A Yank in South Africa

Tycho

I've been using Uber to get home at night. In fact, I was going to use it for the bike in Table View. Was willing to take a chance for a bike from a dealer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have a road bike in South Africa standing at a Friend in Durbanville that I wouldn't mind selling.

58 or 60cm frame size. Silver alu frame(Kinesis made unbranded)

Equipped with campagnolo 10 speed mix of centaur(shifters) chorus(cranks deraillers)(not the newest but good state)

Campagnolo Vento wheels its in running state without pedals as I last road it in November last year.

R 4.000

You must be willing to get there though. Why not just rent a car for a day? Should not be expensive.

I've been using Uber to get home at night. In fact, I was going to use it for the bike in Table View. Was willing to take a chance for a bike from a dealer.

I still have a road bike in South Africa standing at a Friend in Durbanville that I wouldn't mind selling.

58 or 60cm frame size. Silver alu frame(Kinesis made unbranded)

Equipped with campagnolo 10 speed mix of centaur(shifters) chorus(cranks deraillers)(not the newest but good state)

Campagnolo Vento wheels its in running state without pedals as I last road it in November last year.

R 4.000

You must be willing to get there though. Why not just rent a car for a day? Should not be expensive.

Tycho, where are you based? Don't mind helping you out a bit to get around and have a bike rack permanently attached to my car to transport a bike...

If you want to check out the above offer let me know..

Cool, really nice to see so many hubbers trying to help out a fellow hubber.  Now to just take one of them up on their offer.

Cool, really nice to see so many hubbers trying to help out a fellow hubber. Now to just take one of them up on their offer.

I agree great community. I am contemplating moving to Cape Town, so I'm glad many are friendly.

I decided the bail because there is no way I can be ready for the tour. I haven't biked since September and haven't exercised much since I have been in Africa. However, perhaps it is better to suffer through the tour instead of simply not doing it. Out of shape and new not setup bike ... could be interesting.

At this point I don't have time to explore listings in the suburbs. Don't really want the KTM, but beggars can't be choosers. There is a train that goes down to Diep River, but might take Uber back since I can't take the bike on the train during peak hours.

I haven't rented a car because I am scared of driving on the wrong side of the road! Don't want to start driving in a city.

The good: I ended up purchasing the KTM. I have not cycled since September 10th, and rarely did any exercise while I traveled, but it felt great being back in the saddle. The bike is a good fit. Although it has a racing profile and I am more used to a relaxed geometry, the stem is angled upwards. Also met an interesting individual, which is always good.

The bad: the bike is in need of a major tune up. It is a tad beat up and I paid way too much. Sadly it was the only 58 in Cape Town, so I had no choice. There is difficulty going into the big chainring, the brakes were not aligned, back tire is shredded, and the back wheel is out of true. Fixed the brakes, will have to play around with the limits, have to change the tire, but there is nothing I can do about the wheel. I don't feel like paying for a mechanic since I already paid too much.

The ugly: biked only 22 kms and my left knee is starting to hurt. It probably has to do with a poor fitting and not about being out of shape. Also, the shortened Tour. I understand the situation, but I do not want to pay 730 Rand for a non-scenic 47km ride. I rather get my money back. I don't mind a shorter route, but I want ocean views.

Archived