Flat or clipless?

-MaximuS-

Hi

I'm a noob in the cycling (MTB) scene so I was wondering what the pros and cons are for flat pedals vs clipless?

I do mostly XC so nothing too technical.

Any help will be appreciated!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its basically do you want to fall over with your bike a few times while you start out with clipless, or do you want to have a nice collection of shin scars with flats.

Its basically do you want to fall over with your bike a few times while you start out with clipless, or do you want to have a nice collection of shin scars with flats.

LOL, already have a few shin scars!

Or do you want to learn the skills properly...

You must ask a guy called El Capitan on this forum , he's very clued up with this stuff.

Not really, I just like to read... 

I'd advocate flats for everyone to start on. Teaches you the proper technique and such, whereas if you start with cleats you could learn bad habits which are difficult to break. 

But - if you do get flats, get the proper ones with proper shoes. Those steel cage type pedals are useless. As are the plastic ones that come with the bike when you buy it. Throw them away. 

Flats are awesome for learning and getting your confidence up. Clipless does give a performance advantage especially when climbing, but this is useless if you're scared of falling.

Flats isn't cheaper, it's of extreme importance to get good pedals and shoes. This will put to back around R2.5k if you get 510's and decent pedals

Personally I run flats on my trials bike and cleats on the mtb

Hi

I'm a noob in the cycling (MTB) scene so I was wondering what the pros and cons are for flat pedals vs clipless?

I'd opt for cleats.

Firstly cleats will teach you good pedaling technique. they are also safer in that your feet won't  be slipping off when you hit bumps in the road.

Once you're more comfortable with technical riding then switching to flats could be an option but this is very much a personal preference thing. there are also pedals that offer a big platform (like flats) but have a clip in engagement.

Hi

How about both? FUNN do a flat pedal (Mamba) with either one sided or two sided clip. It allows you to ride flat when you are riding technical or caught on a quick ascent and clipped when you are banging the flats sections. I ride them they are great. They can be bought on www.performancebikes.co.za

I'd opt for cleats.

Firstly cleats flats will teach you good pedaling technique. they are also safer in that your feet won't  be slipping off when you hit bumps in the road.

Once you're more comfortable with technical riding then switching to flats could be an option but this is very much a personal preference thing. there are also pedals that offer a big platform (like flats) but have a clip in engagement.

How about both? FUNN do a flat pedal (Mamba) with either one sided or two sided clip. It allows you to ride flat when you are riding technical or caught on a quick ascent and clipped when you are banging the flats sections. I ride them they are great. They can be bought on www.performancebikes.co.za

I had a look at those FUNN pedals, they look great...just a bit pricey. Any other makes that might be cheaper?

Hi

You really don't need the expensive flats, I started riding tokai with an cheap hard tail and those cheap flats the bike came with and a pair of running shoes. Get used to riding with them, they give you more confidence initially on single track as you don't have the thought in the back of your mind that you feet are 'stuck' to the pedals so you tend to try things more.

Once you have really wrecked the cheap pedals on rocks and stuff go buy a set of clipless pedals

For XC I would say cleats. They will serve you better in this instance.

If you want to work on technical skills get a pair of flats.

Archived