• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so come now ... how does she ride!?!?!?

It's still in the container.????

Worse than that I am not even sure it's on the water yet! Stupid shipping company sucks!

• 3 weeks later...

what software is that?

It's Solid edge ST8. I'm in the process of buying  a Robotic arm to cut the moulds for the prototype, getting it for a bargain......super excited that the robot will make previously complicated shapes easy to machine :rolleyes:

Sorry to hijack the thread,

Anybody have a bicycle model that they willing to share with me as .STEP or similar?

I have an idea for an adjustable 3-Bike rack that will actually fit 3 bikes, and would like to play around with the model before building it.

Drawing up a decent bicycle will be more work than actually building the bike rack  :whistling:

Hijack off. 

Sorry to hijack the thread,

Anybody have a bicycle model that they willing to share with me as .STEP or similar?

I have an idea for an adjustable 3-Bike rack that will actually fit 3 bikes, and would like to play around with the model before building it.

Drawing up a decent bicycle will be more work than actually building the bike rack  :whistling:

Hijack off. 

Pm me your email

Edited by Burner

• 1 month later...

It's been a slow progression but I've opted for a Delta type 3D printer that I've picked up on Monday past.  Got her started up and did my first test print last night and I'm impressed with the high resolution and speed of the delta printers.

Soooo, now I need to plan the prototype frame print to test if the suspension works as planned.

Hi Burner, Just read this whole thing through in my lunch hour. Just a quick question, when working with carbon fiber how do you guys calculate the frame stiffness, and the amount to use to keep an ideal strength to weight ratio?

And in other news...

My container arrives tomorrow!!!!

That means I'll eventually be able to see if my bike will work or break my teeth out.

You do realise we need pictures of EVERYTHING

Hi Burner, Just read this whole thing through in my lunch hour. Just a quick question, when working with carbon fiber how do you guys calculate the frame stiffness, and the amount to use to keep an ideal strength to weight ratio?

The CAD software I use can calculate the stresses across the frame. I then try my best to relieve those areas or reinforce them if not. Then try to fit the biggest bearings I can find to ease joints and provide enough stiffness without affecting the weight too much. I haven't yet, but I will order the highest modulus carbon per gram that I can find. Then rest can only be tried and tested, computers can only tell you so much. When it's all done, and if I decide to go to market then I'll make up a test station like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

And in other news...

My container arrives tomorrow!!!!

That means I'll eventually be able to see if my bike will work or break my teeth out.

Hey Nolipoli, whats in the container?

The CAD software I use can calculate the stresses across the frame. I then try my best to relieve those areas or reinforce them if not. Then try to fit the biggest bearings I can find to ease joints and provide enough stiffness without affecting the weight too much. I haven't yet, but I will order the highest modulus carbon per gram that I can find. Then rest can only be tried and tested, computers can only tell you so much. When it's all done, and if I decide to go to market then I'll make up a test station like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

Hope this doesn't sound dof, but don't they use different types of carbon on different areas of the bike?

Then they use high modulus on the higher stress areas and a bit lower on the different areas?

Also super cool vid on the stress testing, I suppose every unit that they ship first goes through this process?

Hope this doesn't sound dof, but don't they use different types of carbon on different areas of the bike?

Then they use high modulus on the higher stress areas and a bit lower on the different areas?

Also super cool vid on the stress testing, I suppose every unit that they ship first goes through this process?

You are 100% correct. Depending on the stresses, you will apply the recommended weave. Although, I want to add high modulus to my entire downtube, chain stays and seat stays to increase lateral stiffness.  My objective with the carbon is not to necessarily create a lighter frame than an alumium one, but to increase the lateral stiffness and decrease wear/chipping in these areas (as this might weaken the frame over time). 

No, not every frame will be tested. At least one out of every batch will be. This way they can track faults/improvements over X periods of time and use the info for further developments.

We moved to NZ and have been waiting for our household stuff to arrive, including my steel home built frame. Now I finally get to assemble and test it.