Voortrekker Monument Mugging

Belgarath

Morning

Yesterday one of my school boys was attacked, tied up and kicked around a bit. It apparently happened near the railway line. They made off with the lot. He was alone, so that is one issue, was training for Nationals this weekend.

Anyone else had similar experience at the Monument? It is a "pay-for-entry" national park, so I'm little confused about the bastards' presence.

Be safe. Try to ride in groups (although I almost never do :eek: )

Not the first mugging in the last few weeks, they are targeting Klapperkop, Monument and around groenkloef,  

I like to go there on Friday's after work and trailrun or mtb.

This is now the 3rd one I know of and as far as I know it was all on that side of the monument

Not the first mugging in the last few weeks, they are targeting Klapperkop, Monument and around groenkloef,  

Probably the same set of bastards.

The Voortrekker Monument fence is unfortunately not a safety fence but a game fence so it will not keep muggers out. They hide and sleep in the no-man's-land between the Monument's fence and the highway. Apply the same caution when you use the trails as what you would when using Groenkloof as they also have regular incidents! There are NO safe place to ride, some places only have lower risk than others. So at Monument, keep away from the forest sections north of Fort Schanskop - that is also why we shy away from these areas now when designing the GC XCO Cup race tracks.

We're working on the safety at Voortrekker Monument!

This must be the same incident i saw on Facebook:

BIKE JACKING WARNING AT VOORTREKKER MONUMENT - Yesterday my son Chad Fikkert was violently bike jacked in the grounds of Voortrekker Monument. He was beaten up, tied up etc, has scratches and bruises but nothing broken fortunately. When we spoke to Voortrekker they admitted that this had happened before, yet no warnings of bike jackings in the grounds are posted and security measures had not been increased after the 1st incident. PLEASE be super careful when riding at Voortrekker and always ride in groups of 3 or more as there seems to be a trend. Attached is a pic of Chad's PYGA 650b Carbon black and white with XO group set. Anyone in the Pretoria Johannesburg area please check out as many pawn shops, Cash Crusaders etc for the attached pic. Please share as much as possible to increase exposure to this horrible trend.

post-1099-0-84892200-1429772005_thumb.jpg

I spoke to the monument people today, as I want to join the friends of the monument club.

Issue is that in that small little bush between monument grounds, freedom park and the freeway, there is actually a squatter camp. And they are there to stay for now. So they patrol daily, but due to the dense bush, it is difficult to spot anyone hiding.

They can do all they can, but until but as long as the camp is there, these incidents will occur

Their advise is to avoid that area, or make sure you are in groups when you do

Such a pity..

Since this so called xeno has flared up I have noticed a significant increase in vagrants along most routes including the Spruit.  Take care out there everyone.

This must be the same incident i saw on Facebook:

BIKE JACKING WARNING AT VOORTREKKER MONUMENT - Yesterday my son Chad Fikkert was violently bike jacked in the grounds of Voortrekker Monument. He was beaten up, tied up etc, has scratches and bruises but nothing broken fortunately. When we spoke to Voortrekker they admitted that this had happened before, yet no warnings of bike jackings in the grounds are posted and security measures had not been increased after the 1st incident. PLEASE be super careful when riding at Voortrekker and always ride in groups of 3 or more as there seems to be a trend. Attached is a pic of Chad's PYGA 650b Carbon black and white with XO group set. Anyone in the Pretoria Johannesburg area please check out as many pawn shops, Cash Crusaders etc for the attached pic. Please share as much as possible to increase exposure to this horrible trend.

attachicon.gif11134156_10153373263759750_7023188446026422120_n.jpg

That's one and the same.

I spoke to the monument people today, as I want to join the friends of the monument club.

Issue is that in that small little bush between monument grounds, freedom park and the freeway, there is actually a squatter camp. And they are there to stay for now. So they patrol daily, but due to the dense bush, it is difficult to spot anyone hiding.

They can do all they can, but until but as long as the camp is there, these incidents will occur

Their advise is to avoid that area, or make sure you are in groups when you do

Such a pity..

Accidently set the piece of bush alight?....... :ph34r: