Dropper Post - Advice Needed

RobGD

Guys please help me out with some advice.

I am planning on getting myself a dropper post and the uncertainty I have is around the length. I've narrowed my selection down to 2 options as long as they work for me:

1) Travel 100mm / length 365mm (remote)

2) Travel 125mm / length 385mm or 420mm (lever)

The length of my current post is 400mm and I ride with it at max height. So ideally I do not want to lose any of that height (for climbing, XC etc.) but I want the new dropper to drop low enough to be out of the way on the more DH type stuff.

Anyone want to jump in and offer some advice? I really need it.

Thanks guys..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so if you're running a 400mm post at max height, there's going to be enough headroom for the 420mm post to sit in there. Main difference between the 3 is the length, but the shortest one has a drop of 100mm as opposed to the others having 125mm. 385mm long one is for people who need to have the 125mm drop, but have their posts further into the frame. You need the max length you can get, so that you can run it as far out of the frame as you need.

don't worry about the drop. 125mm is 125mm. If you can get the 150mm dropper, then get that...

I commented on a topic similar to this some time ago....

Measure the distance from the top of your seat clamp/seat tube to the rails of your saddle/saddle clamp.  You would then need to get the measurement of the droppers you are considering from deepest insertion point to the saddle clamp, then choose the one which is closest BUT NOT MORE than your current measurement.

Hope that makes sense and helps..

I commented on a topic similar to this some time ago....

Measure the distance from the top of your seat clamp/seat tube to the rails of your saddle/saddle clamp.  You would then need to get the measurement of the droppers you are considering from deepest insertion point to the saddle clamp, then choose the one which is closest BUT NOT MORE than your current measurement.

Hope that makes sense and helps..

hint - he's running a 400mm post at max height - minimum insertion... there's more than enough headroom for any dropper :)

hint - he's running a 400mm post at max height - minimum insertion... there's more than enough headroom for any dropper :)

True  :blush:

I purchased a reverb post last year. My previous seatpost was similar specs to your current one. The 420mm, with 125mm drop, reverb seatpost is perfect for me.

It inserts into the frame perfectly, so as not to be at the minimum insertion mark and the 125mm drop is more than enough to get the saddle out of the way, when required.

One of the best purchases I made all year.

Get one with a bar remote, is the lever version a lever on the post itself?

Ja, +1 for bar remote...

Can definitely come short reaching for the seat lever in a tight situation.. 

Get one with a bar remote, is the lever version a lever on the post itself?

YOu raise a VERY valid point, Lark... stay well away from any dropper that requires you to fiddle int he region of your manbits in order to actuate it.

IOW - REMOTE!!! NOT LEVER!!!

Thanks for the help guys, that was quick.

Without having the droppers to measure, is it safe to assume that, assuming a minimum insertion of 90mm (that's pretty common isn't it?), then I would take the full length, minus 90mm + max travel, should equal maximum height from clamp to rails?

In other words (and working on option 1 because I'd prefer the remote to the lever):

Full length: 365mm

minus minimum insertion 90mm

equals 275mm.

add max travel 100mm

equals 375mm

So if my current rail height is lower than 375mm above clamp, then this option would work for me?

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks for the help guys, that was quick.

Without having the droppers to measure, is it safe to assume that, assuming a minimum insertion of 90mm (that's pretty common isn't it?), then I would take the full length, minus 90mm + max travel, should equal maximum height from clamp to rails?

In other words (and working on option 1 because I'd prefer the remote to the lever):

Full length: 365mm

minus minimum insertion 90mm

equals 275mm.

add max travel 100mm

equals 375mm

So if my current rail height is lower than 375mm above clamp, then this option would work for me?

Am I on the right track here?

no - the length of the post in mm (365 in this case) is measured at full extension of the post - when it's fully out, in other words.

So - if minimum insertion is 90mm, you need to have less than 275mm exposed above the clamp in order for it to be okay at min insertion.

In short - if you have more than 275mm exposed (which I'm sure you do) then you NEED the longer post.

So we're all in agreement on the remote opposed to the lever.

Remote upside: Its a remote

Remote downside: 100mm instead of 125mm & its 27.2mm diameter when I need 31.6mm but I can use a shim.

Lever upside: 125mm travel and its 31.6mm diameter so no shim required.

Lever downside: Lever

Any opinions on shims?

By the way, you're probably asking why these particular options with the hassle of levers, shims etc. - The answer, unfortunately price is dictating at the moment!

So we're all in agreement on the remote opposed to the lever.

Remote upside: Its a remote

Remote downside: 100mm instead of 125mm & its 27.2mm diameter when I need 31.6mm but I can use a shim.

Lever upside: 125mm travel and its 31.6mm diameter so no shim required.

Lever downside: Lever

Any opinions on shims?

By the way, you're probably asking why these particular options with the hassle of levers, shims etc. - The answer, unfortunately price is dictating at the moment!

measure your existing post first. If less than 275mm exposed, then okay - you can go for the 100mm (but I wouldn't do that - rather save for another one that fits properly and has the longer drop)

I'd personally try and stay away from shims. Also sounds like you're a biggish oke, so the 27,2 won't be as strong as the 31.6 from a structural point of view. Simple mechanics.

Don't get a lever version.

In short - wait. Save more, buy the proper size for you.

What you're saying probably makes sense in terms of waiting and getting the correct one. How far away is fathers day??!!

Guys, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Let you know what I eventually get...

Cheers...

What you're saying probably makes sense in terms of waiting and getting the correct one. How far away is fathers day??!!

Guys, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Let you know what I eventually get...

Cheers...

yeha, I know it's like telling a 3 year old NOT to touch the marshmallow right in front of him, but you'll regret every second of it if you buy it, get home and on min insertion and max extension it's 50mm too short for you (diff between 2 posts)

That. Would. Suuuuuck!

Please don't compromise and use a shim...you will regret. BTDT....endless creaking. Rather wait to get something that fits properly with longest possible frame insertion for strength. Also if your frame does not have internal dropper routing you will need to get a post with external cable and be certain how you are going to route the cable to the remote. Check all this before buying.