Houw Hoek Tour 2015

Cookie88

I loved the vibe, the weather was perfect and overall had a great time.

Was just disappointed with the level of skills. I know it's a race aimed at less technical and fit riders, but there were so many that couldn't ride the basic single track and that really didn't enjoy the first day. I think a lot of people only did day 1 because they were too scared day 2 would be the same.

There wasn't a single bit of singletrack on day 1 that I actually got to ride without stopping. Even after the split at the end, I was stuck behind someone who walked all the switchbacks.

Day 2 was much better and although we had to go slowly along the single track, it was at least flowing.

There were loads of hectic falls. I know of at least 3 that ended peoples rides.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a jol.

We started the first day in the middle of the pack of Fast / Medium riders. Found we were held up a bit in the Single tracks (but also held people up after my one buddy fell of the side of the mountain, I had to clamber down at least 3-4 meters to retrieve him and his bike  :whistling: :blush: )

Second day we set off with the fast guys, and it went a lot better.

Most sublime piece of single track just before the finish!!!! :clap: :thumbup:

I loved the vibe, the weather was perfect and overall had a great time. Was just disappointed with the level of skills. I know it's a race aimed at less technical and fit riders, but there were so many that couldn't ride the basic single track and that really didn't enjoy the first day. I think a lot of people only did day 1 because they were too scared day 2 would be the same. There wasn't a single bit of singletrack on day 1 that I actually got to ride without stopping. Even after the split at the end, I was stuck behind someone who walked all the switchbacks. Day 2 was much better and although we had to go slowly along the single track, it was at least flowing. There were loads of hectic falls. I know of at least 3 that ended peoples rides.

I so agree Ratty. I was amazed at how patient people were with the bottlenecks but clearly there were people who self seeded themselves into the first 2 groups and proceeded to portage every switchback, rock, root and puddle. Loved the vibe and the route and will definitely be back next year.

I so agree Ratty. I was amazed at how patient people were with the bottlenecks but clearly there were people who self seeded themselves into the first 2 groups and proceeded to portage every switchback, rock, root and puddle. Loved the vibe and the route and will definitely be back next year.

Everyone was very patient.  The sad thing for me was to see people really not enjoying themselves and I think for a few it will have put them off doing races for a long time.

photos?

They said they would be on the MTB Adventures facebook page.

Not there yet though.

Everyone was very patient.  The sad thing for me was to see people really not enjoying themselves and I think for a few it will have put them off doing races for a long time.

Love how patience is a celebrated virtue on these 'tours'. And the concern and care shown as it's not a race at all costs. But I agree Ratty - I chatted to quite a few people who were sold the idea that the HHT is 'for beginners'. It may be an introduction to stage events but it ain't for beginners. 

Seeing this was my first event it was fun and mostly well organized.  The atmosphere and comradely at the start, water points and finish points were great.  The views and single tracks were fantastic, especially the last run through the forest towards the finish in Hermanus.  Only painful issue was waiting for slow riders on the sections which flowed so well when a bit of speed was applied.  Will most defiantly join the fast group next year.  Some signs at the beginning of the rutted sections were needed as I needed to help 2 different people after taking large tumbles, could also be rider inexperience.  All and all big ups to the organizers.

More attention will (have to) be given to the control around the voluntary seeding starting system and the enforcement thereof.

This to the largest extent seems to be the main hiccup in what was a very well organized event. :clap:

I had an absolute blast and cannot wait for the pics.

The singletrack climb through the burnt forest was kinda surreal to me.

Nice to meet you Wannabe - hope your mates are healing up.

Gravity.

Good meeting you too.

Ja, his ankle is badly sprained, swollen and very tender. He could not ride Sunday, which is a bummer. But he will heal up quickly.

That burnt section was nice, with that old mudbrick building just to add to the eerie feeling.

The last day was a blast, from start to finish. Especialy that last bit of singletrack to the finish.

Xup, was good meeting you too.

Pity I could not join you guys with the braai, had that dinner thing planned beforehand.

At least AJ and Ash kept you entertained.

More attention will (have to) be given to the control around the voluntary seeding starting system and the enforcement thereof.

This to the largest extent seems to be the main hiccup in what was a very well organized event. :clap:

Thing is ... it's not a race. I was stuck behind a few people and thought of asking for track (and most people will quite happily give way) and then I remembered why I do the event - so I slowed down, gave them some space, looked at some flowers and then rode on. Have to say that the trick is actually to start way back ... then you have the place to yourself.

Archived