New Klapperkop trails

LazyTrailRider

Spookskip is a good ride-able  trail {RED }. The other 2 new one,s on the north side make van gaalens look tame .We are already changing some of those unrideable switchbacks to more rideable one,s .I appreciate the time and trouble somebody has gone to make trails, but the north routes switchbacks are to tight for 99% of riders and the steep drop-off section is not rideable 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blitzer, please don't change marked trails. The trails on Klapperkop were specifically planned, developed and paid for, and are not just there by chance.

If you struggle to ride something, rather practice it multiple times to improve your skills. Brolloks en Bittergal is a black route, and is intended as such. If you're not up the requirements of a black route, stick to the other trails until you've developed the necessary skills to tackle it safely and confidently. There are many riders in the area who are skilled enough and desperately need and welcome more technically challenging trails. Trails like these are built for them.

Be safe out there everyone! Here's to improved skills and fun riding!

Spookskip is a good ride-able  trail {RED }. The other 2 new one,s on the north side make van gaalens look tame .We are already changing some of those unrideable switchbacks to more rideable one,s .I appreciate the time and trouble somebody has gone to make trails, but the north routes switchbacks are to tight for 99% of riders and the steep drop-off section is not rideable 

The main attraction for me to Klapperkop is the fact that parts of it is not rideable by 99% of riders.  There are so many locations for everyday riders (e.g. Groenkloof just across the road).  Don't take me wrong, if you're putting effort into trails, that is awesome and certainly well appreciated.  We should just leave some trails, even if only one or two, for the not 99% to challenge themselves...

Blitzer, please don't change marked trails. The trails on Klapperkop were specifically planned, developed and paid for, and are not just there by chance.

If you struggle to ride something, rather practice it multiple times to improve your skills. Brolloks en Bittergal is a black route, and is intended as such. If you're not up the requirements of a black route, stick to the other trails until you've developed the necessary skills to tackle it safely and confidently. There are many riders in the area who are skilled enough and desperately need and welcome more technically challenging trails. Trails like these are built for them.

Be safe out there everyone! Here's to improved skills and fun riding!

+1000000000 om this, don't change it, there are very few places in pta where one can try and develop better skill.

Exactly what he said!

I always thought the red route was other way round :blink:

Hi Nibali, 

The red route is a newly designed route, that makes use of a very small portion of the older trail ( that used to be the other way around.) Please respect the direction of the trail, as it is designed to flow in one direction, riding it incorrectly will create unwanted and unnecessary erosion on the trail. 

Have fun out there. 

The new Klapperkop trails are perfect as they are Blitzer! The guys who built them put a lot of hard work and planning in developing the trails! Please DO NOT change anything in the trails! The switchbacks are unique to the newly developed trails which are not found elsewhere! It is one of the ONLY trails where XCO racers can go train switchbacks with that character and have a really good technical challenge! We are training there basically every weekend! Please respect the workmanship of the people who actually worked their butts off to make Klapperkop more accessible! If you can't ride sections on a track you have an option :  Practice it till you can ride it! ;) There are more than enough trails that are easier! This is no joke Blitzer! We are a few guys training on those routes so please do not upset the mountain bikers in the area by changing the routes. Respect someone else's initiative and hard work and LEAVE THE TRAILS AS THEY ARE. Those who built it are the only ones allowed to change something to the routes, period! 

If you have suggestions for the trails you can mention them and the management will discuss changes. 

We therefore thank everyone reading this for their cooperation.

It looks very nice, so nice indeed. I won't go ride there due to safety reasons. But well done.

One thing that I wish people would start doing is:

Make a small jump here and there, you know? Not even on the main trail, like on a open piece just a small slipway off into a nice little jump after the jump back onto the main trail etc.

Really wish the people who create these trails will do it someday.

Hi Blitzer, thanks for your input with regards to the trails. 

The new loop has been specifically designed to be more technically challenging as Pretoria has been lacking in any decent training grounds for our up and coming racing talent. The new section of trail has therefore been built on a black grading with some steep, tight and unavoidable features. 

You do however have the following option if you are not yet comfortable enough with the black route.  

Option 1:

*Ride up Red route

*Ride down blue

or Option 2: 

*Ride up Blue

*Ride down blue

Just to let you know, there are plans to extend the trails further in the near future, and this will include more gradual, blue and red graded trails. 

Have fun out there on the trails. 

It looks very nice, so nice indeed. I won't go ride there due to safety reasons. But well done.

Make a small jump here and there, you know? Not even on the main trail, like on a open piece just a small slipway off into a nice little jump after the jump back onto the main trail etc.

Hi Ruan, 

Progression jumps will be added in the near future as well. We will be periodically adding new sections and features to create a mountain bike haven in Pretoria. Safety is also being looked at.

The new Klapperkop trails are perfect as they are Blitzer! The guys who built them put a lot of hard work and planning in developing the trails! Please DO NOT change anything in the trails! The switchbacks are unique to the newly developed trails which are not found elsewhere! It is one of the ONLY trails where XCO racers can go train switchbacks with that character and have a really good technical challenge! We are training there basically every weekend! Please respect the workmanship of the people who actually worked their butts off to make Klapperkop more accesible! If you can't ride sections on a track you have a few options : Practice it till you can actually ride it or go ride somewhere else! There are more than enough trails that are easier! This is no joke Blitzer! We are a few guys training on those routes so please do not upset the mountain bikers in the area by changing the routes. Respect someone else's initiative and hard work and LEAVE THE TRAILS AS THEY ARE. Those who built it are the only ones allowed to change something to the routes, period!

If you have suggestions for the trails you can mention them and the management will discuss changes.

This message was empowered by management. Failing to adhere to this warning will result in breaking the rules and regulations already put in place for the newly created trails and the reserve and will not be tolerated.

We therefore thank everyone reading this for their cooperation.

+1

......plus there is always that section of track next to the fence leading to the golf estate, the climb next to the golf estate and the final 700m of diesel taste in the mouth grinding to the top cattle gate. They have really changed it into a MTB highway when compared to a year ago. Repeat 5x flat out.........

Ruan, have you ridden Wolwespruit recently? They even now have an impressive pump track. The routes allow for some really fun and white knuckle stuff. The black.route.up to Lois avenue and back down (switchback magnus) will sharpen the skills. The big plus.......it is super safe.......Kloof Hospital's emergency facilties is less than 500m from the entrance to the park. Give it horns......

Ruan, have you ridden Wolwespruit recently? They even now have an impressive pump track. The routes allow for some really fun and white knuckle stuff. The black.route.up to Lois avenue and back down (switchback magnus) will sharpen the skills. The big plus.......it is super safe.......Kloof Hospital's emergency facilties is less than 500m from the entrance to the park. Give it horns......

Agreed. Their pumptrack is one of the best in Gauteng, if not the best! Not sure how good Kloof Hospital is, but have no intention of finding out either.

Agreed. Their pumptrack is one of the best in Gauteng, if not the best! Not sure how good Kloof Hospital is, but have no intention of finding out either.

Dirt lab build a new one, google money maker pump track, there is also a youtube video, also in pta!

Hi Nibali, 

The red route is a newly designed route, that makes use of a very small portion of the older trail ( that used to be the other way around.) Please respect the direction of the trail, as it is designed to flow in one direction, riding it incorrectly will create unwanted and unnecessary erosion on the trail. 

Have fun out there.

Can you confirm whether the direction shown on the Klapperkop website is correct, or not? There seems to be confusion amongst a number of posters on this topic.

post-56908-0-37885000-1432357671_thumb.jpg

Yes, this is correct. This also happens to correspond with the actual trail signage on the trails.

There are clear Entry and Exit/no-entry signs posted at the trail start and end. 

post-18173-0-42687600-1432366476_thumb.jpg

Archived