Fat bike - what's it like? Will I manage?

Runbikeswim

. Will get that off of my old bike, should fit.

Nope. Fat bike cranks are not std. Unless you going 29+ fat then maybe but 26" fat bikes use a different crank.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. Fat bike cranks are not std. Unless you going 29+ fat then maybe but 26" fat bikes use a different crank.

Just checked and it comes with wheels , and cranks so should be ok. Will be a build project so looking forward to it

Sold my bike and now doing research for a new one.

Maybe going carbon... But in the meantime I'm considering getting a fat bike to ride ( including) races for the next 3 months... Will I manage? I'm using disk to a day bike... And thinking if getting one of these cheaper Titan fat bikes for those 3 months while I save for my bike..

If you are a competitive rider you are going to be disappointed with your times on a fat bike. With the additional weight and more importantly the resistance the fat tyres produce, your speed on average will be 3 km/h slower than a standard MB.

You however don't need snow, or dessert sand to enjoy a fat bike. It is a fun factor on its own. I have a couple of bikes, and ride my fat bike more than any other. But as mentioned by some hubbers, I don't think this is a bike to have if it is your only bike. Also the cheaper fat bikes on the market will probably be even more of a frustration than a pleasure. So my advice is to think carefully before making an impulse decision, but if you do, you will really enjoy it as an alternative bike.

No worries :)

You're right, I only have money for one bike, sold my Rocky Vertex yesterday to buy an Anthem on Monday haha!

No second bike for me...(especially not a fatty ;))))

U must be the Hubber thats going through bikes like we normal Hubbers go through k@kpaper..... U should go and work for Bicycling mag and do wright ups on bikes! They dont even have to give u bikes to test coz u already rode them freaken all............

U must be the Hubber thats going through bikes like we normal Hubbers go through k@kpaper..... U should go and work for Bicycling mag and do wright ups on bikes! They dont even have to give u bikes to test coz u already rode them freaken all............

Haha! That's it! I have a default 3month "ok what's next" need I have to feed

Despite being so new to the market, there are already so many second hand ones for sale. That tells me people are buying then not enjoying them.

Haha! That's it! I have a default 3month "ok what's next" need I have to feed

I think you'll keep the Anthem for more than 3 months, but I'm an Anthem fanboy :thumbup:

I think you'll keep the Anthem for more than 3 months, but I'm an Anthem fanboy :thumbup:

Probably the best value for money deal currently on the market, can get the 2015 Anthem X1 for R25k incl an ErgoFit setup,..sounds like a good deal to me

. Will get that off of my old bike, should fit.

Unless your old bike is a fatbike they won't fit. The Momsen runs a 190mm rear so will probably require a 100mm BB shell, meaning a standard crank spindle will be too short. 

I see you said it comes with a crank though so no worries. Do a bit of research on these bikes to get the best out of them. They're unlike anything you would've ridden. For example tyre pressures are vastly different to standard MTBs...

Enjoy the build.

Despite being so new to the market, there are already so many second hand ones for sale. That tells me people are buying then not enjoying them.

Or they've bought a cheapy initially and are selling and upgrading to a proper one now...

But, yes, I think many people have bought them without doing enough homework and have just bought on the trend bandwagon.

Probably the best value for money deal currently on the market, can get the 2015 Anthem X1 for R25k incl an ErgoFit setup,..sounds like a good deal to me

Who has this deal?

Don't waste your time on those Titan bikes. They're heavy and not a fair reflection of a proper fatbike. If you want to do it properly get a fatbike made by guys that have been doing it for years.

See more on the topic here...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/134165-fat-bike/

I disagree! I have the Titan and have converted it to a 3 x 10. Yes it is a bit heavy but if you are not going for a podium finish and want something a bit different then these are great value for money and great fun. It is a bit tight on the single track but on dirt road, jeep track, sand and grass it rolls really well.

I disagree! I have the Titan and have converted it to a 3 x 10. Yes it is a bit heavy but if you are not going for a podium finish and want something a bit different then these are great value for money and great fun. It is a bit tight on the single track but on dirt road, jeep track, sand and grass it rolls really well.

You'll really enjoy a Surly, OnOne, 9ZERO7, Salsa then...  :thumbup: .

As mentioned above the Specialized is a good option at it's price point too.

You'll really enjoy a Surly, OnOne, 9ZERO7, Salsa then...  :thumbup: .

As mentioned above the Specialized is a good option at it's price point too.

I'm sure I will enjoy these but their price point is ridiculous. Spez spec and weight is very similar to the Titan.

Archived