Best bike for money?

Kragvark

Whats the best mtb for first time riders? Best bang for a buck?

That's a bit like how long is a piece of string. There are plenty people here to give excellent advice on what to buy, but give them some idea of your budget and type of riding and I'm sure you'll get plenty of options to look out for.

If you don't have a specific budget, then start with the basics:

1. Shimano Disc Brakes (Deore M615 minimum), they just work and resin brake pads are fairly cheap

2. Air Fork (no coil) to save on weight and have some adjust-ability (Suntour Epicon or Rockshox Gold/Reba as Minimum)

3. 2 Piece Crankset because the external cup BB is very easy to find when you need it.

Then based on your budget you can go for hard tail (cheaper to buy and maintain) or Dual Suspension (at least R5k more than hard tail with comparable components, but much more comfortable on long rides and probably faster as well because of better traction).

The kind of bike will very much depend on the riding you do, and since you did not specify I will assume that a Cross Country (XC) Hard Tail will probably be best, R15-R20k is the sweet spot for a nice bike that does not break the bank (Silverback Sola 1, Merida Big Nine Lite 1000, Momsen AL429/529, and some others of similar spec/price).

For 1st time rider you can go much cheaper and still have the first two must haves (basics), possibly get as low as R8000 for a nice XC hard tail (like the Silverback Sola 3 or even the Sola 4).

I would also suggest a 29er for starters, the stability gives you a lot more confidence.

Edited by johanpre44

I agree with the above. I personally ride a Sola 1 and the spec is unbeatable at that price point :thumbup: The Momsens are also great. Especially the AL529 with it's external bearings and Rockshox Reba

Im looking for a hardtail 29er for me and my wife, what brand is gona offer me the most (air shocks xt driveset ect) for the least amount of money? Budget is around 20G for both?

+1 on Silverback.

10k will get you a well spec's entry level hard tail.

Momsen also has a few options.

Just do your research and don't go to a place like cajees cycles. They will rip u a new one.

Something from the classifieds. (Ie. Used)

That way if you figure cycling is not your cup of tea, you won't lose that much when re-selling (used apposed to new)

Im looking for a hardtail 29er for me and my wife, what brand is gona offer me the most (air shocks xt driveset ect) for the least amount of money? Budget is around 20G for both?

Why is XT that important to you? Like others have suggested, I'll say the Sola 3 is a good buy in your price range. Will leave you with a bit of change for extras.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Don't worry about XT, its brilliant but pricey. Shimano's Deore and SLX drivetrains both work brilliantly, and for your budget I would suggest that your stick to Deore.

If you are buying 2 bikes you should be able to get a good discount at a bike shop, remember that you need to include the helmets and a proper set of cycling shorts in the price.

I also like Silverback, my wife has got a Sola 4 which I got at a steal. For the amount of riding she does the 8 speed drivetrain works very well. For R20k you should be able to get a Sola 2 and a Sola 3 and maybe some helmets.

Best (entry level)bang for budget in my opinion is the Momsen AL129. Great starter components with everything remaining suitably future-proof. 9speed Sram X5/X7 is plenty good to start without breaking the bank.

The only gripe I have with it is the Tektro brakes and maybe the wheels, but in time you can check the classifieds for a good replacement and be sitting with a great ripper of a bike.

I bought one of these for my nephew to ride a few weeks back.

We both ride XL frames so I have given it a spin and am quite impressed with it.

Retails for R12K, but discounts are going if you ask, especially if you are buying 2.

Full Deore Groupset (2x10)

2014 GT Bicycles Zaskar 9R Sport.pdf

post-25449-0-76560300-1414562389_thumb.jpg

I got a bit of discount and got myself a Specialized Stumpjumper 29. Moerse nice. Done Sani and Duzi 2 C twice on it and still no issues.

Best (entry level)bang for budget in my opinion is the Momsen AL129. Great starter components with everything remaining suitably future-proof. 9speed Sram X5/X7 is plenty good to start without breaking the bank.

The only gripe I have with it is the Tektro brakes and maybe the wheels, but in time you can check the classifieds for a good replacement and be sitting with a great ripper of a bike.

Couldn't agree with you more. I started with a AL129 a year ago and absolutely loved it. Now that I'm getting fitter and more skilled, I've started upgrading. First up the brakes (SLX) and currently looking at wheels (Arch EX/Hope). Soon to follow in the new year will be a 1x10 conversion.

Really good way of ending up with the right bike for you by choosing the correct upgrades and doing it over time helps the wallet!

Edited by jasssper