kit for noobs

kt71t508

Some arm and leg warmers and a buff or two with some gloves and inners will help you through winter....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have ridden with literally dozens of levels and styles of kit over the years. I second:

- Running shirts. Adidas also has a nice range, I often ride with their Supernova stuff, even though I have a wide variety of cycling-specific items in my arsenal.

- Dakine packs. Not only are they cheaper, they're better. Camelbak is for those who don't know better, real riders use Dakine or Evoc.

Buffs. Buy the ones from the lady who advertises on this site. R30 I think. Don't pay anything more. They're great for cold weather but also for sweat management and sun protection. Buy five and rotate through them.

Buy good gloves. Start cheap but then take note of what you like and don't like. Wait for a sale.

This might be a dumb question, what are inners? And leg + arms warmers as opposed to a jersey?

You can buy a cheapish pair of normal long fingered cycling gloves and add some inners (much thinner gloves) that you can get from Sportsmans etc, nothing worse than cold hands (and toes!) and there is equally nothing worse than hot and sweaty hands. For cold feet I use a thin pair of summer socks under my thicker winter socks. You can get the arm and leg warmers at a good price from Anatomic....

- I use a 1,5l Fox hydration bag, if I need more then I use a water bottle in the cage.

- I use indola baggies to ride in, I love these, I bought 3 of these baggies

- I use a mixture of Fox shirts and sportsman ware house shirts

I ride between 25 to 45 km. Being sugarcane riding to Giba riding.

I had Mr price shirts and tights but I did not like them after buying my first Fox and indola baggies

Stay far far FAR away from the Mr. Price stuff. I bought a Maed jersey for R299, the fit was terrible and it was super uncomfortable. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse the next day and picked up a Cape Storm jersey for R350. Much better fit, lighter and very comfortable

Hi guys. Also a noob at mtb. Looking at Fox jersey and Fox Ranger baggies. Are they good quality?

Yup, the rangers shorts are cool and you can wear other inners under them. Fox jersey's are nice but I like the cape storm ones because they are a bit cheaper and just as nice.

Yup, the rangers shorts are cool and you can wear other inners under them. Fox jersey's are nice but I like the cape storm ones because they are a bit cheaper and just as nice.

Thanks Vangar. I just had a look at the Cape Storm jerseys. Good price. Will get some asap.

I recently bought a pair of Fox Evolution bib shorts from an online store and I must honestly say that they are the best shorts I have ridden with imo. Like the fit and have used them on a couple of 50km+ rides with no problems or any discomfort. R799, which may sound expensive but is very cheap compared to other big name brands.

I find Velotex Red bibs brilliant value for money and damn comfy.

Where can I get myself a pair of these? 

What about shoes? What does everyone think is good value for money without being too expensive. I'm not planning on winning any major races so a 5k pair of shoes, while looking nice, is a waste of money.

I've seen Louis Garneau Monte shoes on cyclelabs website and they seem good value for money at 1,6k.

Any opinions?

Archived