If Five Tens are the best flat pedal shoe, then what's 2nd best?

DemitriN

I have/had 510 freerider pro, they were nice, but they didnt last that long, I still have them and they can be used, but only in the dry, they have holes in the soles and the sole seems to have started delaminating on the pressure points on the pedals.

I now have Leatt DBX 3.0 really enjoying them so far, they grip well, have a nice stiff sole for pedaling, but not so stiff that hike a bike is uncomfortable, I regularly wear them for walking around in while shopping, but you need to be careful when lacing them up, they have no stretch laces, so they have NO give if you do them up tight

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MajG said:

Latest 2FO are not to my liking. So I won't be buying them again, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Trashy said:

I have the 2FO Roost and I find them very comfy.

I also ride the Roost and they are indeed very comfy. I have zero issues on climbing, hiking a biking, or even just pedalling the West Coast cycle path on lazy days.

but they really come into their own when the bars point down and the trail turns gnarly. The amount of confidence I get from those shoes is amazing. Even now after my injury I still manage to ride with no thought about my feet. They stay on the pedals no issue.

I rode Contermans this past Saturday and even in that heat my feet never felt hot and uncomfortable. On the bits I decided to hike I felt like I was walking with normal hiking shoes, not the stiffness of cleated mtb shoes. I don't miss riding with traditional cleat shoes and likely won't return any time soon.

24 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I also ride the Roost and they are indeed very comfy. I have zero issues on climbing, hiking a biking, or even just pedalling the West Coast cycle path on lazy days.

but they really come into their own when the bars point down and the trail turns gnarly. The amount of confidence I get from those shoes is amazing. Even now after my injury I still manage to ride with no thought about my feet. They stay on the pedals no issue.

I rode Contermans this past Saturday and even in that heat my feet never felt hot and uncomfortable. On the bits I decided to hike I felt like I was walking with normal hiking shoes, not the stiffness of cleated mtb shoes. I don't miss riding with traditional cleat shoes and likely won't return any time soon.

2FO can take a hiding for sure, amount of falls , scrapes etc and they very well intact. 

Actually did a long hike a bike back up to black rhino 1 in Contermanskloof not too long ago, and can say I wasn't too comfortable in the shoes at the top. But I literally walked from the bottom right up 🤣🤣🤣 as I was finished but wanted another ride down

@Jewbacca had my eye on those shimano am5,  did you bring in a pair from over the oceans?

2 minutes ago, MajG said:

2FO can take a hiding for sure, amount of falls , scrapes etc and they very well intact. 

Actually did a long hike a bike back up to black rhino 1 in Contermanskloof not too long ago, and can say I wasn't too comfortable in the shoes at the top. But I literally walked from the bottom right up 🤣🤣🤣 as I was finished but wanted another ride down

@Jewbacca had my eye on those shimano am5,  did you bring in a pair from over the oceans?

They are likely a lot more comfortable after such a long walk than most other 'bike specific' shoes.

I had some 5/10s and they were awesome. But the rubber came away from the shank twice and were replaced on warranty. I eventually gave the 3rd pair to a mate.

The Shimano AM5's were an import. You're right. I've been riding in them again recently after reaching for the dancing shoes over the last couple of years. They are great. I had forgotten how comfortable and compliant they are. That little inside ankle protector is tops

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

They are likely a lot more comfortable after such a long walk than most other 'bike specific' shoes.

I had some 5/10s and they were awesome. But the rubber came away from the shank twice and were replaced on warranty. I eventually gave the 3rd pair to a mate.

The Shimano AM5's were an import. You're right. I've been riding in them again recently after reaching for the dancing shoes over the last couple of years. They are great. I had forgotten how comfortable and compliant they are. That little inside ankle protector is tops

Read many reviews on the AM5, will await someone to come back from Europe to bring me a pair.

You just gave me that certainty I needed , just don't want the import duties.

Will wait it out, 👍🏼

9 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Does anyone have any opinions on the Leatt range? I was tossing the coin between 2FO and Leatt and you know the rest.

image.png.18bddf4df99142ae5e23bc06d0c1fdc5.png

I've got the DBX 3.0. Love them, but they could be a little more comfortable. Have great support, very tough sole, and can walk around in them no problem. Someone mentioned the laces don't stretch, so you just have to keep them a little looser so they don't cut the blood off. I also find that the inside of the shoes near the toes, have these ridges inside, which catch toenails from time to time, so make sure to get a pedi before using them 😉 

• 4 weeks later...

So lets talk about flat shoes again. I am looking for a stiffer sole. I am on my second pair of five tens and i feel as if the pedal pins are pushing thru the soft sole. I would also prefer less flex. Out of the 2fo, leat, bontragger, which is the most stiff. 😃 

5 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

So lets talk about flat shoes again. I am looking for a stiffer sole. I am on my second pair of five tens and i feel as if the pedal pins are pushing thru the soft sole. I would also prefer less flex. Out of the 2fo, leat, bontragger, which is the most stiff. 😃 

Don’t exclude Ride Concepts

The Bontragers aren’t super stiff. Good but not great. I prefer the Ride Concepts. 

2 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Thanx Steady, i almost forgot about them Ride C's, thanx.

After weeks of considering the limited flat shoe options available locally, I bought a pair of the Ride Concepts Hellion about three months ago and I must say that I love them!

The sole is nice and stiff but the shoe is still quite comfortable to walk in if need be. Great heel and toe protection and the gusseted tongue keeps debris out. I was pleasantly surprised how well they keep moisture out on wet rides too. 

I'd recommend getting a size larger as they fit very snug and the toe cap does not stretch. I had to return my initial size UK 8 for a 9. I have seen zero wear to date, but that may just be an indication that I am not riding nearly enough 😅

Thanx Steady, wonder how these compare to 2fo, i am sure i heard the 2fo has major stiff soles, but i might be wrong. Will see if i can test as many as possible.

Hi guys, another related question, mtb baggy shorts, non padded, in navy blue, where do I start looking, size medium. Will fit these over my ciovita bibs.