Lateral knee pain...any suggestions?

Hi Hubbers

I am wondering if anybody else has had this problem, and whether you have any suggestions on how to remedy it.

Lately my knees have been bothering me on rides, particularly on the lateral sides where the hamstring attaches to the lower leg, on both sides but worse on the left. Have always had a niggley knee while running but never on the bike before. And never this bad. It started about three weeks ago and I didnt change anything on the bike, seat height and fore/aft adjustment is unchanged. So I really dont know how to approach it...

Getting to the point now where it starts about 5k into a ride and persists, making riding quite unpleasant. Had to finish the last 30-odd k's of sabie day 2 with it which was tough.

Now, do i give my knees some time off for a few weeks and stay off the bike? Or do i start fiddling with the bike setup? (Cant see that to be the problem as nothing has changed in that regard when the pain started)

Any advice would help at this point...I dont really want to stay off the bike though ;)

A bike fit and egg beaters pedals helped for me

True, a bike fit and some rest helped me as well.

Ilio tibial band friction syndrome.

The cure is generally a stretching exercise or surgery.

If it is ITB a physio friend of mine knows a magic bullet strapping technique for that.

However, I would first look at bike fit issues, specifically:

1) saddle height and fore/ aft position

2) shoes and alignment of cleats on the shoes, especially toe in/out.

You said you have not changed amything on the bike, OK but have you changed anything else, especially actions that load your knees differently such as new cycling or running shoes, hiking with heavy backpack, new excercises in the gym, carrying heavy stuff (i.e. moving house).

Regarding cycling shoes I have tried many. Favourites are the Spez bg range and Shimano. Shimano the best for me so far. The Spez shoes tend to tilt your foot slightly down on the outside (laterally wedged sole). Dunno what shoes you use but consider these possibilities.

Good luck in finding the cause...and a cure.

Ditto here about a year ago, had to finish one or two rides pedalling with one leg basically. Got a professional opinion (sports physio). Stretching and mild knee strengthening/recovery exercises and rest the knee. Took about 6 weeks off the bike.

Sucked big time but you cant force an injury/problem. Can only get worse if you do!

Good luck.....

Overuse ? You did compete in the Berg and Bush. If this is something new for you that you trained hard for it might be that. 

If it is ITB a physio friend of mine knows a magic bullet strapping technique for that.

Please do share?

Thanx for all the feedback. Ja, gonna try conservative measures for a start. Bummed to have to stay off the trails but oh well.

Any recommendations for a bike fit and good physio/biokinetisist in the Boland/Somerset west area in the Western Cape?

Thanx for all the feedback. Ja, gonna try conservative measures for a start. Bummed to have to stay off the trails but oh well.

Any recommendations for a bike fit and good physio/biokinetisist in the Boland/Somerset west area in the Western Cape?

Please do share?

Will ask next time I see her...regular cycling buddy. I luckily dont suffer from ITB but know some who do.

Any good physio should be able to show you how. Ask around locally.

Pain on both knee's.... Try lower your saddle 2mm, if that makes it worse then raise it 2 mm (from your original position before adjustment)

Unlikely that you will get ITB pain in both knee's at the same time, IF its ITB pain then it is probably due to over use, i.e. did u increase your training in the last few months...more hills or more time in the saddle / running resulting in tighter and or muscle imbalances.

Try riding flat pedals for a bit. Let your feet position themselves how they feel comfortable. I have a friend who gets ITB whenever he rides cleated even though they are perfectly set up.

No major increase in intensity of my riding lately. Have been wondering if I should swop over to flat pedals as the twisting of the leg to uncleat really doesnt strike me as a natural motion and in all likelihood it can only do my riding some good.

I have to admit that the left knee if far far worse than the right...possibly compensating with the opposite leg for the last few weeks and now the right is also bothering me. Have resigned myself to putting the bike in the shed for a few weeks though to heal up and sort everything out before making the problem worse. Have also instructed the lady in my life that according to expert advice I may not move around too much and as such beer will have to be brought to me in future ???? but that will never work

How are the crankbrother cleats different to the SPDs? Have never used them before

Been struggling with the same problem. Went to physio and then to spez store in Somerset to do a refit.uat say it's a lot better than before. Now to regain fitness after a month off the bike!!

Archived