Help on Buying a Giant Anthem

Attie Lourens

If he doesn't take it, I may also be keen. Please let me know.

What wheel size is your trance?

The Anthem 27.5 X with the 120mm fork also looks interesting but for the rocky, sandy tracks of the western cape, 29ers rock. If I stayed in KZN or somewhere with smoother trails and single track, the 27.5 is the puppies nuts

Pm me an offer :) if I can get a reasonable amount I will sell.

trance is a 2015 trance 2 27.5.. with lots of upgrades... 160mm pike and flow ex wheels. so much fun to ride. hence the anthem never leaves the house any more

I have an almost new 2014 anthem x 29er medium with ztr arch ex wheelset im considering selling if you're interested . since I bought my trance I hardly ever ride it any more . pm me

Pm sent.

Hi Attie,

Just my 2c, as I have ridden both wheel sizes on Anthem X's quite extensively and have test ridden the 26" as well. Currently have AX Advanced 27.5 (but that's for another day  :thumbup:  talking about my baby)

Go and test ride these bikes, preferably somewhere where you've ridden allot before.  They are miles apart from each other in my opinion.

I personally believe more in Geo, perfect fitment (handlebars/stems/fitment) and engine issues than wheel sizes.

From my experience everything I never got used to on the AX29 (rode for 2years) as far as handling and geo, they fixed on the 27.5. The maestro design has also been tweaked for the 27.5 wheel. Also, the whole bike was designed from scratch, i.e. no "old" part was used in designing the 27.5. I did as much reading as available on these bikes and sometimes you will see that guys mention that the maestro design isn't ideal for the 29er wheel, thus the reason for the long chain-stays that everyone mentions/notices but not necessary complain about. To be honest, I think Giant is trying to keep this quite. With Giant only stating that 29er weren't exactly right for them. The dimensions of the front vs rear triangle changed quite allot on the 27.5 versus the AX29.

The AX29 felt to me like a boring bike, but felt alive when pushed hard, and that's what Anthems are supposed to do. The harder you push it, the more lively the bike becomes. :drool:

The 27.5 is just all round a much more fun bike. I just cannot get over how awesome this bike rides and handles. Downhills are also allot more fun and engaging. With the best way to sum up the 27.5 being brilliantly balanced.

Look, don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my AX29, and it serves it purpose as an all day out epic/stage race ride bike in its full right. They don't tell you that on the website for nothing. I don't want to step on any toes, but this bike compares to the best stage race bikes out there. Just a different "look".

I do however have a Niner HT, which feels much better (considering points mentioned above) than the AX29. So I'm not anti 29er.

As far as frame replacement, I haven't heard someone not getting his frame replaced in a reasonable time from the supplier.

Again, this is just my experience. Go and Ride.... :clap:

Jis boetman, as dit jou 2c is wil ek nie sien wat gebeur as jy 'n R1 gee nie!  :P

Hi Attie,

Just my 2c...

Brilliant review Dubber.

Reason I chose the 27.5 and not the 29er, I love technical stuff and windy (wine-dy) singletrack, and the 27.5 handle that stuff with such ease, it's so quick to manoeuvre.

Jis boetman, as dit jou 2c is wil ek nie sien wat gebeur as jy 'n R1 gee nie!  :P

:thumbup:

Het lanklaas iets op die hub geskryf, en so 'n topic is moeilik om te ignoreer...

Anthems FTW! Whoop whoop!

Edited by Dubber88

Brilliant review Dubber.

Reason I chose the 27.5 and not the 29er, I love technical stuff and windy (wine-dy) singletrack, and the 27.5 handle that stuff with such ease, it's so quick to manoeuvre.

Cool.

I work in Auckland Park, and would like to get some info on where you ride/train? 

Pm sent.

Mr Lyle is a really nice honest chap to deal with.

I know there is always a little concern with dealing on a forum but I have bought from him in the past and his word is good.

Just a question regarding the warranty, how do they keep track of that? Was I supposed to have been given some sort of ownership papers from the bike shop?

Dont buy it 2nd hand for that close to the price of a new one.

Frame warranty is only for original purchaser and its a seriously good warranty.

Personally Im happy with my 29er, tried an anthem 27.5 and glad I have the 29.

I do agree the price difference is not big enough to justify buying second hand.

What would be a fair offer to make on the 2nd hand Anthem 2014 27.5?

got a Anthem x Adv, the last 3 rides it brought me down hard on the single tracks, I come from the Scott stable, one thing I noticed is that my back wheel is more in the air than what I'd liked it to be, going over small bumps etc, I have now changed the stem to negative, hope that will assist, maybe my shock setting was also a bit to low as I kept on hitting the roots etc with my pedals

Whenever I rode the anthem 29 er I always felt that cornering and handling could be better and on descents I was to much forward on the bike .This is because of the long chain stays and steep head angle .It makes for a very good climbing and flat riding geometry bike thou  .On the 27,5 both the chain stays are shorter and head angle is slacker contributing to better handling  ,making a good bike a very good bike