Looking for University of Joburg (UJ) cyclists

I_Cycle_Jozi

Hi hubbers

Are there any riders here that ride to any of the University of Johannesburg campuses (Soweto, Kigsway, Bunting Road, Doornfontein)? The City of Joburg needs active commuters to tell us where cyclists tie up their bikes, where they ride, etc. so that they may guide the infrastructure accordingly. If there are any please get in touch with me, or if you know anyone, please ask them to get in touch with me.

Wits University developed CycleWits which consists of students and lecturers who cycle to university, we want to form something similar at UJ.

Not one?

I hope there is at least one. The City told me there isn't and they going to forget about providing for cyclists at the campus, I told them there are many cyclists! So yeah, please let there be at least one!

http://www.uj.ac.za/...-de-France.aspx

Kenyan-born British professional road racing cyclist and former University of Johannesburg (UJ) student, Chris Froome, won the 100th Tour de France title, finishing more than four minutes ahead of his closest rival in the overall standings.

The 28-year old, who learned to ride on dirt tracks in Kenya, crossed the finish line in Paris, this year, together with his British Team Sky colleagues to become the second Briton to win the title in consecutive years and the first African-born cyclist to ever win the race.

“In 2005, Froome enrolled at UJ for a BCom Entrepreneural degree at the Department of Business Management in the Faculty of Management and now serves as a special inspiration for the UJ squad,” said UJ cycling manager Karel Mouton, who remembered Froome as a very modest, mild mannered and shy student. “He was also very determined and followed advice and training suggestions to the letter.”

“During his student years, there was seldom an occasion when I found him at home when I called. He spent a lot of time on his bike in areas such as Hekpoort, Randfontein, Hartbeespoort Dam or Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve” said Mouton.

Although the all-rounder put his studies on hold in 2007 to pursue a pro racing career, Mouton said Froome could still be found riding the highways of Gauteng during his annual Christmas visit.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

Wow! Ok did not know that. Though it does not help if he no longer studies there, unless during his years at UJ he met some cyclists. Though that would have been a long time ago.

Anyone else?

Sure there are plenty bike commuters at UJ, probably just not many of the demographic that are on / know about the Hub... Mayt need to look elsewhere (contact UJ for notices to students?).

Hi hubbers

Are there any riders here that ride to any of the University of Johannesburg campuses (Soweto, Kigsway, Bunting Road, Doornfontein)? The City of Joburg needs active commuters to tell us where cyclists tie up their bikes, where they ride, etc. so that they may guide the infrastructure accordingly. If there are any please get in touch with me, or if you know anyone, please ask them to get in touch with me.

Wits University developed CycleWits which consists of students and lecturers who cycle to university, we want to form something similar at UJ.

I though it was the cyclists that get tied up for their bikes?

Sure there are plenty bike commuters at UJ, probably just not many of the demographic that are on / know about the Hub... Mayt need to look elsewhere (contact UJ for notices to students?).

Yeah, I am in contact with the transport guys at UJ, told them to announce the initiative to the different schools, and have them pass it on to their students. We are planning another meeting, and I am hoping that by then we can identify a few of these riders.

Well, I drive passed Kingway Campus everyday, never ever seen someone leaving or entering the main entrance on a bicycle before...

Maybe promote it somehow, get one of the cafe's at the student centre to give a discount to all cyclists... something along those lines...

Rea Vaya has stuffed up the roads around UJ to such an extent that I AM AFRAID TO DRIVE THERE

Thanks for that. This initiative is as well looking at ways to make the Campus Square intersection safer for drivers and NMT users. Some bold ideas and proposals are on the table.