Jhb JUMA ends cycling for me ...my rant

MTB0007

Well, if I received half a bar for burning my mouth from a hot cup of coffee I'd be a happy camper.

I know my deLonghi bean to cup machine will never do that to me, nor will my Nespresso machine ever spew anything that hot out

Actually, she suffered third-degree burns on 6% of her skin and lesser burns over 16%. She was in hospital for 8 days for a skin graft. During this time, she lost 9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight - reducing her to 38 kg. She suffered "permanent disfigurement" after the incident and was "partially disabled for up to two years afterwards".

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if I received half a bar for burning my mouth from a hot cup of coffee I'd be a happy camper.

I know my deLonghi bean to cup machine will never do that to me, nor will my Nespresso machine ever spew anything that hot out

It was her leg.

Which, apparently, makes all the difference.

Actually, she suffered third-degree burns on 6% of her skin and lesser burns over 16%. She was in hospital for 8 days for a skin graft. During this time, she lost 9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight - reducing her to 38 kg. She suffered "permanent disfigurement" after the incident and was "partially disabled for up to two years afterwards".

An american woman eating at McDees who weighs 46kg?  

gots to agree D....mtb'ing, it is what it is...you make peace with the fact that you will have a lie down now and again. Blaming someone for falling is lame. Don't do it again if its not for you.

I didnt do the JUMA myself, there were just too many people on a course that couldnt handle that amount and due to my seeding would have me waiting around every turn.

Hands up everyone who has made a hasty judgement call to overtake then smashed a rock/termite mound/hole in the bushes. I know I've had my share.

I don't think the organisers should be completely blameless. They allowed far too many entries, some of the structures were not great (steel scaffolding is hectically slippery as Wyatt pointed out) etc but to try to force the cancellation of the race and start chatter about class action suits is pathetic.

Half the hub heroes complain when the course isn't technical enough then the other half complain when the course is too technical. Are there any happy people left here? Hell - we get out on our bikes to escape the jhb stress, work on our tans and get some exercise - can't we leave the boardroom mentality at the office?

I once dropped a hot cup of coffee on my crotch - as I took the lid off hot polystyrene pretty much flopped and the whole cup landed on my sausage and meatballs.

It hurt like fark and I wore a towel for 5 days - I still have some minor scars from the blisters.

What did I do about it?

Reminded myself that hot polystyrene aint so strong and that I should put a finger or 3 UNDER the cup when I take the lid off.

Suing people because your coffee is hot. The mind boggles. Winning your case? The mind flipping spins.

Well said Eldron .If I can get of my bike and walk from an A or B seeding then everybody can .I did that when there was that van Gaalens wimpering about being to technical .If you cannot ride or see danger it is up to you when you relax your ego and get of and walk .MTB,ing is a dangerous activity and if you cannot handle it then stay away .W2W 2012 there was the new pofadder section that you had the choice to ride or bail .I rode pofadder but realized very early this is just stupidly dangerous and walked .My ego can handle that .I fell on another spot and dislocated my finger .That there was another spot I should have gotten of and walked .PUSHING or carrying  your bike is still MTBing

I once dropped a hot cup of coffee on my crotch - as I took the lid off hot polystyrene pretty much flopped and the whole cup landed on my sausage and meatballs.

It hurt like fark and I wore a towel for 5 days - I still have some minor scars from the blisters.

What did I do about it?

Reminded myself that hot polystyrene aint so strong and that I should put a finger or 3 UNDER the cup when I take the lid off.

Suing people because your coffee is hot. The mind boggles. Winning your case? The mind flipping spins.

The US has no-fault liability for corporates, i.e. the corporation does not have to be negligent to be held liable...

To the OP - I hope that you heal up quickly. Your name implies that you are old but your profile says you are 46! WAY TO YOUNG TO QUIT MTB.

Personally I loved the race. I rode the drains like I was riding on egg shells and made sure that I kept a good distance to the person in front of me in case of any slips or slides. I am not saying that I should be lauded and you are a bad cyclist. All I am saying is that it was a very different course that required some careful decision making and ride planning. I remember thinking to myself how the front runners racing to win must have kakked off in the drains with the drops and slime.

I hope that you are back on the IDT soon

The US has no-fault liability for corporates, i.e. the corporation does not have to be negligent to be held liable...

That's a bunch of bully if you ask me. That they have that. It boggles.

This is a tough one, on the one hand I say, its mountain Biking crashes are par for the course........BUT on the other hand.....I do feel organisers have a responsibility to deliver a course suitable for 1. The amount of riders allowed to enter 2. Considering the amount of riders you will have a good idea of the skill level. eg an Enduro of 200 riders will have a totally different skill level than an Urban adventure of 5000 riders of which maybe 1000 have any real technical skills. As far as this been billed as a technical ride, I am not so sure about that. All those street posters to me was just marketing blah blah to talk up the vibe around the event.

If the point that its mountain biking, so man up to the course and don't moan when you get hurt stands true then why doesn't the average weekend event have 1m drop offs, extreme gnarly rocky downhills etc?? Because it doesn't make SENSE. People will get hurt and this can be forseen by the organisers. Organisers cannot, in my opinion be fully absolved of responsibility in route design. If they could forsee that a certain part of the course would be more dangerous than the standard mtb event that the majority of the participants have as a reference point than they should be held accountable. Even if they did advertise the race as " Be careful, this is very technical, approach with care" and still accept 5000 entries, that is irresponsible. This should be taken into account when looking at the route, the participants and the anticipated skill levels of the participants. 5000 riders sent down a storm water drain where if they go off line into the water they have a 95% chance of going down was irresponsible. That's the bottom line.

I did not do the race, the maths didn't make sense to me - 5000 riders through storm drains, I think not. Glad I stayed away. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this was going to be a mess.

That's a bunch of bully if you ask me. That they have that. It boggles.

We are going the same way with our Consumer Protection Act....give it a few years.

An american woman eating at McDees who weighs 46kg?  

"one cwaffeeee, hold the cream, hold the milk, hold the sugar....." :whistling:

We are going the same way with our Consumer Protection Act....give it a few years.

A few years is about right...the ConComm has a huge backlog. 

To the OP - damn sorry about your fall and I sincerely hope that you get well soon. Don't give up on biking just yet - heal up and get back on, you'll regret it if you don't.

Not that this is in anyway the same but I saw dudes with prosthetic limbs (not Oscar) doing the Epic - never give up.

Didn't do the ride myself so can't comment on that.

Archived