Cycling after ankle fusion

SuperChick

I call it start up pain. It is indicative off synovial inflammation. NSAID like Celebrex should help. Ice is very important.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hoff has prescribed Celebrex....started taking it three days ago and it's been a game-changer so far...wish I had started earlier.

Any point in taking any of the products like arthroguard etc or are those a money making racket?

Any point in taking any of the products like arthroguard etc or are those a money making racket?

There is no acceptable science supporting the use of them.

The Hoff has prescribed Celebrex....started taking it three days ago and it's been a game-changer so far...wish I had started earlier.

and lots of Ice. Proven.

I had an ankle fusion done 22 years ago and still have a screw in the ankle. I experience no pain whatsoever when cycling and do between 10 and 20 hours a week. The surgery itself was very painful and I recall that I coudn't put any pressure on my foot for six weeks. No driving my car! But I have never looked back and it's great to be able to walk, run and cycle without pain.

Hey Talus, you seem pretty clued up with the foot? is it just research or is it your line of work?

I have some questions, following my injury and recent follow up visit as mentioned the navicular bone has fused itself to the supporting bones around it. I still have alot of dark colouring in parts of my foot, looks alot like bruising, will this clear up?

Secondly both Orthos that I have seen said I can never run again or do anything that puts impact on my foot, my biggest let down with this is that means i cant play squash anymore - is there any form of brace or shoe insert that i could perhaps try that will protect my foot. I played a game a few weeks ago with no problems, moved around with ease but then took a good week for my foot to settle down again back to what i now call a state of normal.

I wouldn't read too much into colour changes. It is hard to interpret without seeing it. As far as sport is concerned it is very important to know what the other surrounding joints look like. The fused joint ceased to exist as a joint. It is not the concern. The rest of the foot is. If your foot swells and is painful after a specific exercise, it means that (at least for the time being) your body does not like it.

Talus, thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. I have also done some more reading up and referred back to the referral letter of my physio to the ortho. The physio recommended a subtalar joint fusion. The internet nicely explained how it is done etc. I have also come to realize that if I want to be able to walk pain free again, this is the route to go.

Can you advise whether the stiff- and tenderness I experience now with Achilles tendon & plantar facilitis will be resolved with the fusion or will it be aggravated?

The otho also suggested the following due to inflammation in these joints, apologies for the afrikaans "Weil Ostoetomie Metatarsale 2 & 3 eksisie". Will the movement in the joints be affected, it is the same foot as the proposed ankle fusion. The ortho explained that he will shorten the two bones. Is that really neccessary, will the inflammation not subside with medication?

Thanks

I call it start up pain. It is indicative off synovial inflammation. NSAID like Celebrex should help. Ice is very important.

Please insert obligatory (if appropriate) caution about extended endurance exercise and concurrent NSAID use..... I am beginning to sound like a stuck record on the subject..... :) I don't really suppose many people considering fusion will be too keen on extended endurance exercise....

Please insert obligatory (if appropriate) caution about extended endurance exercise and concurrent NSAID use..... I am beginning to sound like a stuck record on the subject..... :) I don't really suppose many people considering fusion will be too keen on extended endurance exercise....

Very valid point. Don't do NSAID if you can dehydrate even a little.

Talus, thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. I have also done some more reading up and referred back to the referral letter of my physio to the ortho. The physio recommended a subtalar joint fusion. The internet nicely explained how it is done etc. I have also come to realize that if I want to be able to walk pain free again, this is the route to go.

Can you advise whether the stiff- and tenderness I experience now with Achilles tendon & plantar facilitis will be resolved with the fusion or will it be aggravated?

The otho also suggested the following due to inflammation in these joints, apologies for the afrikaans "Weil Ostoetomie Metatarsale 2 & 3 eksisie". Will the movement in the joints be affected, it is the same foot as the proposed ankle fusion. The ortho explained that he will shorten the two bones. Is that really neccessary, will the inflammation not subside with medication?

Thanks

The subtalar joint is a very different (and friendlier) kettle of fish. It has very good results and you can definitely cycle afterwards. Weils are done for clawtoes and pain under the ball of the foot. Completely different area (forefoot). Your Achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis are very likely to secondary to your subtalar arthritis and should improve with the fusion and subsequent rest.

Shortening is only needed if the normal harmony of the toes have been disturbed. Mostly this is after an unsuccessful bunionectomy. IMHO

Very valid point. Don't do NSAID if you can dehydrate even a little.

Oops!!!! Was chowing Arcoxia all throughout berg n bush and hell n back last year....

Thanks to everyone for their input, especially Talus.  Best of luck to you Tyga!

Keep us posted