Cervelo S3 versus R3 Decisions, decisions!

globaledge

Hi all. Hope this falls into this forum!

I'm riding a 2005 R3 Cervelo and looking to upgrade. I've been thinking of the new R3 or S3 and I'd appreciate hearing from current owners. International forums talk about the S3 having superior Aero, but it has in the past suffered from a harder ride with a skittery front end. The newer S3 seems to have made improvements to the ride and comfort and stiffness.  I've enjoyed my old R3 with Corima tubeless wheels. The newer R3 has apparently also improved stiffness in the BB and head tube and still favoured by riders on rougher roads and hills (up). Weight difference between the two is marginal at 130g. The S3 is a bit pricier. Riders seem to either like the looks of the R3 or S3, although some say the R3 looks like a lot of bikes out there, whereas the S3 does look a bit cooler to some. Not a big issue me.

I'm an "older" rider and will probably not improve my Argus time of 3:12 by much! Live in Cape Town and train around the Point. 

So, I'm interested in comments from riders that know the bikes and the terrain around Cape Town and can help with my decision. I've also spotted a few S5s and the odd R5, but these are way above my pay packet.

Let me know what you think and pics of bikes would also be good.

Cheers Keith

• 1 year later...

Hi all. Hope this falls into this forum!

I'm riding a 2005 R3 Cervelo and looking to upgrade. I've been thinking of the new R3 or S3 and I'd appreciate hearing from current owners. International forums talk about the S3 having superior Aero, but it has in the past suffered from a harder ride with a skittery front end. The newer S3 seems to have made improvements to the ride and comfort and stiffness.  I've enjoyed my old R3 with Corima tubeless wheels. The newer R3 has apparently also improved stiffness in the BB and head tube and still favoured by riders on rougher roads and hills (up). Weight difference between the two is marginal at 130g. The S3 is a bit pricier. Riders seem to either like the looks of the R3 or S3, although some say the R3 looks like a lot of bikes out there, whereas the S3 does look a bit cooler to some. Not a big issue me.

I'm an "older" rider and will probably not improve my Argus time of 3:12 by much! Live in Cape Town and train around the Point. 

So, I'm interested in comments from riders that know the bikes and the terrain around Cape Town and can help with my decision. I've also spotted a few S5s and the odd R5, but these are way above my pay packet.

Let me know what you think and pics of bikes would also be good.

Cheers Keith

Hi Keith,

Which way did you eventually decide?  The S3 / R3 will also be on my list when I decide to upgrade...

Hi  Keith

I had the previous S2 (2013) and now have a 2016 S3. The difference between the latest S2 and S3 is only the fork is slightly different on the S3. Could get into the technicalities of it but Cervelo.com would do it better justice than I.

What are you being quoted for an S3? The reason I ask is that for the minimal difference betwee n the S2 and S3, the S3 might not be worth the extra coin and just buy the S2 which I think is around 45.

Now to get to your question.  Since Cervelo entered my radar I have always preferred their range of Aero bikes being the S range hence bought the S2 initially. Cervelo have always given me top class service an now that the distributor has changed and CErvelo sponsor a ZA team they should start becoming much more available and retain values. (if that is a consideration)

Aero seems to be faster than weight reduction, I say go aero. The position is more agro though so there is a trade off. Come to jhb, ride my S3 if you like and you size 58.

R3 is also a great bike, if you want to be aggressive S3, if  comfort is more the criteria R3. The difference at the end line will be minimal anyway.

Edited by IceCreamMan

I rode the R5 last year, and was lucky enough to ride the S5 this year. While these are both amazing bikes in their own right, if I had to choose (and I was paying), I would go for the R5. But it isn't an easy choice.

The S5 is the supercar equivalent of bicycles. It's loud. It's brash, It's fast. It turns heads. There is no such thing as a gentle coffee ride on this monster. It's flat out all the time. And it feels really really good. Ten out of ten on the smile-o-nometer.

The R5 is the understated cousin. More Jaguar Maserati than Lamborgini. This is the regal prince of the bicycle world. But don't be fooled by its softer lines, it's unassuming paint job, and it's gentle curves. The beast can be quickly coaxed out of this fine bike, and it can handle anything you throw at it. As far as an all round bike goes, you won't find anything better.

If you're still looking towards the end of the year, several S5's will be on the market at rather good rates... 

I'm in Cape Town, so if you'd like to take mine for a spin, I'm sure we can organise something.

post-275-0-17554100-1469541419_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still looking towards the end of the year, several S5's will be on the market at rather good rates... 

What price range would that be? DA builds?

Another question:  From what I could see, Team DDD only used the S5 on the TdF, even the climbing stages.  Any reason for that?  I thought the R5 was the climber's bike...

If you eventually want to start duathlon/triathlons, the S3 is the better option.

I have an R3, and had the Alu Soloist and the carbon Soloist, and of the three the Alu soloist was for me the best overall bike. Strange but true

Another question:  From what I could see, Team DDD only used the S5 on the TdF, even the climbing stages.  Any reason for that?  I thought the R5 was the climber's bike...

I can't give you a price just yet, but I'll ask so long.

It's a Di2 build.

The S5 goes uphill pretty well - I couldn't really tell too much of a difference on the climbs. It's an aero road bike, so it does everything quite well, and the faster it goes, the faster it wants to go.

I rode the R5 last year, and was lucky enough to ride the S5 this year. While these are both amazing bikes in their own right, if I had to choose (and I was paying), I would go for the R5. But it isn't an easy choice.

What would your reason be for preferring the R5?

What would your reason be for preferring the R5?

Don't get me wrong - I love the S5. But the R5 was a slightly more comfortable ride and not as twitchy. And you don't look silly when you go slowly on it.

SA RRP for an S5 DA Di2 with HED wheels R195K

The S5 is the supercar equivalent of bicycles. It's loud. It's brash, It's fast. It turns heads. There is no such thing as a gentle coffee ride on this monster. It's flat out all the time. And it feels really really good. Ten out of ten on the smile-o-nometer.

The R5 is the understated cousin. More Jaguar Maserati than Lamborgini. This is the regal prince of the bicycle world. But don't be fooled by its softer lines, it's unassuming paint job, and it's gentle curves. The beast can be quickly coaxed out of this fine bike, and it can handle anything you throw at it. As far as an all round bike goes, you won't find anything better.

I'm in Cape Town, so if you'd like to take mine for a spin, I'm sure we can organise something.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Will there be any R3's on the market at year end for a good price?

Will there be any R3's on the market at year end for a good price?

There might be a couple of R5's. There might also be some 2nd hand ones from last year...