Carbon Road Bike for <R20 000

Minion

I'm looking at upgrading from my Merida 904 and moving to a carbon bike. My upper spending limit is R20k, although I may consider going a little bit higher if there's a good enough reason.

The bikes I've seen so far that interest me are:

1.) Silverback Kansas

- Full Ultegra SL

- 53/39T, 12-25T

- Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels

2.) Fuji Team Pro

- Ultegra w. DA rear derailleur, FSA Team Issue Carbon crank (the one I saw at Linden had an Ultegra SL crank)

- 53/39T, 12-23T

- Shimano RS-10 wheels

3.) Schwinn Peloton Pro

- Full Ultegra (spec says normal, but the one I saw looked like SL)

- 50/34T, 11-23T (I'm not 100% sure about compact cranks, but would still consider getting them)

- Mavis Aksium wheels

From my brief look, they all seem to be sitting in the 18k-19k price range

Does anyone have any opinions on these brands and these specific models?

Has anyone bought one of these bikes and really enjoyed it? Or really hated it?

Are there other bikes that you think I should consider?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate of mine has a Scott CR1 Ultegra Groupset, FSA compact Crank, American Classic CR 420's   wants R 15000

Hi Edman

Some questions:

1. Do you prefer Shimano components?

2. What size frame are you looking for?

Have a look at the Felt F4  -

Ultegra SL 53/39T or compact 50/34, 25-11T

Shimano RS-20 wheels.

I got mine in January - very happy.  R16000 - 17000.00

Upgraded wheelset to Easton EA 90 SL. 

Marida 907 ,21k at cyclelab,full carbon,ultegra,fsa crabon cranks,Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels.

I've got one,very nice bike.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm currently riding a XL (60-62cm) road bike and a 20" MTB. I'm a bit stretched out on the road bike, so I'd probably be looking at something around 58-60cm or equivalent frame size.

I'm most likely to go for a new bike due to aesthetics (that 'new bike' feel) and warranty concerns, but I'd consider 2nd hand given a good deal.

I have no particular preference for any specific components. I have specified Shimano simply because that is what I am familiar with and what I can easily find in my price range.

I currently own two Meridas (road and MTB) and the 907 was the first bike I looked at when I thought about upgrading. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra R2000 or so more than the others, even considering my good experiences with the brand.

Edit: Sammajoor, what size is the Scott?

Edman2008-03-29 09:16:30

I have a Cervelo R3 Dura-Ace and Ultegra compnents, 58cm I will take R20 000 for the bike.

Go with the Kansas. Great local back up, lifetime warranty on the frame for the first owner and Fulcrum wheels are much better than anything else in that price range.

@Edman:

First of all, re the size issue:

Going from a 62 to a 58 is a big change. 2cm not that hectic, but 4cm is a lot.

Have you tried some on-line fit calculators?

I like this one:

it gives you 3 fits for a roadbike, the Competitive fit is the most aggressive, and the French fit the most laid back.

This will give a good starting point, and at least give you an idea of size+stem length, then the LBS can fit the right one for you as part of the deal.

Secondly, I would so not buy a new frame! For 2nd hand stuff it is such a buyer's market, that you can get nice stuff for 50% of the new price.

Clayton44400 has large 2 frames for sale:

I think Trek like Bianchi has a no questions asked replacement policy, so if you have any issues, they wont let you down.

Spinnekop has some SRAM Force shifters & deraileurs:

For R20k you can come close to building up a super bike.

Another alternative would be to get a new Merida frame and build it up with Spinnekop's goodies.

If you are dead set on buying new, a Merida like the one wisecrack posted a pic of looks very nice!

Have to agree with Christie.. With that kinda money you can have ultimate bike, if you just take your time and look at the clasifieds.

look at the threats posted by him.

and if you really have to buy a new frame then only buy the frame You can spec it very nice from stuff from the hub at half the price..

20080331_085259_New-999-Deal.jpg

Brand New:

SL Pro Carbon frame and fork (same as Peloton in black, blue, pink or white)
Shimano Dura Ace STI levers
Shimano Dura Ace front and rear mechs
Shimano Ultegra cassette (12/25) and chain
FSA Gossamer compact chainset (50/34)
Tektro R720 dual pivot brakeset
Planet-X SL Forged Seatpost
Planet-X oversized triple butted SL Team bars
Planet-X 3D Forged SL Team oversized stem
Planet-X Model B Wheelset - 20f/24r bladed spokes
Schwalbe Ultremo tyres
Planet-X SL Team CroMo Saddle (black)

R16,000.00

20080331_085838_999_Road_White.jpg

SL Pro Carbon frame and fork  (same as Peloton in black, blue, pink or white)
Fork: Carbon Road
Chainset: Ultegra
Mechs: Ultegra
STI's: Ultegra
Cassette:: Ultegra (12/25)
Chain: Ultegra
Brakes: Tektro R720
Wheels: Planet-X Model-C
Tyres: Conti Ultrasport Kevlar - Black
Bars: Planet-X 6061 Alloy
Stem:Planet-X SL Team
Saddle: Planet-X SL Team CroMo - Black
Bar Tape: Cork - Black

R16,000.00

Also full Dura Ace, Carbon aerowheels etc... 

Full 2 year warranty and crash replacement policy included.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Demo bike available for test rides. Just PM for more info!
Kiwi2008-03-31 09:36:22

PS - New Campy & Shimano top end gruppo's will be launched I guess around September this year, will stay away from DuraAce, Record & Chorus if you are buying new, till September, at least. So that leaves SRAM, Ultegra & lower, Centaur & lower (but if you decide to go for Centaur, get Chorus shifters with it, the 2007 Centaur/lower downshift mechanism is a disapointment imo)

I wonder if that Sworks Tarmac is your size...
Christie2008-03-31 09:48:51

Well, I busted out the tape measure and spirit level, together with a helpful assistant and did some measuring of myself and my Merida. I reached the following conclusions:

1.) I have long legs and short arms (I already knew this) - the Hypnotoad has accordingly been replaced with a more suitable avatar.

2.) The sticker on my Merida says 60-62cm. None of the my frame measurements are in this range. The effective, horizontal, top tube length is 590mm and it miiight be possible that the theoretical horizontal top tube intersects my seatpost 60-62cm above my BB - my brain melted at this point.

3.) My ideal frame, as calculated by Competitive Cyclist, does not exist: it would need a top tube of 55cm and a seat tube of 63cm (see results below)

uploads/20080331_111312_Fit_Calculator_.zip

4.) Never, under any circumstances, do a Google Image search for 'Rex' without first making sure Safe Search is on.

The uncertainty on frame sizing is making me somewhat weary about buying a secondhand bike or just a frame. If I buy new, there'll be a range of sizes to look at and, depending where I buy, I can have some time to try out the bike.

With a frame there's the risk that I'll spend a whole lot of time building the thing only to find it doesn't fit (I would, of course, had a whole lot of fun right up to that point).

Making my choice even harder is that I can get a new Silverback Kansas for R16k (about R1500 less than at Linden) through a contact at work.