How powerful are the pro's

BikeMax

Johan Reyneke (world deaf champion MTB)  

His secret is out! I had wondered how he had raised his cycling - I thought he got strong from riding in the wind of Worcester.

It definitely works...

He worked very hard..

It was actually one of our coaches called Karen Van Tubbergh who coached him (mostly in her own time) and did a great job but she said he was great to work with as he was so focused and never missed a session Smile

• 2 months later...

Jamie Pringle's article can't be faulted mostly, but I've been lucky enough to talk to some team physiologists and visit a few olympic training centres, following which lets just say I have it on good authority that 495 watts is the figure. Bigger riders like Indurain and Backstedt might do more, in fact another physiologist in a certain lab whispered 503.

If i remember right michel rogers has done 480.

Also recently on cycling news a football player turned cyclist did indeed clock a vo2max in the 90's (in an exercise lab, not as reported in huisgenoot), as do X-C skiers.

Lem is absolutely right; some riders test so-so (in elite terms) yet race well, and not just because they race smart, and others test really well and race poorly.

Bottom line is, lab testing has a limited role, but it it still avery important one.

Johan Reyneke (world deaf champion MTB)  

His secret is out! I had wondered how he had raised his cycling - I thought he got strong from riding in the wind of Worcester.

It definitely works...

He worked very hard..

It was actually one of our coaches called Karen Van Tubbergh who coached him (mostly in her own time) and did a great job but she said he was great to work with as he was so focused and never missed a session Smile

I can really agree here...he's one of the people i've seen who follows his program to the last letter/number!

He's always loved all the hot-spots on our training routes and let's be honest...all of us like a challenge. But this afternoon again, he was just following his training program and left the rest of us to battle it out on the hills and in the sprints. If we were pushing the pace a bit he'd just let us all pass him, smile and tap his HRM. And his results...well need i say more?Clap

He's still going to go very far in the sport!!!Star Watch this guy in the future!Thumbs%20Up

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with you. I have seen this kind of thing in the races. One would expect the guys that are/have done the power training to hammer the rest of us in the group. But in fact, I managed always to either finish with or before them. And I know know that they are fitter and stronger than me because we train together.

Its not all about the amount of power one has. Its a matter of maintain that power over a long distance and using it where it matter. These guys need to learn racing skills as well and how to conserve  that power and use it when it is needed.

How Powerful Are The Pros?

FASTER AND HARDER

For a typical male tester to break the hour for 25 miles would require him to sustain about 250W of power (around 230 to 280W depending on body size' date=' position on the bike and equipment, although I've seen as little as 200W in a pocket-rocket female national champ and well over 320W in a six-foot male). For our rider to shave 5 minutes off this time (ie 55 minutes and riding at 27.3mph) raises the required power by 70W and up to a 320W average. At a body weight of 75kg, that's 4.3W/kg ? about the standard of a first or second-category male rider.

To take a further five minutes off the time and break the impressive 50-minute mark (ie to travel at 30mph) the required power rises a further 100W and goes up to 420W. This would mean being able to be in the mix at the National Championships and at 5.6W/kg is approaching the standard of the top-level professional riders.

[/quote']

Hi Bikemax, i could be wrong but i think i was putting out (in power) something similar to the first paragraph about 2 years ago.

I was weighing around 75kg and was doing a time trail at 290 - 300 watts

(20 min time trial) at bikemax

Is this a good benchmark to aim for?

I think i am reasonably close to it

Just need to shave off 4kg's... The power is still there Smile

So at 96kg's, I'm going to have to put some enormous power down just to be competitive...Confused

Btw Bikemax, when I shout at you, stop talking to Shane and greet me! LOL

So at 96kg's' date=' I'm going to have to put some enormous power down just to be competitive...Confused

Btw Bikemax, when I shout at you, stop talking to Shane and greet me! LOL
[/quote']

Dude, you are strong enough... you dont need any more power.. dammit dont be greedy - give me some of that power LOL