Proposed cyclist memorial / awareness campaign for those killed for the love of their sport

Brent

I would like to propose that concerned citizens, cycling enthusiasts, city of Cape Town, PPA, e.t.c. come together and put up a memorial for cyclists lost to accidents and incidents on the roads.

This memorial can be in a prominant place and show the number of cyclists in the Western Cape that have given up their lives for the love of their sport....similar to the rhino awareness campaign that has been set up at the Plattekloof Pick n Pay centre.

It will hopefully bring awareness to motorists and others about the fragility of a persons life when confronted by cars/trucks/buses and perhaps in some small way teach people to be a little more tolerant of cyclists.

I am sure that many would be happy to contribute to this type of campaign

great idea. It should be erected somewhere along the Cape Town Cycle Tour Route formally known as the August.

The ghost bike campaign seems to gone the way of the people it was meant to help us remember

The trend in Europe was to chain a bike that had been completely painted white  near the site of the accident. It was often decorated with flowers.

SA has hundreds of crosses next to various roads with RIP messaging.

A specific memorial as suggested is a good idea. 

The trend in Europe was to chain a bike that had been completely painted white  near the site of the accident. It was often decorated with flowers.

SA has hundreds of crosses next to various roads with RIP messaging.

A specific memorial as suggested is a good idea. 

Burry's ghost bike was "removed" twice off the Mandela Bridge. Damn pity...

Archived