Bridgestone Route 66

Chris NewbyFraser

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode the section from lanseria to harties today, route is technical as always. Would suggest tyres with sidewall potection, the rocks are sharp. Wife also almost lost a deraileur today.

Confidence and momentum is key for this section.

A 160mm bike will also make it a lot more fun and comfortable

Rode the section from lanseria to harties today, route is technical as always. Would suggest tyres with sidewall potection, the rocks are sharp. Wife also almost lost a deraileur today.

Confidence and momentum is key for this section.

A 160mm bike will also make it a lot more fun and comfortable

and if you stuck behind a slower rider patience is key on this section, one of the hardest falls i have ever seen was a "hero" going to the right to "pass" another slower rider,,,,,,,,did not end well at all

Right on Dips.

That route is deceptively dangerous.

Plenty of time on the dirt road climb after the singletrack to pass.

after riding this section and the stretch to VG, I am feeling a wee bit disappointed that I cant do this race. However, wife is feeling a bit flu-ish so I may get an opportunity still...(Evil laugh....)

Has anyone received information on where we pick up our race numbers from?

Confirmation email said it will be confirmed. Have tried the queries number and sent an email and had no response.

Can we collect on race day?

Has anyone received information on where we pick up our race numbers from?

Confirmation email said it will be confirmed. Have tried the queries number and sent an email and had no response.

Can we collect on race day?

This was on FB yesterday

Attention all Bridgestone Route 66 MTB Challenge riders! Rider registration will take place at the Baron on Main in Bryanston on Tuesday, February 10, from 12h00 to 17h00. Diarise!

Joburg's hottest new radio station, Hot 91.9 FM, will be broadcasting live from the event!

Hi guys with 1x10 what do u recommend for this race 32 or 34 up front with 36/12 at back?

day 1 and 2 more climbing, dont be fooled by the distance or the accent its hard on the legs day 3 flatish and fast 

This was on FB yesterday

Attention all Bridgestone Route 66 MTB Challenge riders! Rider registration will take place at the Baron on Main in Bryanston on Tuesday, February 10, from 12h00 to 17h00. Diarise!

Joburg's hottest new radio station, Hot 91.9 FM, will be broadcasting live from the event!

Thank you Mojoman! Hadn't thought of FB.

Rode the section from Chicken Pie near Lanseria to van Gaalens via the Mike's Hill (on Strava) the week-end, man it was a tough day out, with 67km and 1180m climbing. Not sure what of this is covered in the race, but that 1st section is hectic sharp rocks and you need to have technical confidence or you'll be walking a lot.

Riding a 34 with 11-36 combo, wish I had a 32 actually for this route.

This has to be one of the best training routes for any goal you have as it includes something of everything mtb can throw at you.

Edited by Kraggie

Rode the section from Chicken Pie near Lanseria to van Gaalens via the Mike's Hill (on Strava) the week-end, man it was a tough day out, with 67km and 1180m climbing. Not sure what of this is covered in the race, but that 1st section is hectic sharp rocks and you need to have technical confidence or you'll be walking a lot.

Riding a 34 with 11-36 combo, wish I had a 32 actually for this route.

This has to be one of the best training routes for any goal you have as it includes something of everything mtb can throw at you.

ITS A GREAT TRAINING RUN FOR SANI, IF YOU CAN MAINTAIN FITNESS THROUGH TO SANI or build obviously, 

the technical part was the issue last time i done it the guys get very demoerin when guys start pushing, i think they should have longer climbs before throwing all those hungry animals into such a narrow technical section to avoid huge falls and JAMS

You can see Leverage Corp had the working people in mind when they make registration at baron in bryanston from 12 to 5.

OR THEY just tracked the hubs most acive post time and figured ,,,,cyclists dont work anyway :whistling:

Looking at the entry cost of a 3 day event with no accomodation, I figured this is not the race for the working class anyways.

But now kippie, has to collect the SO's racepack ( i'm just extremely luckiy i have a meeting next door to the baron at 11 )

If i did not have the meeting, i would have been less than impressed travelling from jhb town side to bryanston and back for a racepack.