shock and brake questions

Slowbee

Hi All

After a few months of deliberation and consultation, the Ministeress of Finance and Home Affairs has said its either a Merida 500D or a silverback Nebraska.

So for product knowledge so I dont sound like a real idiot, what is thew difference between, Shimano M485 180 Hydraulic and Avid Juicy 3 brakes ??

Also whats the difference between Rock Shock Tora with Lockout and Rock Shock Dart 2 80 with lockout?

Umm since I am new to all this can we keep the explainations simple?

Not huge difference between that Juicy and Shimano breaks, but i'd go with the Juicy....  easy maintenance.

As for the shock, the Tora is a heavier shock than the dart, so if your a bigger guy, say 90kg plus, rather go for the Tora.

I have a Nabraska and really pleased with it..Juicy 3 are great and i reckon at least on the Deore level of components. M485 is step below deore. Tora302 (100mm travel) is also coil coil sprung but way better than Dart 2 with only 80mm travel.

Between the brakes I would choose the Avids for two reasons. If you want to flip the levers left to right or whatever, you can do so without having to remove hoses. And to replace brake pads, you just use small pliers, not like Shimano where a pin is holding it in place.

On the shocks I would go for Tora as it is a grade better then Dart.

rats ok ... for looks I prefer the Merida - but you guys are saying that the better priced bike, has better components - so I just need to get over the "looks" thing.

thanks for the advice !

Looks are just as important Tongue. When you tested the bikes, what did you prefer? I am sure that the M485s would work just fine! The Tora is the better fork (see www.sram.com), but does this mean that the Dart 2 is worse?? Perhaps the Dart 2 will do for you depending on where you want to ride?? The Silverbacks generally offer about the best price for components at the moment. 

Last Thursday I decided I wanted the Giant XTC2 - but not available at the moment (apparently very little demand!)! ****, just when I thought I had my mind made up. Anyway, spent the weekend thinking, etc and had a look at GTs. Um, ah, not sure, then went this morning to look at the Silverbacks again..... and ordered a Sierra before I left the store. Really like the look of it, and the components.... yum. Can't wait!!

SRAM, Rockshox, Truvativ, etc all part of the same stable - don't know who owns who though. Price is around R8K.