First bike EVER. Starting out - help me NOT waste my cash

EttVenter

Hey guys. 

So here's the deal: 

I'm keen on buying my first mountain bike - it'll really be more for recreation and exercise than anything else. I don't see myself doing this as a sport. 

Now, I know that in every industry, there's crap that you can buy for super cheap, and I don't want to make that mistake. 

I just walked into a local cycling shop in PTA, and the guy showed me a few bikes in the R5500 region, and then I said "well I just don't want to buy absolute crap", so then he showed me the GT Karakoram Sport, the 2015 model. It was about R6500, and he said that that would be a good place to start. 

Seemed like a legit guy, but all sales people do.

Is tat a good place to go? My budget is about 7K. I'd be willing to pick up something second hand too. Heck, if I can get an even better bike second hand, I'd totally go that route. 

Thanks in advance

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second hand all the way.

Let us post some stuff on this thread from the classifieds.

First, a couple of questions...

1. size?

2. preference on hardtail vs dual susser (assuming we can find a dualie in your price range)

3. do you have a seperate budget for helmet/gear, or is that included in your R7k?

Hey Ett. It's been a while :D

Get a new bike if you can but try get an older model. Big savings to be had. 

Secondhand is a great option as its a lot cheaper.

Guest notmyname

Look for shop soiled bikes as well. I recently got my dad a 2014 titan(not a big fan) with full xt for R11k

Hey guys. Geez, thanks for the quick replies!

Wayne:

1) I'm a small guy, and the dude at the store said I'd need a Medium.
2) I don't really know the pros and cons of both. In my mind, "dual susser" seems a better choice, but you guys need to educate me on that. Haha. I literally know NOTHING about this stuff.
3) I'm looking at spending 9K on the whole lot. The dude at the store told me I can get away with about 2k on all the other stuff.

Maxxis:

Hey man! Long time! 

Cool, I'm happy to go either way.

For R7K look at Merida, Titan, Silverback, GT, Momsen

The GT you where quoted on was ok for the price but if you willing to spend a bit more so so to get a better spec'd bike. if the bug bites you will end up paying alot more in upgrades on what that bike comes with.

Just My humble Opinion

You should be getting Shimano SLX minimum, or Sram X9.

Fork should be an Air fork.

Brakes should be Hydraulic.

If you a little weary to buy get the shop to give you the make and model and there are alot of folk on here that will help out, you just gonna have to wade through all the BS responses.

Hi

GT Karakoram is a good bike but it boils down to the components more than anything else (my opinion). 

if the bike has Shimano components and considering it will only be for recreation there are many choices. (lower end Shimano Deore would still do well for recreational ride)

even take a look at the TITAN range as value for money goes you can do a lot with about 7K.

always keep in mind this sport is a hard biting bug, i also only got my first bike 5mnths ago and now on 3rd and entering every race i can.

good luck with the choices out there. 

Well that's the thing - I'm not sure I want to spend more. So while I understand the whole "if the bug bites, you're screwed" point, it's not one I'm worried about. 

If, by some miracle, the bug DOES bite, I have a great job, and I can afford to buy another bike if I'm SUPER passionate about it later, but for now, spending 10k+ on a bike feels crazy to me. Haha. 

There's many different types of mountain bike riding even if it's just for recreation. Will you be mostly sticking to jeep track type areas or do you like doing the odd jump and some more technical type riding?

This is going to be for taking out of my garage and cycling in the area I stay in. No crazy jumping, no crazy downhills, etc. 

I know there's lots of great deals in the classifieds, but I don't know what any of them are. Haha.

That Momsen that Shebeen just posted looks great. Worth it?

Well that's the thing - I'm not sure I want to spend more. So while I understand the whole "if the bug bites, you're screwed" point, it's not one I'm worried about.

If, by some miracle, the bug DOES bite, I have a great job, and I can afford to buy another bike if I'm SUPER passionate about it later, but for now, spending 10k+ on a bike feels crazy to me. Haha.

If the bug bites you aren't screwed at all, you just end up with a spare bike.

As Wayne said have a scratch around the classifieds on here you can get a higher spec if you choose wisely.

Archived