Winterton/Berville (Berg&Bush) accommodation feedback/reviews/suggestions

L.T.G

Hi Hubbers

I'm contemplating a weekend break -not for Berg&Bush- later this year in the Winterton/Bergville area.

I'd like some feedback and suggestions from you Hubbers who've stayed at any of the places in the area for hotels and B&Bs in the area. 

I've stayed at the Purple House in the past when doing Berg&Bush so know have experience there.

Thanks

I am more of a self catering person, we have stayed in Champagne Cottages which was very pleasant. Close to many fun places, closest town is Winterton.

I am looking much forward to this weekend, when my GF and I will be booking into The Ledges Lodge for 7 days. It is also close to All Out Adventures and Royal Natal, as well as some nice rivers and dams to flyfish. Closest town is Bergville.

These two options are also very good value for money at R500-600 a night for self catering, spacious chalets.

I can't wait........work is a buzzkill ATM though.

Was going to suggest purple house..but you know that...so I'll suggest a mates place..tugela river lodge on the winterton ladysmith road. You not gonna meet a nicer and more interesting person than Lee who runs it. There is also winterton Country lodge on the same road

Then from a MTB perspective you cant go wrong with mountain splendor...self catering chalets and great mtb trails..on the champagne castle road

Was going to suggest purple house..but you know that...so I'll suggest a mates place..tugela river lodge on the winterton ladysmith road. You not gonna meet a nicer and more interesting person than Lee who runs it. There is also winterton Country lodge on the same road

Then from a MTB perspective you cant go wrong with mountain splendor...self catering chalets and great mtb trails..on the champagne castle road

Lee Fuller? Great guy!  

See! that's why I asked you guys, I'd completely forgotten about the Tugela River Lodge!

Thanks Stretch :thumbup:

Lee Fuller? Great guy!

See! that's why I asked you guys, I'd completely forgotten about the Tugela River Lodge!

Thanks Stretch [emoji106]

That's the same one..top bloke..heart of gold

http://www.wheretostay.co.za/dumbe2

Dumbe is Sollie Prinsloo, the famous farmer turned trail builder's,  self catering cottages. The views and tranquility are some of the best in the berg!  What's more; "Great wall my china", "Mineshaft", and "Sollie's Folley" is literally a stone's throw away.

Morning guys

On this topic I would like to ask if anyone knows in what condition the Oliviershoek Pass is at the moment?

I would ideally like to take the pass down this weekend, but I will have my bikes on the carrier and do not want to take chances. I drive a Subaru with good ground clearance, but I am just scared that my steed might get damaged.

:eek:

Morning guys

On this topic I would like to ask if anyone knows in what condition the Oliviershoek Pass is at the moment?

I would ideally like to take the pass down this weekend, but I will have my bikes on the carrier and do not want to take chances. I drive a Subaru with good ground clearance, but I am just scared that my steed might get damaged.

:eek:

The pass itself is not to bad, it is the stretch alongside the dam and leading to the pass that is in terrible shape. It is rideable, but at extremely low speed like 30 km/h. This was 6 months ago, I am sure not much has changed. This might help you make up your mind:

http://www.runtheberg.co.za/r74-route-condition/

The pass itself is not to bad, it is the stretch alongside the dam and leading to the pass that is in terrible shape. It is rideable, but at extremely low speed like 30 km/h. This was 6 months ago, I am sure not much has changed. This might help you make up your mind:

http://www.runtheberg.co.za/r74-route-condition/

Hi Sniffie

Hectic that looks bad.....I think I will rather take the long safe route around.

Jeez I hope that fix that road soon, it is so much shorter. I guess it is a 5 year plan?

Thanx for the link.

Dragon Peaks?

They have about 15 to 20 kays of mountain bike track. Good for about a 90 minute ride each day, lots of uphill and then single track downhills.

Hi Sniffie

Hectic that looks bad.....I think I will rather take the long safe route around.

Jeez I hope that fix that road soon, it is so much shorter. I guess it is a 5 year plan?

Thanx for the link.

Sad news is the R74 over Oliviershoek pass has been earmarked for rebuilt more than 6 years ago. Work started and then suddenly everything grinded to a halt. Don't know if the contractors didn't get paid or if they went bankrupt or whatever. Everything has been standing still for years now. The only people benefiting from this situation is the traffic controllers manning the stop and go's. Meanwhile the local farmers and businesses like hotels and lodges are losing income.

Sad news is the R74 over Oliviershoek pass has been earmarked for rebuilt more than 6 years ago. Work started and then suddenly everything grinded to a halt. Don't know if the contractors didn't get paid or if they went bankrupt or whatever. Everything has been standing still for years now. The only people benefiting from this situation is the traffic controllers manning the stop and go's. Meanwhile the local farmers and businesses like hotels and lodges are losing income.

Ridiculous, so it is more of a 10 year plan do redo 17kms om road.........how competent. I read somewhere that the contractors went bankrupt. It is really sad for the farmers and the guest lodges in the area. At least it is such a great area that I will drive around to get to the places I want to be.

All Out Adventures here I come!!!

Ridiculous, so it is more of a 10 year plan do redo 17kms om road.........how competent. I read somewhere that the contractors went bankrupt. It is really sad for the farmers and the guest lodges in the area. At least it is such a great area that I will drive around to get to the places I want to be.

All Out Adventures here I come!!!

Ja what happened is the first contractor bought himself a lekker new ranger etc...ripped up the road and did the base layer and then ran out of money...it went into the local government black hole and then was eventually retendered....New contractor had to rip up the new base layer because it was now stuffed from people driving on it...so he bought a ranger...ripped it up....did the base layer...and.....ran out of money....and that's the last I heard

Ja what happened is the first contractor bought himself a lekker new ranger etc...ripped up the road and did the base layer and then ran out of money...it went into the local government black hole and then was eventually retendered....New contractor had to rip up the new base layer because it was now stuffed from people driving on it...so he bought a ranger...ripped it up....did the base layer...and.....ran out of money....and that's the last I heard

Oh no that's just frikkin unbelievable. Hehehe I can't help laughing at these stories. How two bigheads have screwed up so many honest farmers' and lodge owners' businesses......Some people need to be taught a lesson the hard way. Where is The Punisher when you need him?

:ph34r:

Archived