27,5" all mountain/ #enduro rims. what would you get?

Nofearnofun

go 31.6. go 31.6. go 31.6.

Seriously. Riding Iwan's Derby rims (34mm internal) has opened up a whole new world ito grip... 

Just had a look at those Derby's, wow that's super wide! And here I thought the LB rims would be too wide :mellow:

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been looking to build a new wheel set and seriously considering these, the price however is just exceedingly high with the crappy rand/dollar!

Looking at the 26" DH spec 31.6 internal, but not sure if it'll be too wide (if that's possible :ph34r:).

So i had a look at the 27mm internal and found them on Alibaba (Neway Carbon) with free shipping (EMS).

It looks like the seller uses the same factory as LB, claiming to use the exact some process as LB, same wording (incl grammatical errors) and photos.

Hey Dude - Are you still looking into building up a new wheelset? I'm keen on giving the Light bicycle rims a go.

Going with the below options.

enduro downhill mtb 26er carbon rims 38mm wide hookless tubeless compatible strongest

Decal:No Decal

Finish:matte

Hole:32H

Version:Downhill

Weave:UD

Decided to go with the slightly heavier DH version just because I'm a porker so want them as strong as possible and the little extra weight is neglegeble. Will just have a good dump in the morning before rides to balance it all out. Lol.

I was sliiiiiightly (ok a lot) tempted by the Derby rims, and they have a 2014 sale on 26" 40mm wide which look dope but don't think the extra €100 more that LB is worth it. Apparently tyre choice becomes a lot more of a mission with rims that wide (internal and external) and let's be honest - We don't have the best 26" tyre options here in SA.

So anyway, if you're keen, maybe we could split the courier cost to save ourselves some dough? Let me know...

And if anyone else is interested, get involved. :)

I have been running a set of Corse Carbon 650 Enduro rims for 2015.

No issues & an awesome ride, been through Stans & Mavic.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, this is off the cards for a bit, decided to buy a new car :oops:

Will probably only look at rims again in Feb or so :thumbdown:

Hey Dude - Are you still looking into building up a new wheelset? I'm keen on giving the Light bicycle rims a go.
<../>

Sadly, this is off the cards for a bit, decided to buy a new car :oops:

Will probably only look at rims again in Feb or so :thumbdown:

No worries Bud. Decided against them actually as don't want to spend that kind of money on 26" wheels when next bike will be 27.5.

• 1 month later...

I would like to revive this thread.

I am looking to get 650B rims for my newly acquired Spitfire, I had a couple of options in mind.

1. Flow EX's
  2. WTB Frequency i25's
  3. Spank Spike Race 28's
  4. Spank Oozy Trail 295's
  5. Rapide R25's

The Rapides look great, have anyone tried them yet? How will they fare with AM riding? Anything else you would recommend under R1000/rim and under 500grams/rim?

Thanks

I would like to revive this thread.

I am looking to get 650B rims for my newly acquired Spitfire, I had a couple of options in mind.

• Flow EX's
  • WTB Frequency i25's
  • Spank Spike Race 28's
  • Spank Oozy Trail 295's
  • Rapide R25's
The Rapides look great, have anyone tried them yet? How will they fare with AM riding? Anything else you would recommend under R1000/rim and under 500grams/rim?

Thanks

All the ones you e listed should serve you well. I'd also say look at the Sun Ringle Inferno's. Specifically the 25's, 29's and 31,s. Great price and great quality. Speak to Bibi on here, he'll hook you up.

I run the Inferno 29's and been strong and true since day one. I dented one beyond repair due to running too low pressure and would have destroyed just about any rim, other than that, solid.

Edit: with regards to weight, they'll be a little over 500g I think as you go up in width.

Thanks Baltazar

I will consider the Infernos 29/31, although they are closer to the 600 gram mark. Not that I am too worried about weight. I just want to build the best strength-weight ratio wheelset while I am at it.

I suck at climbs so I do not need an additional handicap :lol:  

I've got WTB KOM's laced to Hope hubs on my Spitty.

At first I was a bit skeptical because they are light but it made sense from a strength to weight ratio perspective.

So far the wheels have held up really well. No dings, wobbles or dents.

But they were built by someone who knows how to build a wheel properly (so i've been told) which is very important. 

Thanks Baltazar

I will consider the Infernos 29/31, although they are closer to the 600 gram mark. Not that I am too worried about weight. I just want to build the best strength-weight ratio wheelset while I am at it.

I suck at climbs so I do not need an additional handicap :lol:  

Those Rapide rims are SERIOUSLY good value, and going by the rest of their stuff, are good quality as well. Their bars, stem, chainrings and so on are top notch. 

Archived