GF'S first bike: Cheap FS or decent Hardtail?

DanielJhb

Deciding between a giant tempt x2 (about 7k) or a small Axis A40 full sus (rockshox coil front, X fusion back) (same price from solomons on special) for my Girlfriend's first bike, what would you guys go for?

Hard tail.  Also try for sealed bearing hubs 'cos the girls don't feel when the cup and cone bearings need attention (just like the guys!)

Try second hand, the HT wil be a better bike, but in my experience, girls tend no stop cycling if they have to do it on a HT. It is her first bike, so she will be in a lot of pain for the majority of the rides, also not as easy to control if the terrain has a lot of "sinkplate"

My personal experience was to buy a 2nd hand hardtail with fairly low level components.

Shifting etc is perfect but I didnt want to go splash out when I wasnt sure how it would turn out.

So she has ridden it 3 times and is only really interested in mild hills and flatter trails, anything that points slightly downhill is not her thing.

Im glad I didnt go more expensive because it would have largely been a waste to be honest.

Get the hardtail but invest in a decent woman-specific saddle like the Selle Italia Diva or Lady.

The Giant will be a much better bike and will be cheaper to maintain than the FS. Also look at the Silverback Sola range as they offer good bang for buck.

Before worrying about which bike to buy....

Are you buying it for her or is she buying it for herself?

Best she buys it for herself, because then you know for sure she wants to ride.... Otherwise you MIGHT just end up as another statistic... Just my 2c.

In any case, decent second hand hardtail should do the trick. I like Cyclon's suggestion for a lady specific saddle as that will help plenty!

To add: She's currently riding my old axis medium frame and she joins me on trails at least twice a week. She enjoys the downhill sections and has great balance and bike control.

To add: She's currently riding my old axis medium frame and she joins me on trails at least twice a week. She enjoys the downhill sections and has great balance and bike control.

She's a keeper!!

I am actually in the exact same scenario (not my wife's first bike in this case).

I sold her 26" FS bike and planning on getting her a somewhat decent 27.5" HT.

This move simply due to the old'ish parts (read wheel size) and the weight of the bike.

She doesn't spend to much time in the saddle, so I/we decided to rather procure a 27.5" HT that is at least lighter than the 26" FS. I am also pedantic on what I get for the money willing to spend (R10k - R12k) - found the Momsen 655AL to be very decent and suitable for her (ignore the standard blue/black paint job for now).

I do have to agree with Cylon, a lady's specific saddle would be an added bonus to the setup - I have heard good stories of the Specialized Myth.

The decision you would have to make would be based on whether the return generated from the investment is sufficient, i.e. would she cycle more often, does she enjoy the FS more in the technical sections?

Either way, it's great having your significant other joining you on the trials - good luck with this one!

She sounds like she enjoys a bit of trail rather than marathon so go for a pre loved dualie.

Just makes sense!

I almost proposed the first time I saw her try some technical sections!

Umm dually... a good used one with ok spec... slx typically or older deore LX stuff.

Remember if you have a dually and she has a HT you get the:

"but you have a dual suspension so for you it is easy" and "I don't want to go because the bike hurts my bum and you don't know cause you have a dual suspension"

Excuses. And if she kicks ass now and doesn't complain get her a better bike she wont complain about. My wife complained until I got her a Giant Anthem X1...

Archived