Best wheel size for lady

Georg

Hi Everyone.

We are new to the sport and we want to buy the right entry level MTB from the start.

We are not sure what wheel size to get for my wife.

She is 1.72m in height.

We are confused with all the wheel sizes and not sure what is the best to buy.

Some shop owners suggest 650b, others 27.5 and then 29"

Is there lady riders that can assist us to make the correct choice, Please?

I see a lot of ladies on the trail struggling with 29ers, not necessarily that the fit isn't right but that around tight single track a long wheel base 29er can be a mission to manoeuvre. I've also seen strong lady riders rip on 29ers but I'd say go for the smaller (lighter) wheel options for now. 650b and 27.5 are the same thing.

Hi Everyone.

We are new to the sport and we want to buy the right entry level MTB from the start.

She is 1.72m in height.

Hi George,

Welcome to the mtb community!

First off 650b and 27.5 are commonly interchanged terms and refer to the same thing.

1.72 is probably a medium frame, so either a 29er or a 650b would be fine. In the small and extra small sizes the 29er geometry tends to get a bit awkward and the 650b is a better option.

There is nothing wrong with 26ers, but bear in mind that its been a few years since they went out of favour, and most advancements in suspension design have been focused on the other 2 wheel sizes.

You will definitely find some good deals in the classified section so its worth a look.

Good luck with your shopping!

I fail to see what gender has to do with wheel size. She isn't too short for a 29er in terms of standover height, so both 29er and 650b are viable options. Advice is the same as for a male rider: test ride both and go for personal preference.

EDIT: Be careful if considering women specific bikes. They tend to be heavier and lower spec at the same pricepoint as regular bikes.

Edited by 2bliss

My wife is around 1.65m tall, she was on a 26er then on a 650b and now she has a 29er and she loves it and wont go for anything else. All three of them was men specific bikes.

My wife is around 1.65m tall, she was on a 26er then on a 650b and now she has a 29er and she loves it and wont go for anything else. All three of them was men specific bikes.

She started off and gained her confidence on the smaller sizes.

Some women are put off by the wider bars on the 29ers needed to turn the big wheels.

You don't want to scare off a nooby

Go with what Wyatt suggests - I would love to know tho ;)

My suggestion is to let her ride the bikes and get a feel.

When I bought my first upgrade 2 years ago - I would never have gone 29er the ones I had ridden were big and awkward. I bought the same bike in a 26er and loved it!!

Enter time to upgrade again - various reasons why but some were potentially wheel size related.

I knew what I wanted my bike to feel like - struggled to find test bikes that I could try on my local trails. Rode a friends woman's specific 29er and loved it - admittedly it was not an entry level bike and well specced. But I still had to pedal the thing and maneuver it on the ST I regularily ride. I'm a small frame (ladies medium). I bought the same bike in a lower specked model ( sold out on the one I rode) but upgraded to a lighter wheel set - as I def could feel the benefit in doing it.

Don't know if this helps - your partner sounds like she doesn't have much to compare to know what she wants. And the only way to get into it is to ride. Just what ever you do get her a woman's specific saddle! :)

Edited by Da Vinci

Hopefully I can add value with my completely newbie advice.

I am 1.79 tall.

I bought a 29" bike because it was pretty and I wanted it! I am a real scardy cat when it comes to technical sections and to be honest I should have gone with either a 26" or 27.5" wheel size rather as I feel I am not technically skillful enough to handle the bigger wheel size on the more technical sections yet.

I would most probably have moved up to a 29" in due course but for my technical ability and strength I feel it just too big right now!

Having said that............I will continue and conquer as it is pretty

Hopefully I can add value with my completely newbie advice.

I am 1.79 tall.

I bought a 29" bike because it was pretty and I wanted it! I am a real scardy cat when it comes to technical sections and to be honest I should have gone with either a 26" or 27.5" wheel size rather as I feel I am not technically skillful enough to handle the bigger wheel size on the more technical sections yet.

I would most probably have moved up to a 29" in due course but for my technical ability and strength I feel it just too big right now!

Having said that............I will continue and conquer as it is pretty

Exactly what I felt when I tried the 29er 2 years ago - I felt the 26er was the kind of bike I could "pick up" if I got into trouble but the 29er was too big and unwieldy. Now that I am more technically comfortable the 29er I now ride feels like a natural progression

At that height, go for a 29er. I am 1.68 tall and I love mine. When I travelled to JHB last year I used to use my boyfriend's old 26er and I absolutely hate it and am less technically proficient, it doesnt have the same rolling resistance so anything you want to ride over, be it a rock or a pavement or a tree stump, its harder to get the bike over. I also feel like I am sitting "on" the bike as opposed to my29er when I feel more confident and like I am part of the bike. 

It has nothing to do with height but all to do with the nimbleness of the various wheel sizes.

The best for any beginner is 26" but it's gonna be a dead wheel size for regular riding soon.

The next step up is 650 b.

As much as I hate to admit, that is true. 26 tyres (good ones) are becoming more and more rare with every passing day

But ito which is best - imo wheel size should be the final consideration. First the type of riding, then the geometry and then the bike within those criteria that you like best. Sixer niner 650b whatever. It doesn't matter.

You get brilliantly handling niners and *** handling sixers. It's all in the geometry.

Hi George

I agree with most of the comments saying 650b or 29er is fine for your wife's height. I am 1.68 and ride a 650b, I started out on a mens medium 29er and hated it. That said now that I am pretty comfortable riding, and more in control of the bike, I am very happy on a small 29er as well (or women's specific medium)- it totally depends on the bike.

Basically it comes down to trying the bikes (preferably not just in a parking lot). Personally I found 650b great to learn on- especially on more technical trail and tight switchbacks, but I think it comes down to preference and the type of riding that you'll be doing.

Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone.

We are new to the sport and we want to buy the right entry level MTB from the start.

She is 1.72m in height.