Engen Cycle in the City

Spinnekop

So the Engen Cycle in the City Criterium was held on Saturday in Pretoria. 
What an AMAZING event. 

Seems the Pretorianers are sh$*() scared of a little hard racing and about HALF of the entrants pitched up. 

Race was perfectly organised.  Nice after the race entertainment for the whole family and FULL road closure.  For R50 entry fee.

Sure it was short and this style of riding is hard but to me this was what a race should look at and how it should be organised.

Durban and Cape Town.......you guys would be stupid not to support this event.  The amount of time and effort Engen gave for this deserves a good support! 

I loved it and will be back next year. 

I will definitely do this next year! Looked like an amazing day out. Now to get strong enough to keep up with the elites :ph34r:

Great to hear Spinnekop!

Just on your comment about the other cities, Cape Town already has a great criterium series as sponsored by Lights of Linea. They've even had a night criterium in Stellenbosch.

Have to agree Spinnekop... Very well organised... 1 thing that was a bit disappointing was that the organizers shortened the time of the Womans race without notice and they did the last lap with a couple of minutes left to spare...

Elite Mens race was very interesting to watch... Will surely do it next time around... (But will pack a head light) Elites were scary fast in the dark...

I would enter but i see there is no Open mens category... i am not an elite racer, i just want to race for fun - wheres my category??

I would enter but i see there is no Open mens category... i am not an elite racer, i just want to race for fun - wheres my category??

Same, our entire team is sort of inbetween elite and ladies :P

I think they missing out on ALL the weekend warriors.

Lame

So the Engen Cycle in the City Criterium was held on Saturday in Pretoria. 

What an AMAZING event. 

Seems the Pretorianers are sh$*() scared of a little hard racing and about HALF of the entrants pitched up. 

Race was perfectly organised.  Nice after the race entertainment for the whole family and FULL road closure.  For R50 entry fee.

Sure it was short and this style of riding is hard but to me this was what a race should look at and how it should be organised.

Durban and Cape Town.......you guys would be stupid not to support this event.  The amount of time and effort Engen gave for this deserves a good support! 

I loved it and will be back next year. 

You will have your mind blown if you came to Cape Town and saw the Lights by Linea Crit series!! We be havin it for ages!! Also they cater for more categories than Engen :whistling:

I'm looking forward to this one in Cape Town.

I'm riding the CWC Durbie Dash 90 km in the morning and then going through to Town for the race.

I'm going to be finished on Sunday  :eek:

Lame

Not so much.

If you understand Crit racing.......

Wonderfull event.  I would have liked the the vets group to be split.  Something went wrong and I was seeded in the Elite bunch.  I decided what the hell you only die once and went for it.  26 minutes before the elites lapped me but it was the best fun I had on a bike for a while. Will do it again.  Next time with my age peers.

Hi All

I am keeping an eye on the comments  - thanks for the support and also the recommendations - will consider it all for this and next year's events.

@vets - definately going to see what we can do to split into 2 groups - the support of this group was amazing - hope to see the same numbers in CPT.  This time it will be a sprint!

@women - so sorry that your race was shortened - it also caught me by surprize :( ... will make sure it doesnt happen again!!

@weekend warriors - will see what we can do for you - perhaps you can enter the Crazy Cranks where anything goes - and we make it a race?

@Trackies - please support the fixie race!   It is really exciting to watch. There had been 2 events with this category now and so far so good!

@Lights by Linea - thank you for sending your team to PTA in support of the event!   it is great that we work together :)

Now peeps.....please enter, each R50 entry fee for CPT goes towards the Red Cross Children's Hospital :) 

Lame

Yes! Weekend Warriors Category is needed!

CiskaAustin ,would you be able to say how the hell a 40 yr old end up being seeded with the elites?

When is your race in Cape Town?

Wonderfull event.  I would have liked the the vets group to be split.  Something went wrong and I was seeded in the Elite bunch.  I decided what the hell you only die once and went for it.  26 minutes before the elites lapped me but it was the best fun I had on a bike for a while. Will do it again.  Next time with my age peers.

You weren't the only one (40+ to be seeded in Elites)

You weren't the only one (40+ to be seeded in Elites)

There was one more of 46 of age and then one or two of high thirties in our group.  Was looking to have it fixed but the people in the registration tent did not quite seem to know what was going on so I decided if I am going to get my rear end whipped lets do it in style.