2014 UCI Road World Championships Ponferrada

jcza

A seven-rider move was perhaps considered too big but four riders are easier to chase down later in the race.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

????

The four riders in the move are 1:30 ahead of the peloton after the first full lap of the race.

The four breakaways are: Zydrunas Savickas (Lithuania), Matija Kvasina (Croatia), Carlos Quintero (Colombia) and Oleksandr Polivoda (Ukraine).

????

As the race again heads out of Ponferrada, the rain is falling heavily. For some riders, hoping for a sprint finish, it is bad news but for nations like Italy and Spain, hoping for a hard race, rain and wet roads could be decisive.

Andre Greipel drops back to the German team car for a quick technical chat with his coach. Greipel or John Degenkolb will be Germany's protected riders today.

The first climb of the circuit seems no problem for the Elite Men, while the short Mirador climb takes them less than two minutes to climb at speed.

????????

Italy has Manuel Quinziato on the front of the peloton on the climb to set a steady tempo.

????

Several riders have dropped back to their team cars to collect caps as the rain continues to fall.

Archived