2x 10 Chainring questions.

delko

Hi Guys,

I just wana get some answers, is it possible to run a custom chainring option setup?

Like a 26t as a granny and a 32t as the large chainring?

I have a 11-36 shimano casette,

Also can one run a shimano chainring and truvativ chainring next to each other to fit a 11-36 casette?

I am currently running a kmc x10 chain.

My idea ia to get simmiliar gear rations because ussualy on a race I only get stuck on the granny chainring and never use my other chainring so I would like to get smaller "large chainring" and a larger granny gear.

Thank you. :)

Thank you.

Haha not nearly there with my legs, unless I get another sized chainring like a 28t to work with the 11-36 casette.

Thank you for the reply.

Already have a 2x10 setup but am very very keen on a 1x10 setup though

26/32 sounds fine, the rule of thumb is that you can have a maximum tooth variation of 12 with a Shimano set up and 14 with Sram. Although I am currently running a 22/38 with a Sram set up with no problems after a years riding.

http://blistergearreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/104_x_30_detail-1_1024x1024.jpg

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2013/12/01/1385917455187-as97knbm20k2-700-80.jpg

42t on the casette and a 1x setup is on my list. Just not yet :) thank you for the replies and the explaining.

So there wont be any problems running a 2x10 slx chainring next to a sram truvativ chainring?

Thanx guys

Depends on the BCD of both chainrings. If the BCD matches and the chainrings do not have any additional protrusions i do not forsee a problem.

your suggested chainring combimnation 26/32 however sounds odd  

Just to sound extra stupid. What is the favoured 2x front size and rear spread on the cassette? Also if you're running a 1x then what is the usual spread from the 11 through to the 42?

I've been running 24 / 38 on my 2x with 11 - 36 on the back and never really wondered what other ratios people ride. 

Just to sound extra stupid. What is the favoured 2x front size and rear spread on the cassette? Also if you're running a 1x then what is the usual spread from the 11 through to the 42?

I've been running 24 / 38 on my 2x with 11 - 36 on the back and never really wondered what other ratios people ride. 

24/38 with 11/36 is more or less the norm. I run a 28/42 in front with a similar cassette.

On a 1x11 setup the guys usually run a 10/42 at the back and choose a front chain ring that they are comfortable with.

I'm running 38/24 front with 11-36 rear (10 speed 29er). Still use the granny on steep stuff but stay on the big ring most of the time. Only problem with the 38/24 is that its not great for road riding, spin out quite soon and the difference between smallest two cogs is big in terms of cadence. I also suspect that you will spin out too easily with a 32 tooth big ring.

I recently changed from 24/38 to a single 32 with same 11-36 cassette and I haven't missed those extra gears really. Took a few initial rides, but not too long to adjust. 

Im afraid of the long long neverending gravel climbs like at sabie xperience and similiar routes, I know I will be fine doing my normal GP cycle events and trail riding.

Thanx for the reply. Hopefully getting my bike back tomorrow with the fitted chainrings.

Had some gear problems on the past weakend and only my big 36t sprocket's gears would shift, so had a lowest ratio of 1, which sucks were at usn avianto, only bailed at one climb, so I want a 32 to basicly be able to do races with a large ring and rather move away from the granny . Yeah It does sound odd if I dont like it then I will see where to go to next. Decided to get a 26t granny to force my legs to work harder.Will see what work best,I like mashing more than spinning.

Archived