Coming back after a Heart Attack

Hi Guys - I need some help. I am back from a heart attack one year ago and recovered 100%. However I am still on medication that cause my heart rate to go to a maximum of about 120 to 125. This apparently is due to a "Beta Blocker" that I take that acts as a governor on the heart. I am extremely happy with my Cardiologist and what he did for me but he does not understand that in cycling I mean doing 120km's on a Saturday and same on Sunday. He said I can train and ride as before but with this blocker it is impossible as my legs just don't want to go.

Enough about the history. I need to go and see someone with a sports background / experience in endurance sport that can help me to assess the medication and if anything else is available. Can you guys recommend someone in Johannesburg or Pretoria

I personally respect the fact that you are out there looking for alternatives. I do not know of anyone in this field unfortunately.

All the best and I hope you find what you are after!

Good luck Broker

I found that there is little info out there on cycling/training for fit athletes while also dealing with heart problems.

Most of the medical knowledge seems to focus on people who never exercised in the first place.

Do you want to ride for 3 months or forever ? Listen to your doc .

That is quite a rough reply.

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation on Friday last week after spending Thursday night in ICU.  I have also been put on beta blockers.

My resting heart rate has since dropped from 52 to 48.

I am new to cycling, having only bee riding for two and a half years, but the thought of not being able to ride at the same level again is really sh!tty.

My cycling has helped me loose weight, manage stress better and help me have an overall better outlook on life.

I enjoy the training, the places I ride - cradle and SBR(when open), and racing.  I have become quite competitive over the last year.

I am just hoping that the beta blocker dose that I am on, and that my cardiologist says he would possibly reduce it to would have less of an impact on my maximum heart rate.

Broker, I don't know how you managed to not ride for a year, I am desperate to ride, but have to wait till this weekend before I am even allowed to pedal a little bit on the IDT.

Hi Broker,

im very glad you here today to start this thread, a lot of people I know that have had a heart attack have died before they hit the ground.

the beta blocker you taking does keep your heart rate down ive felt if I take beta blocker I cant push as hard and im out of breath easier( which makes sense right, less heart beats means less oxygen)

I would say work with the cardiologist here and listen to him, if you riding is effected you might need to accept it in order to stay alive,

how did you know you were having a heart attack? sharp pain in your chest? (if you don't want to answer id understand)

good luck and happy riding

This is a tuffy.............and the reason is that the human body is the only machine that becomes more efficient and stronger the longer you use (not abuse) it. There are some physiological changes that take place in the body that is put under acceptable levels of physical stress (training). One of them is that "evidence suggests that

the capillary density of the ventricular myocardium can be increased by endurance exercise training." (see article). This will have an effect on the levels of physical activity that can be maintained and the medication used to manage a condition.

Best advice.......contact V12.......set up a meeting with a cardiologist with an exercise physiology background.........get the engine pump professionally tested under stress to max. According to the results and data a new level of physical activity and medication might be prescribed. Do this regularly.......contributes to peace of mind.

Here is some info:

All the best!

I use a cardiologist at Flora Clinic who has studies sports science at UCT under Prof Nokes as well, Dr Rob Tager. Awesome guy and good luck.

[quote name="Richard29" post="2577766" timestamp="142658d.

how did you know you were having a heart attack? sharp pain in your chest? (if you don't want to answer id understand)

good luck and happy riding

Thanks Richard I was probably very lucky and extremely blessed. Last year whilst doing the Carnival City I had this pain in my chest and battled to breath. Thought it was after effects of bronchitis. Later the afternoon it got worse and I went to emergency at Olivedale They did an ECG which was fine and while waiting for the blood results it happened I know nothing but was told later that they had to resusitate me and shocked me a few times to get my heart going again

I understand the importance of working with the Doc but would like to hear from other cyclists in similar situations how they handled it

That is quite a rough reply.

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation on Friday last week after spending Thursday night in ICU.  I have also been put on beta blockers.

My resting heart rate has since dropped from 52 to 48.

I am new to cycling, having only bee riding for two and a half years, but the thought of not being able to ride at the same level again is really sh!tty.

My cycling has helped me loose weight, manage stress better and help me have an overall better outlook on life.

I enjoy the training, the places I ride - cradle and SBR(when open), and racing.  I have become quite competitive over the last year.

I am just hoping that the beta blocker dose that I am on, and that my cardiologist says he would possibly reduce it to would have less of an impact on my maximum heart rate.

Broker, I don't know how you managed to not ride for a year, I am desperate to ride, but have to wait till this weekend before I am even allowed to pedal a little bit on the IDT.

Thanks BlueMonster I wish you well and a speedy recovery. I started riding again after three months but had to keep it slow and I was not allowed to get my heart rate above 65% of max = that is like standing still Got the all clear now a year after the event to train at higher intensity. Might be a good idea that we keep in touch and share some war stories about our tickers Will pm you my contact details Wish you well

Thanks Richard I was probably very lucky and extremely blessed. Last year whilst doing the Carnival City I had this pain in my chest and battled to breath. Thought it was after effects of bronchitis. Later the afternoon it got worse and I went to emergency at Olivedale They did an ECG which was fine and while waiting for the blood results it happened I know nothing but was told later that they had to resusitate me and shocked me a few times to get my heart going again

I understand the importance of working with the Doc but would like to hear from other cyclists in similar situations how they handled it

Hi Broker

Had a light heart attack 8 years ago at age 37. Spend 3 days in in Panorama's cardiology ward. Had an angiogram taken and was diagnosed with arteriosclerosis with light plaque build-up. Since then taking following medication carloc(beta-blocker) 25 mg, adco simvastatin 40 mg, Ciplacyl and aspirin. Went for yearly check-ups at cardiologist (yes that one that's currently in a high profile court case :whistling: ) for first 6 years till he was satisfied we could stretch it to 3 year intervals. At said check-up you get the whole shebang: Carotid ultrasound vascular study, Pulmonary stress testing with determination of VO2 max and a whole lot cardiac examinations.

I think our situations differ slightly because your episode sounds way more severe, and I only started cycling after episode on said doctors orders and can only find the time to cycle 7 - 8 hours per week on my mountain bike. You sound a lot fitter than me.

That said, my take on everything is the following. I cannot push like my mates because of beta-blocker. Doc said get heart rate monitor and try to exercise at 120 bpm avg. I struggle to get above that average! If I stop taking beta blockers a day or two before Argus or Burger my average goes up to 140-150 and my speed increases. I stopped doing those experiments because I don't want to end up in hospital again. I also suffer from muscle pain and I suspect the simvastatin's. (Lots of threads on the hub on that topic)

In the end for me it boils down to this. I have a slight disadvantage on my cycling mates because of my condition. The rest of my 45 year old age group mates is at much higher risk because of their beer boeps and inactive lifestyle.  I am not going to risk my health and stop or alter medication to increase my performance to keep up with the top 25 percentile.

I am not familiar with your post heart attack cardiologist history, but would suggest regular thorough check-up's and then work from that.

+ 1 on getting Doc V12 involved. He has the same cycling addiction you have and probably can make few suggestions on a pm basis.

Hi Dubbin _ Sitution sound so similar. I also experimented once by stop taking the meds a few days before the weekend an then I can easily get my HR up to 145 to 160 level and actually feel great. Also decided not to take the risk again. I go every 6 months for the full monty of test and was given the all clear to train at my last visit. I started this topic to get more real life experience advice and maybe a 2nd opinion on the Betablockers.

Thanks to all of you for the responses and advice

• 6 months later...

Hi all Blockers.........

i have joint the club yesterday i am on 5mg of Beta Blockers. I would like any feedback from users regarding training and heart rate.......i battle without the pills to cycle and now with the pills what is going to happen?? :eek:  

and i have a defibrillator which was implanted 4 years ago and it gave me a shock a few weekends ago.........this event made the cardiologist put me on the blockers...

Archived