I assume you can't use a QR for a horizontal dropout on a SS?

James Mulholland

I'm exploring a frame change in order to finally build the no-hassle, stripped-down Single Speed I've always wanted. I  want to avoid chain tensioners (simplicity and a clean look) so I'm looking at steel frames with horizontal dropouts. I'm quickly realising that these kinds of things are going to require changes elsewhere, such as with my wheels which are currently 9mmQR.

I think the dropouts on most of the frames I'm looking at are around 10mm. This is a bit of a noob question but what kind of hubs/locking mechanism am I going to need for the rear wheel? And is there any way I can convert my current QR (and no it's not something built with that in mind, like a Hope hub)?

A QR can possibly work, if it's a Shimano or a DT Swiss RWS. Anything with an external cam will slip on the first pedal stroke.

Bolt-on skewers should also work, there are a few makes around.

Best would be a dedicated SS hub though. Hope and WTB are the two that spring to mind. Unless you've got King, Phil Wood or White Industries cash to throw around of course.

What hub are you running now?

Soma, Momsen str, Kona Unit and Honza and various other frames use sliding vertical dropouts to take up chain tension. Also look at bikes with an EBB, Niner or some 'Dales and a few others.... This way you can run a regular qr wheel no mess no fuss.

SS frames have come a long way since the classic horizontal drop outs...

If you run shimano and other ball and race/bullet bearing hubs you can also just swap out the hollow axle for a solid bolt through.

Soma, Momsen str, Kona Unit and Honza and various other frames use sliding vertical dropouts to take up chain tension. Also look at bikes with an EBB, Niner or some 'Dales and a few others.... This way you can run a regular qr wheel no mess no fuss.

SS frames have come a long way since the classic horizontal drop outs...

fixed it :)

To the OP...

Here is some free advice, as Guy has said above...

Go with something with an EBB or Sliders... no horizontal dropouts or tensioner.

Its a mess, i know a lot of guys swear by their horizontal dropouts, don't, just get the right thing first time.

Ive had two EBB frames and one slider frame, they are the best, no mess no fuss.

also with sliding drop outs or a EBB there's no fiddling with your disc brake caliper each time you re adjust the chain tension......

What size frame are you after?

Rock has some beautiful Soma frames looking for homes and there are a couple of nice frames i know of around...

It's a bottle opener too...

Indeed, and for some reason everytime I use it to open a beer it feels like I deserve it, worked for it... Even if the bike is on the stand :whistling:

Archived