First bike EVER. Starting out - help me NOT waste my cash

EttVenter

This is going to be for taking out of my garage and cycling in the area I stay in. No crazy jumping, no crazy downhills, etc. 

I know there's lots of great deals in the classifieds, but I don't know what any of them are. Haha.

That Momsen that Shebeen just posted looks great. Worth it?

Yes, there's a lot of good bikes in this range.

2nd hand you are going to get much better bang for your buck but the risk that there's some serious wear and tear in the bike might mean you going to spend a bit of cash just keeping it going.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, i saw that one as well.

Great bike.

it is, you can get two of mine for one of your Zaskars(also kickass deal)!

This is going to be for taking out of my garage and cycling in the area I stay in. No crazy jumping, no crazy downhills, etc.

I know there's lots of great deals in the classifieds, but I don't know what any of them are. Haha.

That Momsen that Shebeen just posted looks great. Worth it?

No crazy jumps and downhill? That's what they all say...

it is, you can get two of mine for one of your Zaskars(also kickass deal)!

Yep.

or have some bucks leftover for veet for your legs.

No crazy jumps and downhill? That's what they all say...

Hahaha! Well yeah, like I said, that's the plan. 

Then again, that's what I said when I bought my first camera - "Just to shoot some boring crap here and there". Now I'm a photographer by profession. Lol. 

It's also what I said when I got my firs tattoo - "Just want this one on my arm". Now my other arm is sleeved up. Haha. 

So yeah, we'll see how that goes.

So guys - that momsen? This one: - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/108051-brand-new-momsen-al-029-2015-race-tech/

Then again, that's what I said when I bought my first camera - "Just to shoot some boring crap here and there". Now I'm a photographer by profession. Lol.

It's also what I said when I got my firs tattoo - "Just want this one on my arm". Now my other arm is sleeved up. Haha.

So guys - that momsen? This one: - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/108051-brand-new-momsen-al-029-2015-race-tech/

tattooed freak.

;)

Can add my 2 bits here-

I used to road bike and bought my 1st MTB last year- a steel heavy thing. Liked the sport. Sold it and bought an old 26er Specialized hardtail with v brakes. Used that to get into the sport. Crashed and bashed. Was great. Sold that this year.

I this year bought a 29er. A small size as I am not so tall (26er was a medium frame). 29inch is faster but 26 was more nimble on tight twisties. Overall the 29 is better me thinks.

So I ended up with good value I think- A silverback sola 3. Has an air shock, SLX on the back and hydr discs. I wanted new and bought new. One can pay a few k less for used but new got me a few free services, advice, fitting, and a brand new bike which is cool.

I paid upper 8k but now it would be lower 8k due to year end. What I did was change the tires- maxxis sphinx off and racing ralphs on, much better. Sphinx to me seemed more a semi slick type tire. I did a few other small things (bar ends, I like to climb with them) and put on cleats which make a difference.

I am very happy with the bike and silverback is quality and value and good entry value starting point. I'd love a full sus carbon, but that is outta my price point for now.

Hope that helps.

Whatever you get- get hydr brakes, and minimum slx on back if you can. Air shock to me makes a huge difference too. The GTs geometry is amazing, best I test rode.

Then again, that's what I said when I bought my first camera - "Just to shoot some boring crap here and there". Now I'm a photographer by profession. Lol. 

So guys - that momsen? This one: - https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/108051-brand-new-momsen-al-029-2015-race-tech/

Fork stanchions on this one look better than the steel option in the one I posted above. (The tubes that slide into the bottom part of the front suspension) Rest of the components look similar. Think the model you posted is slightly better than the link I posted.

This is the type of bike you are looking at to get started and enjoy yourself on whilst you learn!

Archived