Considering a homemade build

Burner

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that whole jig made out of superwood? Wont it burst into flames when you start welding, or atleast fill your workshop with smoke?

Is that whole jig made out of superwood? Wont it burst into flames when you start welding, or atleast fill your workshop with smoke?

Thanks!

Jimmy, Mdf is a great material for a jig if you are just starting out and are not intending on making hundreds of bike frames.

It will probably char a bit while welding, but normally one would only tack the frame together on the jig and do the big work on a welding bench.

It's nicely mitred nolipoli :thumbup:  Did you do it by hand? 

Thanks. I mitred the whole frame with a hacksaw and a half round file. Its very satisfying, but can take forever if you happen to be a bit of a perfectionist.

• 2 months later...

SOOOO.....It's been a while.....I moved into a new home this month and trying to get everything up to Pretoria from CT is a mission of note. 

While moving, I came across some new internal drivetrains that fit into the BB area, just a bit bigger. According to some reviews, they aren't tough/light enough to be considered for enduro.

I'd like to know if there's anyone locally that has worked on something like this or is developing coz I'd like to incorporate it into my frame design. I think it's got many benefits if done right, although it might be pricey

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I mitred the whole frame with a hacksaw and a half round file. Its very satisfying, but can take forever if you happen to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Nolipoli, hows the build coming along?

I've just been fiddling with my Trek Fuel ex's suspension to get the maximum travel out of it. A set of offset bushes must be made. I'm loving the feel of this bike.

Anyways, I will upload some pics of the model soon. Hopefully progress will start speeding up now :thumbup:

SOOOO.....It's been a while.....I moved into a new home this month and trying to get everything up to Pretoria from CT is a mission of note. 

While moving, I came across some new internal drivetrains that fit into the BB area, just a bit bigger. According to some reviews, they aren't tough/light enough to be considered for enduro.

I'd like to know if there's anyone locally that has worked on something like this or is developing coz I'd like to incorporate it into my frame design. I think it's got many benefits if done right, although it might be pricey

you mean like a Pinion / Effigear setup? AFAIK the Pinion is definitely fine for AM riding, otherwise Nicolai wouldn't even consider using it!

Two weeks I googled about building your own bike and now I see this thread. Very interesting thread. The big question: how difficult is it really to build your own bike? I am quite handy with my hands. And where to source the necessary building material locally?

So I finished my first hardtail frame last week and took it for a spin on the constantia greenbelts. It a bit of an oddball, 640mm top tube, 63 degree head angle and 75mm seat angle. But it works and didnt snap in half so not to bad.

I used two old cromoly frames for the head tube, bb and stays and mild steel for the main tubes, so its pretty heavy. Its almost impossible to get cromoly steel localy but a full tube set can be ordered from stateside for 170 dollars. It took me about a week of evenings to make the actual frame, and about two months of practice brazing to get to that point

Guest notmyname

So I finished my first hardtail frame last week and took it for a spin on the constantia greenbelts. It a bit of an oddball, 640mm top tube, 63 degree head angle and 75mm seat angle. But it works and didnt snap in half so not to bad.

I used two old cromoly frames for the head tube, bb and stays and mild steel for the main tubes, so its pretty heavy. Its almost impossible to get cromoly steel localy but a full tube set can be ordered from stateside for 170 dollars. It took me about a week of evenings to make the actual frame, and about two months of practice brazing to get to that point

How do you expect us to believe you with no pictures dude?

you mean like a Pinion / Effigear setup? AFAIK the Pinion is definitely fine for AM riding, otherwise Nicolai wouldn't even consider using it!

Yes something like that. but ermmmm, maybe it'll just complicate things.

Two weeks I googled about building your own bike and now I see this thread. Very interesting thread. The big question: how difficult is it really to build your own bike? I am quite handy with my hands. And where to source the necessary building material locally?

Thanks Look695 :blush: TBH, I don't believe anything is too difficult, planning really helps. I will plan something within my skill set and resources limitations. Depending on the material you want to use, carbon or steel or titanium, you will be amazed at what some of our local engineering shops and suppliers have. I can point you in the right direction for composites and some special steels....just need to find the details in my old files. 

Well done Jimmy!!!!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap: I did come across a chromoly supplier but its quite expensive. I too first wanted to use two old frames to build the first test bike but I have good access to composites now so I'm going with that.

How do you expect us to believe you with no pictures dude?

Cmon Jimmy Hardtail lets see them pics, after all this is what this thread is for ^_^

Thanks Look695 :blush: TBH, I don't believe anything is too difficult, planning really helps. I will plan something within my skill set and resources limitations. Depending on the material you want to use, carbon or steel or titanium, you will be amazed at what some of our local engineering shops and suppliers have. I can point you in the right direction for composites and some special steels....just need to find the details in my old

Thanks for reply. From my little research☺️ that I have done it looks like the most important would be your jig with all the correct angles and sizes

Thanks Look695 :blush: TBH, I don't believe anything is too difficult, planning really helps. I will plan something within my skill set and resources limitations. Depending on the material you want to use, carbon or steel or titanium, you will be amazed at what some of our local engineering shops and suppliers have. I can point you in the right direction for composites and some special steels....just need to find the details in my old

Thanks for reply. From my little research☺️ that I have done it looks like the most important would be your jig with all the correct angles and sizes

Jigs will keep everything square/accurate. My humble bit of advice is to make the process fun and informative not a chore, this way you'll make a great product.

Archived