SANParks Permits

LUVBIKE1

SANParks are now charging an extra bicycle tax when visiting Cape Point - on the road - just because!!!  A bit like, if  the city of cape town started charging bike commuters extra.

More detail please.

Do they make you pay more, over and above your day entry?

Does it apply when you ride your bike into the reserve, or only if you arrive by car with bikes on the bike rack, intending to ride in the reserve? 

What if you already have an Activity Card, that is supposed to cover Cape Point also.

What if you have a Wild Card that allow you free entry? Do they still make you pay more if you arrive on a bike (as opposed to driving up in a car)?

More detail please.

Do they make you pay more, over and above your day entry?

Does it apply when you ride your bike into the reserve, or only if you arrive by car with bikes on the bike rack, intending to ride in the reserve? 

What if you already have an Activity Card, that is supposed to cover Cape Point also.

What if you have a Wild Card that allow you free entry? Do they still make you pay more if you arrive on a bike (as opposed to driving up in a car)?

Are you okes making this up as you go along???

Seems pretty clear to me

http://www.sanparks.co.za/parks/table_mountain/tourism/access-cards-permits.php#permits

...but do the guys at the gate know that?

I dont think everyone appreciates just how valid a point you are making here.

I'm pretty sure some of the bouncers aren't well enough informed.

About 2 weeks back I tried getting in at tokai using the receipt I got when paying for my activity card.

I had previously lost my card and hadn't had the opportunity to go and have them give me a new one.

The offices were closed the morning I got there. So I just went to the gate assuming the guy would let me pass.

I figured that certainly my receipt should be proof enough since it shows the date of issue, my permit number and the amount I paid. I mean the day pass receipts barely have any info at all.

But no. I was denied entry.

I was told that my receipt was not valid since it displays the wrong amount (R460 clearly shown)

and that it is expired (septembter 2014 issue date also clearly shown)

and that I shouldnt try stunts like these. WTF?

The thing is though, if the guy had told me. Listen, I cant let you in based on that receipt because we are not allowed to. I would have understood. Pissed, but I wouldn't flame him coz hey, I lost my card and his his just doing his job. But don't tell me that I'm trying to pull stunts. And that you can deny entry to whomever you want as if you are the Grand Vizier of Tokai.

“We recognised that when Table Mountain was declared a national park, users that were able to actively enjoy the park would fear being restricted because the focus was now on conserving our unique natural heritage. However, the park embraced the obligation to recreational use by zoning the park according to ecologically significant areas and designating areas for certain recreational activities.  Furthermore, park management engaged with recreational users to develop codes of conduct that would reduce the conflict between users and mitigate impact on the environment.  For example, in some areas dog walking may be separated from cycling, while in other areas dogs are not allowed at all, as in the Cape Point section of the park,” said park manager, Paddy Gordon.

Are you okes making this up as you go along???

Seems pretty clear to me

http://www.sanparks.co.za/parks/table_mountain/tourism/access-cards-permits.php#permits

Take Gamkaskloof ''Die Hel,'' We did a ride [NOT THE RACE] in there 3 weeks back. Paid the accomModation and the daily conservation fee, we road in and out on bikes, only one car went in.... but they wanted a R50 per day fee per bike !!! I'm sorry but if I've paid the conservation fee, then it's paid and done! If I had the Wild card the same would apply, but then at Kogelberg I only need the WILD CARD... it's insane, they just make it up as they go along.

If I am not mistaken Die Hel is a Cape Nature reserve. Different entity, nothing to do with San Parks.

So according to this even with the level 3 card, if not on your bike, you still pay. How does that make sense?

Drive in with the bike in your car and you're sorted.

Archived