Glass on Cradle Route

JanVilj

It may be the idealist in me but as I was cycling in the Cradle this morning dodging broken bottles and praying to the cycling deities that I wouldn't have to stop [again] to fix another puncture... I pondered that we all have to be a part of the solution.

What are the chances/feelings/thoughts about a Saturday/Sunday clean up vibe... I mean, you can cycle your serious lap then grab your dustpan and brush/broom/some heavy black bags and we could all take 100 m and clean it up?

Sure, tomorrow there is another bottle there..but at least its not a collation of yesterday, today and tomorrow's glass bottles!

We could even try to make is festive.

But hey, maybe its an idealist thought...... ?? :)

My idea was to build a little bike trailer that can hold a little bin, a broom and a skoppie, ride from Something Country to Cave and back first thing, and sweep up the glass I see. Thats the most ridden part of the Cradle according to Strava Labs.

Then when done, you park the little trailer and do your training after that.

I will pursue this further if there is interest and other guys who can help with the morning duties (I cant guarentee I can be in the cradle every Saturday morning), as well getting parking space for the trailer at Something Country or close by.

I am sure I could get my company to sponsor the trailer.

Thoughts?

Edit: This type of thing.

http://www.huckinsforge.com/wp-content/gallery/bicycle-trailer/bicycle-trailer.jpg

seems like there is some interest :) i like the various ideas!

even if there are two or three of us at first, perhaps we should jsut DO IT and hope others might follow suit....?

Didn't PPA fund a road sweeper a while back, a commercial machine/contractor as a contribution to Gauteng cycling, maybe something like that could be done more regularly?

seems like there is some interest :) i like the various ideas!

even if there are two or three of us at first, perhaps we should jsut DO IT and hope others might follow suit....?

Ok done.

I will get the ball rolling on my side and see what I can do about getting a little trailer built. Perhaps if its done and people see it/us in action, they will volunteer to join.

Will report back on progress.

happy to assist here where possible, I use the cradle so often it would be a pleasure to put some time back...

in fact going for a post work cycle this evening

Good news and good news.

I have a budget approved to get the little trailer built and will get cracking on this early next week. If anybody knows of somebody who can do a little custom trailer, please let me know.

I also went and spoke to Mike, the owner of Something Country yesterday, besides being a very cool Oom, he says he will GLADLY store the trailer at his restaurant for us.

So all the balls are now in motion, will report back next week on progress.

Cyclelab has arranged for the roads department to run their sweeping vehicle through the cradle before. I will follow up on monday as to when this is scheduled again

Not sure of the efficiency of the little bike trailer.

Suggestion: Someone with a big bakkie or bus pick a group of us up at Something Country or other location. Drop off two people every 1km (one for each side of the road) then circle the route and pick up each person again say 1 hour later.

Bring a brush, bag for rubbish, bucket for glass and shovel (for the sand).

We may need more than one vehicle.

Not sure of the efficiency of the little bike trailer.

Suggestion: Someone with a big bakkie or bus pick a group of us up at Something Country or other location. Drop off two people every 1km (one for each side of the road) then circle the route and pick up each person again say 1 hour later.

Bring a brush, bag for rubbish, bucket for glass and shovel (for the sand).

We may need more than one vehicle.

Good idea, arrange it.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to the Cyclelab guys - they are busy trying to arrange the municipal street sweeper machine

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am not getting much joy from the classifieds here on the hub, or finding much on the other smalls websites OLX/Gumtree etc.

Does anybody know of a guy who can do custom builds like the trailers above?

Archived