Attempted bike Jacking The Strand

WayneO

So this Vaalie is in Cape Town for the festive season, and six guys on the R44 between Strand and Gordon's Bay (across from the Caltex) threw a bmx in the road in front of my bike and then chased me throwing knives.

Please help this Vaalie with a safe route in the area, I assumed all the walkers and runners on the beach front it would be a safe area.

Thanks

Hope you're okay WayneO. presume you managed to get away from them. "Throwing knives" wow man what next, IED's to blow us up. All the more reason I stick to the trails. 

That's not the best piece of road.

When I go down, I tend to stick to the R44 between the Mall and Stellenbosch.

Also, go check for a group called the Wannabees.

Friendly bunch and always welcome a tag "alonger". Safety in numbers :)

Hope you're okay WayneO. presume you managed to get away from them. "Throwing knives" wow man what next, IED's to blow us up. All the more reason I stick to the trails.

The trails in that area are a problem, remember that famous bike jacking GoPro video......

Agree, check on wannabees site. They have rides all the time; pretty friendly bunch to boot. Alternatively start your cycling from r44/ somerset west main rd intersection towards stellenbosch.

The trails in that area are a problem, remember that famous bike jacking GoPro video......

I'm not in WCape but did see that vid, frightening, "staying on the trails" was just a general comment.

If you are on a MTB you can also try Jonkershoek and the Botlery Hills trails. Awesome rides. On road bike the R44 to Stellenbosch and over Hellshoogte is a lekker trip. Safe cycling.

I'm riding that road a lot. At least twice a week. Going there tomorrow as well. I will be vigilant on my way there. Hectic, I never had any problems on that road. What time of the day was it?

So this Vaalie is in Cape Town for the festive season, and six guys on the R44 between Strand and Gordon's Bay (across from the Caltex) threw a bmx in the road in front of my bike and then chased me throwing knives.

Please help this Vaalie with a safe route in the area, I assumed all the walkers and runners on the beach front it would be a safe area.

Thanks

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear about the incident, glad you're ok...

I am cycling from Klapmuts to Hermanus on Monday and as I'm not familiar with the area I'll be going to go down the R44 as the most obvious way. I have also had a trying week and am in no mood for this ****: I'll probably try to kill a wannebe jacker which would have bad consequences either way.

In which part did this happen? Here is a pic: 1,2 or 3? Do you know close to which intersection with the R44 it might be?

post-34430-0-74232000-1418409456_thumb.jpg

http://wannabteam.com/

Unfortunately the 2nd one this week. Although I wouldn't easily cycle on the Macassar side of Somerset-West. Tried to start a angling club once on a nearby farm where they had problems with rogue anglers. We offered to jack up security with electric fences etc. The owner laughed and told me a few stories which made me thank him for the coffee and leave rather hastily...

The road from Strand to Gordons Bay has Greenways Estate on the right as one rides out of Strand to Gordons Bay. One of two entrances to Greenways Estate is on this road with a busy traffic light intersection in front of the entrance.

This is a potentially very dangerous area as especially in the mornings there are anything up to 20 + unemployed guys lounging on the side of the road apparently hoping to be picked up for casual work.

Be wide awake here! I have often overheard figures of R300 , R400 , R500 bandied about as I've ridden past them in obvious reference to black market value.

There is a very quick getaway road leading from there to where most of these individuals would reside.

There is also an abnormal amount of glass in the road at this spot which is quite thought provoking.....

Archived