Deforestation

SupaTiti

1)  In Tokai its called H A R V E S T I N G.

2)  Yes we all would prefer pines to ride in

3)  Leaving one pine plantation on the mountain should make a difference to the eco of the mountain

4)  No we can't do anything because you don't own the land or the trees

5)  Its like asking Raibow Chicken not to slaughter the chickens because they look quite.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it (not read the whole thread, so apologies for redundancy here) is that it's a vrot situation now, but in 50 years, it'll be paradise. Yes, we won't be here, but what you're seeing now, all the trees cut down and bare earth, is far worse than when those plantations were first planted. Pity we won't get to see the results. But well done to those that took the hard decisions

5)  Its like asking Raibow Chicken not to slaughter the chickens because they look quite.

They look quite what?

The way I see it (not read the whole thread, so apologies for redundancy here) is that it's a vrot situation now, but in 50 years, it'll be paradise. Yes, we won't be here, but what you're seeing now, all the trees cut down and bare earth, is far worse than when those plantations were first planted. Pity we won't get to see the results. But well done to those that took the hard decisions

I looked into the timeframe for regeneration. It may not be nearly as long as you suggest. Yes in 50 years it will be pristine and would by then have needed about 3 burns, but in the short term, we are in for a good bit of shelter within 5 years. 

200 Silvertree have gone into the Mamba slope, they grow at a rate of up 500mm per year and with the Pine coming out and the mountain filling with water, we will more than likely see this growth rate. They grow to look like a full on tree. Add to their presence, the Wild Olive which is already strewn across Cobra, we will be riding in a natural afro-montain forest real soon, dodging snakes.. 

200 Silvertree have gone into the Mamba slope, they grow at a rate of up 500mm per year and with the Pine coming out and the mountain filling with water, we will more than likely see this growth rate. They grow to look like a full on tree. Add to their presence, the Wild Olive which is already strewn across Cobra, we will be riding in a natural afro-montain forest real soon, dodging snakes.. 

Can't wait...  :clap:

Plantation - planted/mono-culture activity for commercial purposes <not so sterile as some might suggest, that argument for another thread>

You are absolutely correct but you must take into consideration climate and type of species found in different parts of SA/world...

Pine in a plantation however, by comparison to what is natural, is grossly more sterile. 

The garden route area was once a lush natural forrest. This made way for thousands of hectares of pine plantations (the plantation owners apparently rent from the state).

I read an article that when the plantations are felled, the leases will not be renewed and the plantation owners will have to rehabilitate the land back to it's original state.

Perhaps the same is happening in Tokai

I ride a lot in various forests/plantations here. If you stop and listen to the bird life in the forests (mainly yellow-wood) here, then do the same in the plantations, there's a remarkable difference. I see more game in the plantations though, but that's because of the clearer sight lines.

I enjoy riding through both, mature commercial plantations are cool, and they have mushrooms :) Love hearing the Louries/tureco in the forests and catching glimses of bushbuck and lynx.

I looked into the timeframe for regeneration. It may not be nearly as long as you suggest. Yes in 50 years it will be pristine and would by then have needed about 3 burns, but in the short term, we are in for a good bit of shelter within 5 years. 

50 years was a guess (clearly), but your research is good news. And as a previous poster said, this is real progress.

I've found pine plantations to be sterile places. Endemic birds, and insects aren't generally adapted to live there. Birdies and bugs will love the new growth!

Archived