Roval Carbon Wheels - Tough enough?

deonkretch

Hi, 

Looking for some info, real life experience on the Specialized Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels. (Not the SL's)

http://www.specialized.com/za/en/ftb/wheels/roval-mtb-xc-race/roval-control-29-carbon

These are pretty much standard on the Marathon and similar specced Epic's it seems.

• Are these tough enough for like Epic?
  • Anyone had one of these wheels fail?
  • Easy to get a tyre seated (Racing Ralph?)
  • I weigh about 80kgs - would I be better off with a set of ZTR Crests or are these a worthwhile upgrade?

Any info appreciated.

Problem with carbon frames and components in general is that they fail without warning. I saw a guy on the Cape Pioneer who had a Roval Carbon rim failure on the last stage on the flat stretch just after the start of the last stage. My partner used them too and hasn't had any trouble for two years. You have to inspect them regularly for cracks.

I prefer alu rims, mine has a few dents which could probably have caused a carbon rim to break.

Consider the cost of rim replacement as well.

Problem with carbon frames and components in general is that they fail without warning. I saw a guy on the Cape Pioneer who had a Roval Carbon rim failure on the last stage on the flat stretch just after the start of the last stage. My partner used them too and hasn't had any trouble for two years. You have to inspect them regularly for cracks.

I prefer alu rims, mine has a few dents which could probably have caused a carbon rim to break.

Consider the cost of rim replacement as well.

Bit off topic, but one thing to consider when you have a bike with carbon rims is how the bike is transported on your car. 

Know of a guy who transports his Spez on a Thule towbar rack on his 5 series. He was driving along and heard a moerse bang. Turns out the heat from his car's exhaust started to melt the rim and caused the tyre to pop. Had to replace the entire wheel.

I ride on the Roval Control Carbons and I quite simply love them! I have had a few big hits with them and they are still in good nick. I do weigh 65kg's though :blush:

Bit off topic, but one thing to consider when you have a bike with carbon rims is how the bike is transported on your car. 

Know of a guy who transports his Spez on a Thule towbar rack on his 5 series. He was driving along and heard a moerse bang. Turns out the heat from his car's exhaust started to melt the rim and caused the tyre to pop. Had to replace the entire wheel.

this has nothing to do with carbon rims. I had the same thing happen to me in 2007 with an XT wheelset that was too close to my Honda Civic's pipes. Heard a bang just outside Knysna and realised that the wheel popped (and melted) due to the heat of the exhaust. Leon Evans sorted it out for me in Plett the next day, and I bought a proper platform rack when I got back home. 

I saw quite a few larger guys (85 to 95kg) riding roval controls at BC Bike Race in 2013 and it seems like they all came through the event with no hassles. Remember that XC in BC is like DH in SA. 

Archived