Braamfontein Spruit

papelucho1982

Totally overblown. My brother and I ride it 2 to 3 time a week often early mornings before sunrise. We've never had a scary moment. I prefer to ride with a partner but as long as its light I'll happily ride it alone.

Only one way to find out for yourself is to get on your bike and ride the Spruit.

The main difference between the Spruit and places such as Northern Farm, Modderfontein, Thaba, etc. is that it is a municipal "greenbelt". Thus, it's open to anyone and everyone. 

There are quite a few bums living along the Spruit, but I think they ignore the cyclists for the most part.

To me the upper part (Fratelli's and up) feels a lot safer than the bottom. Can go alone and still get the distance if you include delta park and that other park near Emmerentia.

Else insure your bike and MTFU :)

I ride the spruit most weekends, from Bryanston drive to Northcliff hill and back.

There are a few spots that I wouldnt do late in the afternoon, like from Ballyclare to the PnP on William Nicol, and maybe from PNP to Fratelis, but from there to Emerantia park and Delta park its great.

Some people bad mouth the spruit, but I basically cycle to it from home, and have ridden it for years and never felt I needed to be concerned.

During the rainy season, I would watch out for some of the mud pits that can be deeper than you think, and I never know whats in the mud.......so use a camel pack, if you want to avoid a muddy bottle, but that goes for most placed these days!

Happy to give you a guide this Sunday, we will more than likely start at the PnP from around 8 and will do around 35km with a stop at Vida Cafe for a coffee in Greenside before heading back to the PnP for around 10:30ish

I ride the spruit most weekends, from Bryanston drive to Northcliff hill and back.

There are a few spots that I wouldnt do late in the afternoon, like from Ballyclare to the PnP on William Nicol, and maybe from PNP to Fratelis, but from there to Emerantia park and Delta park its great.

Some people bad mouth the spruit, but I basically cycle to it from home, and have ridden it for years and never felt I needed to be concerned.

During the rainy season, I would watch out for some of the mud pits that can be deeper than you think, and I never know whats in the mud.......so use a camel pack, if you want to avoid a muddy bottle, but that goes for most placed these days!

Happy to give you a guide this Sunday, we will more than likely start at the PnP from around 8 and will do around 35km with a stop at Vida Cafe for a coffee in Greenside before heading back to the PnP for around 10:30ish

Just a heads up, with JUMA happening some sections might be closed.

Just a heads up, with JUMA happening some most sections might will be closed.

That's going to be an interesting dynamic on Sunday: people wanting to ride the Spruit outside of Juma ride. Guess there has been posters up along the trail for a while now so people should know about it (?)

Just a heads up, with JUMA happening some sections might be closed.

Thanks good point forgot about that......maybe I will just ride bandit style :ph34r:

Archived