Cyclist down at Llandudno entrance

Bernard Horn

A call to Carteblanche should also give it the same air time as the incident in Sea Point when a group of cyclists attcked the guys in a Minivan. Remember they were banned from riding the Argus. Ps there are TOP COPS on this forum. 

That said any news on Alriza`s condition. 

It's for this reason that I have taken to cycling with my GoPro on whenever I ride these days. Simply delete the file if there's nothing to check out after. Group club rides should start doing this on all of their rides if they can! This is the single piece of evidence that got the Sea Point saga the media traction it did! How different would that story have been without the footage?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the first thing we need to do is ask Alriza and her parents if what we are doing is ok. It is in her name and she is going to be behind it all. This I think is important??

this is not for alriza alone. it's just the one of many last straws.

if i had a say, then i would like the heavy hitting personalities to take a close look at the prosecution rate for cycling related traffic offences, and take a public stance on whether or not those prosecutions provide a sustainable deterrent against similar incidents.They can rope in other factors such as safe cycling initiatives, city development plans for cyclists etc, and last but not least, dive deep into cyclist behavior as a contributor to their own problems.

Maybe next Saturday and we can try and get a police go ahead? What do we need for that to happen?

PPA can help us with the guidelines, as there are costs involved. Traffic cops, medics....

if i had a say, then i would like the heavy hitting personalities to take a close look at the prosecution rate for cycling related traffic offences, and take a public on whether or not those prosecutions provide a sustainable deterrent against similar incidents. then they can rope in other factors such as safe cycling initiatives, city development plans for cyclists etc, and last but not least, dive deep into cyclist behavior as a contributor to their own problems.

Right, lets get practical about this then.

Anyone have access to Helen, RoC or Liezel or anyone else with significant profile who are already cyclists?

What exactly would we like them to do?

What are all the initiatives of the PPA safe cycling campaign and how do we make these more visible than just the 1.5m rule they have been lobbying for?

Who is the head of this at PPA and get them to start engaging with the greater cycling public in an accessible and effecient manner.

Anyone have access to Helen, RoC or Liezel or anyone else with significant profile who are already cyclists?

What are all the initiatives of the PPA safe cycling campaign and how do we make these more visible than just the 1.5m rule they have been lobbying for?

Who is the head of this at PPA and get them to start engaging with the greater cycling public in an accessible and effecient manner.

Get in contact with the Willemses from CWC they do a lot of work with Ryan and Liezel as far as I can see.

R O C organised a bike ride last week for a very sick little girl. It had to be postponed to a later date due to around 5000 people wanting to ride. Spoke about Medics, traffic cops, marshalls and so on. This could be about the same magnitude if done correctly. Will se If I have him on my FB page. Will let you know if I manage to contact him.

First thing...

Ride next Saturday? From where to where? Time? I am available all next Saturday and love riding so this is not an issue for me.

May I suggest?

Saturday 11 October?

Camps Bay to Hout Bay and back??

Start at 8am?

I know this may be impossible but we need somewhere to get going with this.

School holidays next week. Many of us will be away with our kids this weekend and\or next weekend, with some fortunate enough to be away the duration between. One Tonner the weekend after that. The calender gets full with summer road season from here on out!

Why not look at doing something before the moonlight mass for this coming Thursday night and that way you make the schedule the easiest for the majority of people to make? It'll be after work hours, not on the school holiday weekend and will already leverage off something like moonlight mass and the gathering that brings?

if i had a say, then i would like the heavy hitting personalities to take a close look at the prosecution rate for cycling related traffic offences, and take a public stance on whether or not those prosecutions provide a sustainable deterrent against similar incidents.They can rope in other factors such as safe cycling initiatives, city development plans for cyclists etc, and last but not least, dive deep into cyclist behavior as a contributor to their own problems.

Would make a change from their usual "click bait" condemn the cyclist stuff they seem to do on a weekly basis when they get hundreds of moron motorists phoning in to complain about how selfish and dangerous cyclists are.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be one "heavy hitting personality" who has come out on their radio or TV show condemning drivers who intimidate, harass or endanger cyclists by driving too close to them or pass them at inappropriate speeds.  I've even heard Ryan O'Connor having a go.

No matter how bad we are I have yet to see a cyclist injure or kill a motorist by crashing into their vehicle.  Even if it was the cyclist's fault.

Any news on Alriza's recovery ?

Sorry guy's, i found out that i need to take the post off, till after the court case, But it's going better with here know and i will keep you guy's up to date with here progress. Thanks for all your words and input in to it all. 

Excellent idea - I agree that this matter be used to make our collective voices heard. The PPA must get involved - either on a watching brief or applying to court to get admitted as an interested party in the proceedings. My concern is the prosecution - an inexperience prosecutor being allocated to the case and the accused (Meneer Evans) represented by a silk. The state is going to need all the relevant evidence to get a conviction - no time to get off on technicalities.

We are watching this case. There is much Liezel can do, but please remember that she is part of the Executive and will take her instructions from the Chairman. In general, we have agreed that Steve Hayward comments on behalf of the PPA Executive. Liezel will attend her first Executive meeting on Monday night and the accident has been added to the agenda.

Archived