rockshox fork seal

Heenan

I got my fork serviced a month ago and today riding down gspot the dust seal popped off. Is this because the fork wasn't put back together correctly or is it something that just happens? What must I do now about the fork? Some dust did get into the fork. Any help would be great.

post-43252-0-79271300-1427212248_thumb.jpg

post-43252-0-71547800-1427212258_thumb.jpg

post-43252-0-20139300-1427212267_thumb.jpg

This does happen occasionally, could have been seated incorrectly or just a dud seal. Take it back for a lowers service, and make sure they clean the seal and the gland with alcohol before reinserting. Makes it an absolute pig to get in, but it won't come out again.

This does happen occasionally, could have been seated incorrectly or just a dud seal. Take it back for a lowers service, and make sure they clean the seal and the gland with alcohol before reinserting. Makes it an absolute pig to get in, but it won't come out again.

Thanks ill do that

Judging by the position of that dust seal on the stanchion, you only used around half of your available travel on that fork.....

You need to try harder

Might be a seal fault on the air piston as it is the left seal that has popped.  Check to see if you have lost any pressure, especially if you have a dual air.  In any event back to the service centre. 

• 7 months later...

Evening everyone,

I recently noticed some damage to one of the stanchions on my Rockshox Recon fork, and need some advice on the extent of the damage and my options. I've had the bike for just over a year (my first mtb which I bought 2nd hand) and it has had a minor and major service but not a fork service (until recently I thought a major service would include sorting out the fork as well.. noob!).

I've attached a picture of the stanchion in question, the wear is just above the seal. Its barely visible and doesn't leak oil, but it does feel a bit rough when I run my finger across it.

​​

So how severe is the damage? Will a service now sort it out or should I cut my losses and start browsing the classifieds for a new one?

Thanks for the help!

post-63710-0-15629000-1447524285_thumb.jpg

Evening everyone,

I recently noticed some damage to one of the stanchions on my Rockshox Recon fork, and need some advice on the extent of the damage and my options. I've had the bike for just over a year (my first mtb which I bought 2nd hand) and it has had a minor and major service but not a fork service (until recently I thought a major service would include sorting out the fork as well.. noob!).

I've attached a picture of the stanchion in question, the wear is just above the seal. Its barely visible and doesn't leak oil, but it does feel a bit rough when I run my finger across it.

​​

So how severe is the damage? Will a service now sort it out or should I cut my losses and start browsing the classifieds for a new one?

Thanks for the help!

That does not look promising. A Lower fork leg service will open the fork up to see the extent of the damage. That is your first stop.

If the stanchion is shot, you can still ride it, will just need regular services, a good time to sommer learn how to DIY.

I have a recon that I also bought 2nd hand with terribly worn stanchions, so I'll riding it two years later. Any fork bought 2nd hand has the risk of worn stanchions.

Edited by PhilipV

That does not look promising. A Lower fork leg service will open the fork up to see the extent of the damage. That is your first stop.

If the stanchion is shot, you can still ride it, will just need regular services, a good time to sommer learn how to DIY.

I have a recon that I also bought 2nd hand with terribly worn stanchions, so I'll riding it two years later. Any fork bought 2nd hand has the risk of worn stanchions.

Ok cool, thanks for the help! Will take it in for a service, hopefully the damage isn't too extensive.

Any idea how much it will come to?? I know the service will be between R600 - R800 but I have no idea how much the replacement parts will cost... Don't want to be in for a shock.

Ok cool, thanks for the help! Will take it in for a service, hopefully the damage isn't too extensive.

Any idea how much it will come to?? I know the service will be between R600 - R800 but I have no idea how much the replacement parts will cost... Don't want to be in for a shock.

If you are going to replace the stanchions, it will be thousands (iirc a fox stanchion replacement cost my mate something like 3k) otherwise a normal service is around 800 bucks.

@Theo_22. If you are in Cape Town, go to Stoke Suspension Works. Droo is on the hub - He works there. They are really good with their services. I can definitely recommend them.

@Theo_22. If you are in Cape Town, go to Stoke Suspension Works. Droo is on the hub - He works there. They are really good with their services. I can definitely recommend them.

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely get in touch with them, should be heading through to CT this week