Full or Partial Knee Construction - advice

Spez247

Jean de Villiers is hoping to get back to World Cup form in less than 8 months after having EVERYTHING repaired.

.......and don't forget the muscle between the ears that also needs training........takes time to build confidence in the repairs made........

At three score years, my knees are shot from soccer, hockey and motor bikes so I'm just waiting for something to properly pop or jam.  Physio has always saved me, and the physio says riding a bike (pedal type lol) is good exercise but I did get some knee specific exercises to do and followed a booklet put out by some NZ organisation that outlined Andrew Mehrtens' pre-op exercises then post op exercises to rehabilitate his knee. Tough but useful and may have helped keep me going 

Also useful to know what exercises to avoid if you have knee issues.

I'm by no means an expert but have some experience in this field.

I would say it depends on the problem. More often than not a torn ACL is a contraindication for a partial knee replacement. If the ACL is intact and the only problem is osteoarthritis on the medial compartment (inner side of the femur) then a partial is the way to go. It will give you another 20 years before needing a total.

I would look at the company your doctor uses for his replacements as well. Keep in mind that the Oxford Partial Knee shows around 92% survivorship at 15 years. Which is massive for a replacement.

Lastly, if you're looking for an opinion on partial vs. total then Dr. Oosthuizen at Wilgeheuwel is your best bet. He has done more partial knees than anyone else in the country.

My 3c.

Jean de Villiers is hoping to get back to World Cup form in less than 8 months after having EVERYTHING repaired.

Right about now would be a good time to retire for him...... and Victor too... both have had several concussions too many.....

My 73 year old mother had both knees replaced at the same time.  They used the new 3D printed ones.  Full 3D scans, sent to USA for processing and then printed locally.  2 surgeons worked simultaneously and both knees 100% successful.

They had her standing after 5 days and walking after 8.  3 weeks of intensive rehab (she booked herself into a place in Howick so no distractions) and within 3 months she was even starting to run - at 73!

She has even grown 2 cm!

Ps.  She even borrowed my daughter's MTB and managed to ride a few kms too.

Howzit Hubbers, been entertained with stock take, so was surprised at all the info posted. Thanks. Getting an MRI on Tuesday, and will get a few opinions, but feel much better informed. The knee is definitely shot. Missing the bike already....

Archived