New Klapperkop trails

LazyTrailRider

So, has anyone here taken a spin on the new Klapperkop trails?

Here's a sneak peek of "Brolloks en Bittergal", one of the sections:

There's also "Van Hunks se pyp":

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'll be hanging on to my bike like a baby baboon on his momma's rump on the Bittergal one... :eek: :thumbup:

I wont go and ride those trails! Not safe at all.

Not safe, as in you'll get hijacked? Or, not safe as in, the trails are to dangerous?

Not safe, as in you'll get hijacked? Or, not safe as in, the trails are to dangerous?

Is an in hijacked and armed robbery I assume.  There has been a few reports again.  I believe a couple was robbed yesterday.  Saw it on FB.

Klaperkop, fountains, groenkloof and voortrekker monument is a bit dodgy at the moment.

I spoke to the people from voortrekker. Issue there is there is a squatter camp between voortrekker and freedom park. They just cut the fence and ambush lone riders. Probably the same perps at groenkloof as well.

in groups you should be ok, on your own, good luck..

We did the new trails on Saturday. Very nice and very technical. That's where the heathen takes advantage. We were 9 people riding together. In one place we had to get of to carry bikes up. In the bush were two youngsters looking at us. I am sure the size of the group helped.

The couple that was mugged and abused yesterday is my mother in law and her husband. It happened in Groenkloof! Groenkloof's attitude regarding the incident is shocking.

So without further high jacking this thread. Be careful where you ride. I will not go off road on Klapper kop soon unless in a huge group.

So, has anyone here taken a spin on the new Klapperkop trails?

Here's a sneak peek of "Brolloks en Bittergal", one of the sections:

There's also "Van Hunks se pyp":

Nice! :thumbup:

We need one or two more lines for an Enduro race...

What's your thoughts Martin?

Security in many places likes is now a serious issue. Main problem is the lack of law enforcement in this country.

Have ridden at Klapperkop a few times and it's great, but people always seem to be coming from the wrong direction on one-way trails, despite route markings clearly indicating the direction of travel. Not a lot of people there, but if we can get the numbers, it may become safer. Last time I was there I saw an older man in a blue overall climbing through a hole in the fence with wire-cutters in the one hand and a green fox helmet in the other, not very reassuring... :wacko:

Edit: Also, not sure about new trails there. A lot of routes branching out from the marked trails, but these are not clearly marked and I have no idea where most of them go.

Edit: Also, not sure about new trails there. A lot of routes branching out from the marked trails, but these are not clearly marked and I have no idea where most of them go.

The new trail signage is going up soon, watch this space.

It would be nice to see proper security in this area as it has the ability to become Pretoria's "Cascades MTB Park".

It would be nice to see proper security in this area as it has the ability to become Pretoria's "Cascades MTB Park".

I agree with you Reden.  I still go to KK often and really love riding there.  Fantastic workout for me and challenging enough to make me want to go back.  However, when there are so many "warnings" about safety concerns in the area (Groenkloof, Voortrekker), it does influence the motivation to go riding..... 

Jacking the thread for security issues myself now - I posted a little while ago about one of my schoolboys being ambushed at Monument: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/149889-voortrekker-monument-mugging/

The couple that was mugged and abused yesterday is my mother in law and her husband. It happened in Groenkloof! Groenkloof's attitude regarding the incident is shocking.

This is the first time I've heard about an incident at Groenkloof. Thought it was the safest of the three, take my 4yr old to cycle there... eish.

My guess is it is the same set of booswigte. They've spotted an opportunity...

Anyway... Stopping the hi-jack now...

Archived