Shredding weight on a Aluminuim hardtail

Ryno.

Hi to all.

Yesterday I bought a Cannondale F29 alloy 2. I was super excited to go home and weigh the bike but was quite disappointed when the scale tipped over at 11 ish KG. So now I come to you  weight weenies to help me shred a few grams.

The bike is currently  has :

Front wheel: Stan's ZTR Crest on a lefty hub with Rubena tires.

Suspension: Cannondale lefty

Handlebar : Cannondale  handle bar

Stem: Cannondale stem

Frame: F29 alloy 2 (2013)

Pedals : Shimano XT

Seat post : Cannondale stock post

Seat : Cannondale seat

Crankset :Shimano XT

Brakes: Shimano XT

Shifters :Shimano XT

Chain: Shimano XT

Cassette: Shimano XT

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT

Rear Hub :Shimano Deore

Rear Rim :WTB frequency race i19 with a Rubena tyre.

I think that is about all the stuff that make the numbers on the scale rise.

I am going to convert the bike to a 1x10 setup and plan to change the rear wheel to a ZTR Crest.

is the rim change worth it, and where else can I save a few grams without having to rob a bank. I would like to keep every thing on the bike aluminium so carbon seatpost and stem is out. Any suggestions welcome.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi to all.

Yesterday I bought a Cannondale F29 alloy 2. I was super excited to go home and weigh the bike but was quite disappointed when the scale tipped over at 11 ish KG. So now I come to you  weight weenies to help me shred a few grams.

The bike is currently  has :

Front wheel: Stan's ZTR Crest on a lefty hub with Rubena tires.

Suspension: Cannondale lefty

Handlebar : Cannondale  handle bar

Stem: Cannondale stem

Frame: F29 alloy 2 (2013)

Pedals : Shimano XT

Seat post : Cannondale stock post

Seat : Cannondale seat

Crankset :Shimano XT

Brakes: Shimano XT

Shifters :Shimano XT

Chain: Shimano XT

Cassette: Shimano XT

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT

Rear Hub :Shimano Deore

Rear Rim :WTB frequency race i19 with a Rubena tyre.

I think that is about all the stuff that make the numbers on the scale rise.

I am going to convert the bike to a 1x10 setup and plan to change the rear wheel to a ZTR Crest.

is the rim change worth it, and where else can I save a few grams without having to rob a bank. I would like to keep every thing on the bike aluminium so carbon seatpost and stem is out. Any suggestions welcome.

Lose some weight on yourself very cheap,gonna cost you to lose it on the bike

Don't think that bike was made to be a shredder..unless you're Peter Sagan :P

EDIT: Hope you're gonna ride it like this: 

I agree with Marius, loose some weight on yourself (benefit will be bigger in the long run).

I built up a steel 29er as my main bike and was not interested in making it light (but rather reliable and hardy). I have noticed that some of the "cheap" finishing kit is quite heavy and that "fairly light and not too expensive" finishing kit is a lot cheaper than carbon (which does not really save that much weight).

Lose some weight on yourself very cheap,gonna cost you to lose it on the bike

I weigh 70 kg and are 182cm. BMI 21.13 . If you can help me lose more I will be more than willing to.

What do the tyres weigh? I have a Flash which comes in at exactly 10kg but it is the Carbon frame with a Carbon Lefty - I am running Racing Ralphs Snakeskins, they are quite light.

What do the tyres weigh? I have a Flash which comes in at exactly 10kg but it is the Carbon frame with a Carbon Lefty - I am running Racing Ralphs Snakeskins, they are quite light.

840gr

First of all how much do you want it to weigh?

Second go and see how much lighter parts are gonna cost for you to get to your goal weight. Your only way is to put carbon parts on but that's costly,to me you have some bombproof parts on there and be careful going to light. Light is not always best in my eyes.

Get a carbon bar, carbon seatpost, carbon wheels and a XO groupset. Should shed around 2 kg's and set you back about R20k. Or just sell the bike, and use the proceeds together with the R20k and buy a carbon bike?

Just a quick look... wheels.. look for Mavic SLR's or American Classic race, XTR crank and any more XTR components you can afford, handlebars and seatpost have to be carbon, saddle.. there's loads of cheapish lighter options in the classifieds, tyres also check out a weight weenies web site, I can't remember the name, they have all tyre weights listed.

It's a question of chipping away... bit by bit... and it all costs!!

First of all how much do you want it to weigh?

Second go and see how much lighter parts are gonna cost for you to get to your goal weight. Your only way is to put carbon parts on but that's costly,to me you have some bombproof parts on there and be careful going to light. Light is not always best in my eyes.

Around 10.2

I weigh 70 kg and are 182cm. BMI 21.13 . If you can help me lose more I will be more than willing to.

Wish I can weigh 70kg...

Cheapest might be to get good/light alloy finishing kit (Bar/stem/seatpost ~R2k at most), I quite like Pro Components (got a Koryak seatpost and Tharsis bar on my steel 29er). Then if you are not too impressed with the saving in weight get a nice wheelset (Like American Classic Race), this is where things get expensive (R7-8k)... Personally I don't think the price and weight saving of Carbon finishing kit is worth it, that money will be much better spent on lighter wheels.

Black Edition Flash. XL frame.

Carbon Lefty

Easton EA90 XC rims, Alu

Kenda Small Block Eight on the back, Kenda Karma Pro in the front

Carbon "Save" seat post

FSA X Force Carbon bar

OPI stem,Alu

XX1 drive train

Eggbeater pedals

Specialized "Phenom" carbon rail saddle

Blackburn carbon bottlecage

9kg

Black Edition Flash. XL frame.

Carbon Lefty

Easton EA90 XC rims, Alu

Kenda Small Block Eight on the back, Kenda Karma Pro in the front

Carbon "Save" seat post

FSA X Force Carbon bar

OPI stem,Alu

XX1 drive train

Eggbeater pedals

Specialized "Phenom" carbon rail saddle

Blackburn carbon bottlecage

9kg

Now that is light, you beat my XL Flash by a kilo :)

Archived