Tyre Sealant in Tubes

Paulm

Cheapest best option:

http://youtu.be/IQX3CciWsSg

Its only the cheapest if you have tyres that are compatible.

I dont want to replace my wife's brand new tyres right now, will rather wait until I know she is going to carry on riding and has at least got some use out of them first.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just rode the STBB 2Keep a Breast race, front tube slimed, rear not. Not a single puncture on the front.........SIX punctures on the rear from dubbeltjies!!! Guess Im a convert.

U CANNOT ride bottelary without sealant! Lol...

LOL......wish i had known that before the start! Us south peninsula hicks only know about loose gravel and baboons! Now if only i hadn't cramped so badly i would have enjoyed the scenic walk back!

post-686-1414002617,5452.jpg

Got me one of these...

On a commute to work in the mornings I don't have time to struggle with a puncture...

Thanks for all the advice, it seems the opinion out there is divided.

I researched all the "positive" advice and it seems like the chance of success is equal between sealant in tubes vs. the option to use sealant, tubeless valves, gorilla tape and the existing non tubeless tyres. I will be giving the latter a go within the next week or so.

There seem to be other people in same situation as I find myself in. I am maintaining 7 proper mountain bikes for me, the wife and 3 kids. I am only a weekend rider whenever there is time, my wife is on a bike bi-annually (read some years twice and other years only every second year). The boys are active participants.

The recent tubeless conversion of full on new Schwalbe snake skin tyres etc cannot be justified for all the bicycles in my house. This exercise even gave forth 2 brand new Kenda tyres that are now available for use in my ghetto conversions. 

Thanks again

Tubeless is best but slime in tubes is not far behind 2nd best, still works as planned just make sure you check for whatever caused the puncture every time you get one, because the tube could be punctured again in another location near the original hole if you don't.

Cheapest best option:

On my Rims the Rim join Leaks  do you think the ganster style will work for a quick fix. The other thing is my rims are those thin ones. like 25mm rim tape is about 3mm to wide, will that be an issue for the tubless conversion i read that they might burp air alot?

I need advice on using tyre sealant in existing tubes. Something like Stan's. I don't want to buy the pre-slimed tubes since it did not work for me previously.

I am aware of the advantages of going tubeless but it is not cost effective for all the bicycles in the family. This is my plan for the bikes that are only used a few times a year. It is also to at least use the non tubeless tyres that are lying around.

Firstly I need to know if it is worthwile to explore, secondly advice on inserting with a syringe, cutting and patching afterwards etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

I will put on my flame suit, but, why not just fit tyre liners between your tube and tyre. I used them for years in all conditions. The result..............no punctures for all the time that I used them. Reasonably cheap at Sportsmans warehouse.

I will put on my flame suit, but, why not just fit tyre liners between your tube and tyre. I used them for years in all conditions. The result..............no punctures for all the time that I used them. Reasonably cheap at Sportsmans warehouse.

Not 100% sure. Have to get my mom on Tubeless. The liner route did not work and still aint working 100%. She got a flat with lines few days ago

Cheapest best option:

What he did, works awesome even for no tubeless tires. Fit and forget, well at least for about 6 months, then you can just open the bead and top up stans and there you are goof for another few months. Some non tubeless tires will need more than the recommended amount of stans (don't use other stuff. stans works) and you will need to ride the bike after this conversion to get to sidewalls sealed if they have pinholes.

On my Rims the Rim join Leaks  do you think the ganster style will work for a quick fix. The other thing is my rims are those thin ones. like 25mm rim tape is about 3mm to wide, will that be an issue for the tubless conversion i read that they might burp air alot?

If using the tube as a liner they should not leak on the bead if you use a soap solution to fit them and pump up hard initially.

Archived