Another drama for your Friday reading pleasure

Rouxenator

But on a serious note, on the 28th of July 2014 I was riding on Otto du Plessis from the Dolphin Bay hotel towards Blouberg Circle when a guy pulled away from the stop at KFC and crossed directly in front of me. I was doing about 40 odd kph and pulled both brakes hard out of instict, and did a spectaclur endo onto the tar infront of him.

This oke parked his car and came running apologizing and asking if I was okay. I told him three times I was not since I had impaired vision, kind of like seeing three of him through a dark tunnel and my elbow was hurting like mad. Anyway, this oke tried to call my wife after taking about 3 or so miinutes to get her number, when I passed out on the kerb ( I assume - since I came to lying on the ground) he was gone. The oke did a runner and left me there.

It took me about an hour to get my bearings straight and get hold of my wife to help.

I ended up in emergency room undergoing CT scans and X-rays. Still do not know what happened to the guy. My bike is fine and I just had some concussion and a mildly cracked elbow which did not require surgery.

Go figure.

The thing that got me the worst was the four roadies behind me who just kept on going after I properly planted it on the tar right in front of them though.

I rode Bottelary a couple of weeks back with my brother in law. We parked off under a tree waiting for my wife to come pick us up.

There must have been probably 50 or 60 cyclists that passed us and not one single oak asked us if we were okay..... :eek: 

Maybe i'm just dof or missing the point here 

I think she got a big fright when I replied, probably because she did not expect it but also because I did not go on defence, I pointed out why she saw me in the middle of the road and that on my MTB I will need more of that downhill to get beyond 40 km/h, It is a 1x10 so the high gears are not that high.

Most of all I think she got a big fright because I am a bit of a character/troll on the estate facebook group, so everyone knows me. 

Yo Roux, glad you were Ok.

Our complex has a 30km speed limit and twice this year I have had close calls on the bike after people jump the stop street looking in the other direction only.

RE the helmet, wear it all the time, even just testing gears

Yes, the law states bicycles and pedestrians have the right of way but that only really works if they see you in the first place.

When my dad taught me driving as a "laatie" the rule was passed on that you always have to think for the other cars around you and pre-empt their actions.

That saved my butt more than once both in car and on bike!

Ja, I was impressed, I mean on Tour De Stellenbosch I was moer impressed when I got my road bike up to 78km/h near the bottom of Helshoogte. My MTB is maxed out at 61 km/h down Simola.

Jy moet dalk op forum van "Advice on tyres for absa cape epic 2015" ga post watter tipe tyre jy daardie spoed mee behaal het.....

Jy weet, dis vandat hulle nie meer daardie badge wat regop staan op n merc se bonnet het, wat hulle so gereeld ongelukke veroorsaak, geen sence of direction!

Ja I checked some Mercs today. I am really happy it was not one of those with a regop badge because then I might not be a man today. Those things are sharp bru!

Merc's are lovely and expensive to fix!  When she finds out the damage, she might still coming looking for you.

I was once waiting at a robot.  Lights turned green, but cars in front hadn't start moving.  See this Merc in my mirror not stopping.  The lady drove straight into the back of my car. 

My rear bumper was damaged, but her car was only slightly dented (Fiesta vs Merc). 

However it turned out it cost her R10000 + to fix the front of the Merc.

Glad you are ok to tell the story!

But on a serious note, on the 28th of July 2014 I was riding on Otto du Plessis from the Dolphin Bay hotel towards Blouberg Circle when a guy pulled away from the stop at KFC and crossed directly in front of me. I was doing about 40 odd kph and pulled both brakes hard out of instict, and did a spectaclur endo onto the tar infront of him.

This oke parked his car and came running apologizing and asking if I was okay. I told him three times I was not since I had impaired vision, kind of like seeing three of him through a dark tunnel and my elbow was hurting like mad. Anyway, this oke tried to call my wife after taking about 3 or so miinutes to get her number, when I passed out on the kerb ( I assume - since I came to lying on the ground) he was gone. The oke did a runner and left me there.

It took me about an hour to get my bearings straight and get hold of my wife to help.

I ended up in emergency room undergoing CT scans and X-rays. Still do not know what happened to the guy. My bike is fine and I just had some concussion and a mildly cracked elbow which did not require surgery.

Go figure.

The thing that got me the worst was the four roadies behind me who just kept on going after I properly planted it on the tar right in front of them though.

Why do you think you are more important than strava times?

Archived