New 27.5/650B Bike

dev  null

Hi there folks.  Time has finally come to say farewell to my trusty 26er.  I have resisted the wheel size urge till now.

I need some help deciding which is the better option.

I am currently looking at the following 2 options:

1. Giant Anthem Advance 27.5 1

2. Pyga OneTwenty 650B Frame and then built it up from there.

I do some mid distance races, some trail riding, but also want to give my son an additional option to use for XCO races for the more technical and tight races.  He has a 29er hardtail.

Absolutely no Specialized.  I don't like their servicing policies.  I would not want to go over R45k.

Please advise.

For racing the lighter Anthem will only bring you smiles, but on trails the extra travel and slacker geometry of the Pyga will be the better call.

Both will be excellent options.

Pyga is going to to be a nice option for you. If you want a 650 race bike there are also some nice 650 converted rocky element teams around for. Good price with full xtr and Dt hubs

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, my mind says Anthem, my heart Pyga.  Then I also love the Rocky Mountain bikes, price of them being my only barrier.  Not sure I would go for a converted option though.

I have been riding the 120 travel one with no problems for. 6 months now with no problems, only down side is narrowish tyres for the rear. There is also a msl 70 for sale for a good price on the hub.

Edited by Matchstix

pyga.

I've recently bought a trail bike and will not buy a race bike again.  trail bikes are also not as slow as people would like you to believe.  I'm on a 140mm travel 650B trail bike and I manage to keep up with mates on 29" spez epics without too much of a stretch

Love my Anthem 27.5. I have the Alu version, it's such a great bike, climbs like a mountain goat and descends just as well, and it's flippin fast.

The Pyga!! But I am biased...

It pedals really well and it won the MBUK trailbike shoot out last year against much more "hardcore" longer travel opposition.