Hybrids (coming to grips with cyclocross bikes) ......

Slowbee

I had bar ends on my MTB Slowbeee. It certainly does help. It still doesn't give the range of movement though. I would recommend those old fashioned type that are quite long and curved, almost like horns. Then wrap them in bar tape. I don't think TT type bars will be comfortable. That is a very extreme position.

You could try looking at dedicated touring bike. The best I ever saw, though I never rode one, is the Co-motion.

My experiences in this regard comes from a fairly long bike tour loaded with gear. If I did it again I would go for a compact road bar

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had bar ends on my MTB Slowbeee. It certainly does help. It still doesn't give the range of movement though. I would recommend those old fashioned type that are quite long and curved, almost like horns. Then wrap them in bar tape. I don't think TT type bars will be comfortable. That is a very extreme position.

You could try looking at dedicated touring bike. The best I ever saw, though I never rode one, is the Co-motion.

My experiences in this regard comes from a fairly long bike tour loaded with gear. If I did it again I would go for a compact road bar

thanks for the insights ... I dont knwo how much gear you carry on a 600km ride, let alone a pbp

I carried about 20kg crossing deserts. Water is heavy of course. About 14kg traveling light. 8 to 12 hours a day. 5 months in total.

Comfort is quite important

so a little googly thingy and things get about as thick as mud and I realise this is NOT going to be easy ...

gravel grinders......

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/146536-specialized-diverge-gravel-grinders/

which leads to ...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/145453-building-a-cyclo-cross-bike/

and to .....

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/121911-giant-anyroad-mml/

and finally ...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/119727-on-one-pompino-single-speed-cyclo-cross/

and I have not even started looking at the other brands mentioned, never mind a Mr Soma Rock .....

I am also new to this long distance cycling. Have done the 300/400/200 km ride and on 21 Feb will do another BRM300.

I found out that the best way to learn is to listen to others (a little bit) and than you just do those rides on your old bike. After those rides you will know what works and what you want/need to change.

Thinks I found out/learned re Audax riding:

- Tandem racing tires (28c) work well on a solo bike. Gives better grip and much better comfort with good speed.

- Comfort is important once you go past 10 hours in the saddle. Not a sissy thing, but prevention of damage to your body, etc.

- Keep weight low as you will add plenty of other long distance stuff anyway, so start with a low weight.

- keep it simple.

- there will be pain; good news - it will not stay in one place but move around in your body.

- start slow and never race/chase

- Go out, ride your bike, enjoy and experience it!

What size frame and where are you situated? I have a Cotic X medium 10 spd 105 you are welcome to try out... 

i dont know even where to start to be honest, I dont even know what brands, nadda

I ride a Trek 7.3. Really nice hybrid bike. Used it to commute in London on a daily basis, 35km daily ride and very comfortable.

What size frame and where are you situated? I have a Cotic X medium 10 spd 105 you are welcome to try out... 

Thanks for the offer nerd !

Would love to try it out - can you post it to CT?? :blink:

I am in somerset west, so might be a bit tricky.

I have a Cotic CX with Brooks B -17 Saddle and Ragley Luxy bars.- most comfortable bike for me ever. 

Both the Roadrat and the Escapade are off road capable mile eaters.

Call Matt at Cotic SA - great guy - he will help you quickly.

Chro MO, its not really about going off road - it is more about a frame that is more relaxed in geometry to make the riding easier, I mean 600km on a road bike in one go is a big ask - but these cx frames seem to in between a road bike and mtn bike.

road tyres, triple crank and sorted (not sure about the drops, maybe a flat bar. PeterM has me thinking that drops might be better.

I have had a number pass through my workshop.  They have very low resale values but make ideal commuter bikes - if you are not a weight weenie.  If you want something more sporty you can get flat bar shifters and adapt your road bike.  If you need to lift the bar you can get a MTB raiser stem.  The advantage of this is you do not devalue the bike 'cause you can always revert to the road configuration.

I did that to a friend's road bike. (Flat bars with the appropriate shifters and brake levers). I might even be inclined to add some On One Mary bars ;)

Edit: Much better ride now.

TW you have an idea on price ?

also pbp on this thing ?

The last one I saw was a shade over R5k. Although there are no bosses for panniers, but I reckon it could get you through PBP. It has MTB gearing. 

Archived