First day commuting!

traaidmark

Every morning on my drive from Parklands to Woodstock I sit a good 45 minutes watching cyclist pass me with smiles all around. I recently moved down, and I asked about the safety and logistics of a commute on here before, but have never had the courage or fitness to actually do it.

Like I said, every morning I see hundreds of you okes on the road, so I figured, alll good, lot's of people to keep me company and make me not die.

Well, this morning I got the courage (not the fitness) together and did my first commute to work! My wife even joined for her first ever commute to work, so the first few km's we rode together, and I split off for the long haul to Cape Town.

The first thing I noticed was the complete lack of people riding with me. I was alone pretty much until I got to Paarden Eiland. The second thing I noticed was how unfit I really am (this would be the longest ride I've done this year, I know, I know, I know). The third thing I noticed was how lekker it was. Looking at the ships, the ocean, even paarden eiland was lekker to go through. The Woodstock stretch was short, but tense.

I left roughly 10 minutes earlier than I leave in my car, and got to work roughly the same time I would get work if I drove. Not bad. If I keep this up and get a bit stronger I should be able to shave a few minutes off that.

Also. It hurts to walk. It's going to be a long, slow, painful ride home this afternoon. I kinda hope the wind picks up to give me a push home.

I think I will try to do this like once or twice a week for a while, until I have the strength and fitness to go more regularly.

Every morning on my drive from Parklands to Woodstock I sit a good 45 minutes watching cyclist pass me with smiles all around. I recently moved down, and I asked about the safety and logistics of a commute on here before, but have never had the courage or fitness to actually do it.

Like I said, every morning I see hundreds of you okes on the road, so I figured, alll good, lot's of people to keep me company and make me not die.

Well, this morning I got the courage (not the fitness) together and did my first commute to work! My wife even joined for her first ever commute to work, so the first few km's we rode together, and I split off for the long haul to Cape Town.

The first thing I noticed was the complete lack of people riding with me. I was alone pretty much until I got to Paarden Eiland. The second thing I noticed was how unfit I really am (this would be the longest ride I've done this year, I know, I know, I know). The third thing I noticed was how lekker it was. Looking at the ships, the ocean, even paarden eiland was lekker to go through. The Woodstock stretch was short, but tense.

I left roughly 10 minutes earlier than I leave in my car, and got to work roughly the same time I would get work if I drove. Not bad. If I keep this up and get a bit stronger I should be able to shave a few minutes off that.

Also. It hurts to walk. It's going to be a long, slow, painful ride home this afternoon. I kinda hope the wind picks up to give me a push home.

I think I will try to do this like once or twice a week for a while, until I have the strength and fitness to go more regularly.

Welcome and congrats on your first commute in!

Good news is that the wind should be SE by this afternoon :)

Our group did a pre-work ride at Contermans this morning, so our morning commute was split between those who drove back and some who cycled back from Table View to town.

What time do you leave in the mornings and afternoons?

We leave the VET at Bayside at 6:45am and have two groups leaving town as of late ... a quicker 5:10 group and a more relaxed 5:20 group.

The strength and fitness comes quik. The only problem at this stage is that you will need time to recover but it is wont be long before you start taking detours just to make the rides last longer. I have considered commuting my 50 km to work and 50 back if it was not for Tembisa smack in the middle and bad roads around it and also that my company has no showers.

Welcome and congrats on your first commute in!

Good news is that the wind should be SE by this afternoon :)

Our group did a pre-work ride at Contermans this morning, so our morning commute was split between those who drove back and some who cycled back from Table View to town.

What time do you leave in the mornings and afternoons?

We leave the VET at Bayside at 6:45am and have two groups leaving town as of late ... a quicker 5:10 group and a more relaxed 5:20 group.

I guess it's the 6:45 group I see on the road every morning then!

I left my house at 06h10am this morning, and got to work at 07h03. I start work at 07h30 in the mornings, so it worked out okay for me. I leave work at 4 if there are no late evenings. Guess I'm slap bang in the middle. 

Ag, I'll push on, get fit and join the fast groups when I can!

Out of interest. what time in the morning do you preride at contermans?

The strength and fitness comes quik. The only problem at this stage is that you will need time to recover but it is wont be long before you start taking detours just to make the rides last longer. I have considered commuting my 50 km to work and 50 back if it was not for Tembisa smack in the middle and bad roads around it and also that my company has no showers.

That won't be a problem. I am taking this easy. Like I said, once or twice per week until I feel strong enough to do more.

I did that stretch for 8 years commuting every day.

Benefits will be the following:

1. Effectively getting back around 90 minutes to 2 hours of your day, as you don't have to try and make that amount of time for training after driving home. It's part of riding in!

2. Getting 200kms of Monday through Friday training in without adding any detours for extra saddle time.

3. Arriving at work in a completely different disposition than if you had driven in.

4. Petrol funds saved.

5. Getting a completely different appreciation for the city from the seat of your bike figuring out safe back routes to get around.

6. Vastly improved fitness and cycling strength!

7. Meeting fellow commuters and sharing the road!

Enjoy every moment!

I guess it's the 6:45 group I see on the road every morning then!

I left my house at 06h10am this morning, and got to work at 07h03. I start work at 07h30 in the mornings, so it worked out okay for me. I leave work at 4 if there are no late evenings. Guess I'm slap bang in the middle. 

Ag, I'll push on, get fit and join the fast groups when I can!

Out of interest. what time in the morning do you preride at contermans?

We start at sunrise, that is 5:45am at the moment and will get earlier as we go further into summer.

We are trying for Tuesday Hoogies, Wednesday Table Mountain (been slack with this as of late, but from next week will be back on my radar) and then Thursdays at Conters.........then the odd Friday will be thrown in when the weather is good and the legs have gotten a little fitter.

As an indication, see attached this weeks Tygerberg rides.

Hoogies:

http://www.strava.com/activities/212584959

Conters:

http://www.strava.com/activities/213375789

Well done!!

Have been staying here for a year and mustered up the courage to commute a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loving it.

Best bit was mentioning it to one of my cycling buddies at a braai one evening only to find out he commutes also from time to time by his lonesome on the same route.

We are hitting the road now at least 2 times a week and more. Have to say I can feel the difference in my attitude at the office and my strength on the bike. It beats sitting in the gym on a bike that goes absolutely nowhere.

Stay safe and enjoy every moment of it.

We start at sunrise, that is 5:45am at the moment and will get earlier as we go further into summer.

We are trying for Tuesday Hoogies, Wednesday Table Mountain (been slack with this as of late, but from next week will be back on my radar) and then Thursdays at Conters.........then the odd Friday will be thrown in when the weather is good and the legs have gotten a little fitter.

As an indication, see attached this weeks Tygerberg rides.

Hoogies:

http://www.strava.com/activities/212584959

Conters:

http://www.strava.com/activities/213375789

That's awesome. Your pace is a bit much for me though. Lemme toughen up a bit more, then I will come out with you okes.

Look forward to it.

Archived